Posted December 05, 2013
It is a good place for kids to go and have fun while learning. They don't call the grade by first or second except in a rainbow patter. Read, orange, yellow, green, turquoise,blue and purple. purple is the 6,7,8th graders and the classes are mixed. i think it gives a chance to interact with older and younger kids. The math levels are separated on how much the student know. From pre-Algebra 1-Geomatry.

Posted October 21, 2011
Blacksburg New School is a great school! This is our second year at BNS and we couldn't be happier! The teachers are top notch, and the environment is peaceful and welcoming. We really feel embraced here as a part of the community. The children are encouraged to be good friends to one another, and they are taught to treat each other with kindness and respect. There is an excellent balance between academics and the arts, as well as solid education about environmental preservation. Diversity is embraced at BNS as well. The teachers welcome the parents to be involved with their child's education, and there is an open flow of communication between parents and teachers, which we appreciate VERY much! The class sizes are small too, which empowers the teachers to better individualize instruction. If you're looking for academic excellence as well as programs in arts, music, nature, and positive citizenship within a community, then BNS is the right school for your child!

Posted October 21, 2011

Posted October 20, 2011
Our family just adores this placel! Our kids love going to school and enjoy the challenges of the cirriculum while learning much more than book smarts. They have developed a passion for learning, a strong sense of community, and a positive respect for their teachers and fellow students. This school is really trying to change the world one student at a time and we are happy to be part of that experience!

Posted October 13, 2011
This school is a gem which would be amazing to find in a major city let alone the small city of Blacksburg. It has a strong emphasis on academics as well as the arts and music. Its teachers are exceptional and enthusiastic. The student graduates consistently ranks as the top in test scores and grades at the well-regarded Blacksburg High School. Just as importantly as giving the students a strong academic background, BNS instills students with a love of learning that they carry with them for the rest if their lives. There are many great things about living in Blacksburg, but this school with its caring environment, great teachers and wonderful involved parents is my favorite thing about living here. My children love school, love their classmates and teachers and will take this experience as a gift for the rest if their lives.

Posted October 13, 2011
We are new converts to the school. I can truly say it has been a wonderful experience. Everyone I've come in contact with, from the director and teachers to fellow parents are very accepting and welcoming. I dreamed of a school like this and my son had been to about 4 preschools, none of which met my criteria for my kid. Some were academically lacking and others seemed to truly be run like a boot camp. I LOVE the people and relaxed atmosphere!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't say enough!!!!

Posted September 16, 2011
This school is absolutely fabulous; can't say enough good things about it. I am a meticulous researcher, an idealist even, so I took my time and really did my homework. The people, standards, education and personal attention given to my child always go above and beyond. Lots of creativity and encouragement; the best academic and social environment possible. So very worth it!

Posted February 19, 2010
My son completed all K-8 grades at BNS and is now in his first year at our local public high school. He was, of course, very well-prepared academically going into his freshman year--and his current teachers have commented several times on what a pleasant and engaged student he is. He was encouraged to understand his own learning styles during his elementary and middle school years and that is really paying off. Equally important: he learned that school can and should be a place of laughter and kindness.

Posted February 18, 2010

Posted February 17, 2010
We feel very fortunate to have this gem of a school in such a small town. In terms of quality it compares to some of the best schools in the country and the cost is a fraction of what one would pay for a similar school in a larger city. My son loves school and learning and that speaks volumes for the commitment of the teachers to engage each child.

Blacksburg New School
2500 North Main Street, Blacksburg, VA  24060
Last modified Blacksburg New School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Blacksburg New School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.