Rosa Lee Carter Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 891 students

Student diversity

Posted April 28, 2014

Great school, Great teachers and staff. My son loves the school the teacher is always concern with each kid as they progress!

Posted April 9, 2014

Great school. Both my kids love the school and the teachers are excellent. My kids are performing very well in this school.

Posted September 26, 2013

We are very happy with the school although we only started 1 year ago. Compare from Maryland public and some private schools, RLC exceeded our expectations.

Posted September 24, 2013

Although the school is good, I am a bit depressed about the way students are handled during pickup at morning. There are no rules (K first etc) or anyone comes at anytime and stands anywhere in the queue. I am writing this because, my kid was pushed back from the queue and other kid went ahead. There was no student patrol. In fact friends of student partroling kids come after maybe 15 kids but go in bus with them before even all other kids who have come before them. I would strongly suggest to mentor Patrol to observe discipline during getting on the bus.

Posted September 11, 2013

Great school which does everything well. The teachers are great and hardworking. The only thing that takes away from this is lack of competitive activities and fun options.

Posted September 2, 2013

Love the school! Teachers are great and best school in loudoun county! My kids had a great time

Posted August 15, 2013

this school is the best nice teachers the teachers help you so much. and i can help out so much I love this school.

Posted June 10, 2013

The diversity in this school is non existent. The teacher my son had was horrible. She only had one method for teaching, which did not work for my child. They are very stereotypical and are quick to classify a child b4 offering different strategies. The overall curriculum is good and sound, as the avg teacher seems caring. The front desk is horrid, they never smile and act as if you are bothering them. I am moving just to get out of this school's district. Very sad as my intentions to moving to loudoun county was b/c of the better education for my child.

Posted May 15, 2013

I want to follow this school as it is the prospective school for my little one.

Posted August 28, 2012

This is my daughters 6th year at Rosa Lee Carter ES. She has enjoyed every minute at the school. She loved every teacher she got. She hates holidays because she can t go to school and has to stay home .She had 5 great years and I am sure she will have an excellent 6th year. I admire the principle, the teachers, and the staff members. They are all very caring about the kids. I am a little shocked by the negative comments by the parents. In my opinion the parent s are equally responsible in the education and development of their kids. Depending on the kids development/ability the kids will be placed in more challenging circle at school. I like the way the teachers make the curriculum enjoyable for the kids. They feel more like a play than a lesson.

Posted August 28, 2012

I researched so many schools before we decided to move into the neighborhood for Rosa Lee Carter and am very happy with the school. My children are excited to go to school and are having fun learning.

Posted August 26, 2012

This is my second year as an RLC parent and I have nothing but good things to say about this school. My children enjoy going to school and I feel they are in a safe, caring environment while they are at school. I believe this school provides a great foundation for a lifelong love for education.

Posted June 10, 2012

My kids attend 1st and 3rd grade at RLC. I am fairly impressed with the school in terms of safety, hygiene, healthy learning atmosphere, competitiveness and quality of education. The school's strategy of teaching good values to the kids is commendable. Kid's workload is fairly balanced. Both my kids enjoy going to school and have good friends. Many of the kids at RLC come from well educated & well to-do families, which, I believe, also helps in creating a safe & healthy learning environment. The teachers have always responded promptly to any of my queries. The teachers pay attention to my kid's individual needs, which I liked very much. My kids had a quality time at RLC this year. As a parent who wants to provide the best available opportunities to my kids, I believe Rosa Lee Carter is a good place to start!

Posted March 12, 2012

I just moved in to the community and my children came from Belmont Station. I strongly feel that my two girls 1st and 2nd grade are not being challenge academically. My daughters beg me everyday to take them back to Belmont Station. The teachers are absent to often and the children have substitutes that of course don't have a plan. I cannot afford to send my children to private school and I am very unhappy with the school. I also agree that the principal makes excuses for the school not being up to standard. I wish I could transfer my children back to Belmont Station which is a great School.

Posted October 21, 2011

this school is awsome and 8 out of 10 but i got to say millrun has 9 out of 10 and rosa lees great though

Posted October 9, 2011

The school has awesome facilities. But the quality of education that is being offered is dependent on few teachers. My daughter has been here since grade 1. There is a lot of concern about the quality of education that is offered by the parents. But the principal tries to defend that the school is well. The kids are not challenged, often there are no home works and teachers do not stick to any gameplan, mediocrity is ok. For kids who are brilliant and want to be stretched, they will be very disappointed.

Posted October 3, 2011

Hello, I am a possible future RLC parent. I am 27 and I have two girls ages 5 and 7. I made a choice to move to this area for my children and their education. Overall to a nicer area of Loudoun County. I was walking around in the neighborhood and came across a couple of middle school kids who was doing a fundraiser and they asked what school my kids would be attending because they wanted to know if it was going to be the same school they once attended. So I told them that they would possibly be attending RLC. The boys eyes lit up with excitement and only spoke positive things about the school! So that is what brought me to this cite today. After reading the reviews I was a little disappointed in a lot of the review in regards to the academic program not being challenging enough. I am in a debate between public and private school so keeping up with the reviews of the school is important to me. We will see how RLC does this year in school ratings so that I can make my determination next year between public or private school.

Posted August 11, 2011

Our son will be a 3rd grader at Rosa Lee Carter this fall. We have been very happy with the teachers, administration and facilities. Our son has been challenged and very interested in all of his subjects. We have nothing but positive things to say about RLC. It is a great school!

Posted May 13, 2011

My daughter almost finished the first grade there. The school is fantastic, great facility, and great staff and she learnt a lot ! For kids beyond their reading level and math, the teacher formed different study groups to encourage learning. Most of all, everyday when she comes back, she is really happy and excited to share the stories/activities happened in school. Thumbs up with no reservations.

Posted April 26, 2011

My family's experience at Rosa Lee Carter has been wonderful, and I am surprised by some of the reviews. The school is very focused on academics, and my children have never been bored. Children are assessed and placed into groups based on their level. I have a gifted child, and one who has ADHD. The administrators, teachers, specialists and counselors have worked hard to make sure my children receive what they need. In fact, the principal goes into the classrooms regularly and gets to know each child. Because of the staff's caring and devotion, my children have been very successful. I would recommend this school to anyone.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

154 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Students without disabilities91%
Limited English proficient students73%
Proficient in English93%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students79%

Not economically disadvantaged93%
Students without disabilities94%
Proficient in English95%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • No accreditation rating was reported for the 2007-2008 school year.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

43330 Loudoun Reserve Dr