Posted December 05, 2014
D. G. Cooley has been rejuvenated with the new campus and administration at the school and county offices. A few bumps are to be expected but everyone seems to finally be working together.

Posted August 16, 2013
My child is moving to the 2nd grade this fall. So, I can only comment on the lower campus. My family are local and we have live here in the county most of our lives. I am a little tired of people who have moved from larger communities complaining. We are a small county. We do not have many large industries here in the county that provide tax monies. This is a public school and with that there are going to be things you don't always agree with. My child has only had the best of experiences with the teachers and support staff as well as the principal. The school takes bullying as a serious problem and have programs to help students understand and know what to do in these situations.

Posted May 15, 2013
Finally, I understand the vast bullying problem my child had at this school. Several teachers are secret "bullies" themselves. The school board is attempting to increase the salary scale which will hopefully attract a better caliber of teacher, but so many who are tenured are left. And there's nothing anyone can do about them. So very very sad to have such a poor performing school in such a beautiful county.

Posted May 24, 2012
Had a not so good year 2011-12. My family moved here from the Prince William County school district. We had made the mistake of not checking into reviews of the schools before moving here. There is so much bullying and nonsense that goes on in the schools here, it's unbelievable, and NOT talked about. My older daughter was in Johnson Williams and she had a terrible time. My younger one in cooley cried everyday before and after school. We will be moving back to Northern VA this summer.

Posted March 05, 2012
This school is a joke! Look at the test scores they really speak for themselves.

D G Cooley Elementary School 4

Posted June 06, 2011
Lots of changes in 2010-2011. I currently have a daughter at Cooley. Several of her teachers are wonderful! Two are not clicking with the children (and my daughter tends to like everyone) and one is not returning next year. I give props to Dr Geyer and Mr Carmichael for weeding out the staff as quick as possible. Thankfully the old principal is gone. She was the holdback for this school for way too long. So many teachers genuinely love and care for the kids. And staff. They implemented an excellent and creative PE program this year. May not be perfect, what school is, but they are quickly heading in the right direction. To the negative comments, I blame parental involvement. It is either too much or not enough. It is not ONLY up to the school to teach the kids, look in the mirror. I have 3 kids in Clarke schools and can count my serious complaints on one hand.

Posted June 06, 2011
2010 saw so many changes in this school. New super in the last couple years. Old Principal out, Dr Geyer in. He has removed many problem teachers and ones riding the wave to retirement. It is no longer multi-age learning as one called it. It is now grades 2-5. Some teachers are still unrealistic about homework especially upper grades. They implemented a creative PE program and Arts program with new teachers. I have a child at Cooley now, and look forward to my other 3 kids coming up thru this school. In a year or two, this will become the prek-1 school. Cooley will relocate to the soon to be former high school. I feel our kids get a great public education because we the parents are on top of things. If my kid fails in school, it is my fault not a teachers. If my child has a bad teacher, report them and move the child. I do know of 3 less desirable teachers (one is a screamer as children see her) that is not returning. We will miss the principal Dr Geyer! He seems to have his thumb on the pulse. Clarke Schools are wonderful.

Posted December 03, 2010
Agree with the previous poster. This is a very disorganized school. I registed my child with three staff standing around with blank looks on their faces. Her classroom teacher turned out to be a "screamer" and most of the class seemed lost while I was there. There is no FT Nurse or Principal and instruction seems at random or whim.

Posted September 20, 2010
All I have to say is whom ever the person is that rated D.G. Cooley with 5 stars either works there or is taking some powerful medication to mask the disgraceful way this school is ran. My kids came from a private school, they are well ahead of most children in there class. Their teachers seem to think they are behind or right where they need to be. I've seen their text books, right now they are being taught things from the 2nd grade and they are in the 4th grade, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! If I had the ability to give them a nagative star I would!!!! I hope everyone that works there sees this and take some sort of action, because the children seriously deserve much better. There is just one good thing, the parents do get involved if that didn't happen I believe it would be total disaster.

Posted January 16, 2010

D G Cooley Elementary School
34 Westwood Rd, Berryville, VA  22611
Last modified D G Cooley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
D G Cooley Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top