No rating

St. John Neumann Academy

Private | PK-8 | 90 students

SJNA is known for its high academic standards in a faith-based setting.

Living in Blacksburg

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $210,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted July 30, 2014

We sent our child to SJNA after 2 semesters in the public middle school. We have 3 other children who went to public school, I was a public school teacher, and never pulled one of our kids from a public school setting. It was the best decision we made, academically and socially. SJNA fosters a learning environment with high academic expectations , but yet addresses individual academic needs-gladly. The teachers went above and beyond in the middle school to make sure concepts were learned and understood. There was a science project where the students built rockets and each one launched their rocket on a class field trip. Kindness to one another and no bullying was an observation our child noticed immediately being there. The assignments in English were rigorous , but if needed to be modified to meet an individual need, were. Middle school years can be very difficult, and I was concerned about the change for our child because we did so midyear. It was the best thing we did--when I picked my child up from public middle school the last day-- she never looked back. I wish I discovered it sooner.

Posted July 28, 2014

St. John Nemann Academy has very dedicated and caring teachers and staff. My children have thrived academically, have really grown in confidence, and my oldest have transitioned easily and successfully to high school. Wonderful, wonderful school!

Posted June 12, 2014

If I could give less than one star I would. My sons attended this school in prek and 3rd grade this past year (2013-2014. At first they seemed fantastic, but when I couldn't send them back because of personal reasons, they treated my children terribly. To give you an idea on what happened my preschool age son didn't even get a paper when he walked for graduation. I spent hours consoling him. I have spoken to Mrs. Wharton and his prek teacher. None of them have even apologized. My older son was graded on a much harsher scale after they found out we weren't coming back and he experienced bullying from both the students and the staff at times. I can't speculate as to what their thoughts were. My oldest son is dyslexic. They had made some learning plan modifications initially, and then just pushed him through the class by the end with no consideration at all. This experience was a nightmare for my family, but I'm glad I found out how they really were before I spent another year of tuition and gave them more time to influence my children. Do not make the mistake I did.

Posted December 2, 2013

I would recommend the school through 2nd grade, but beyond that you are doing your children a disservice. We had several children attend SJNA, but we were shocked when they matriculated to public middle-school and were unprepared for the academic load and content. Our children are smart and received A's at this school, but they were woefully unprepared when they left. It is a safe learing environment, but it is way too heavy on religion & PE, and weak on science and mathematics. You are paying for grades at SJNA, not an education.

Posted October 30, 2013

St. John Neumann Academy (SJNA) in Blacksburg, Virginia is a fantastic school that provides a quality education in a nurturing, wholesome, safe environ. Faculty and staff are professional, caring, creative and motivate students to learn, participate in class and strive to do their very best at all times. Communication is an absolute priority at SJNA. Weekly, the director sends an informative newsletter to parents. Additionally, each grade sends home a weekly newsletter to parents in the student's Friday Folder. The Friday folder contains all of the student's work and tests completed that week, forms to be filled out and returned and more. Weekly grade specific newsletters contain: list of upcoming tests and dates, material that will be introduced the following week, special events and dates, and so on. Curriculums are challenging, engaging, develop excellent writing skills, communication skills, creativity, critical thinking, self-confidence, and leadership skills. Latin, French, Music, Art, and PE are also included; Classes are small. Every day after school my children voluntarily share their school day with me. My children have attended since preschool and love SJNA.

Posted October 22, 2013

St. John Neumann Academy is absolutely amazing! The small class size provided an excellent teacher-student interaction. I really felt like my teachers knew me and cared to learn about me, whereas when I went to public high school, I barely knew most of my teachers and they barely knew me. I am a junior in college now and I have been back to visit the teachers and students at SJNA many times since I graduated 8th grade there, and I have also worked in the after school care program as a way to give back to the school that gave so much to me. I have not been back to visit my high school once. Personally, I think this shows how much SJNA changed my life.

Posted October 5, 2013

This school is awesome. I was nervous last year when I dropped my child off at pre-school for the first time. The director told me to relax that SJNA was like a big family. I was skeptical. Fast forward one year. Not only do I know the children and their parents and some of their grandparents in my child's class. I know several other families throughout the school. It is a big family and everyone is watching out for your kid and trying to help them reach their potential. The director greats each child and family personally each day and is at every school function. She is amazing. My child's teachers are also wonderful and give my child plenty of attention. SJNA is a little paradise in the academic world.

Posted October 2, 2013

Both of my children attended St. John Neumann Academy. When they entered the public school system in 9th grade, they were great writers and researchers. Both of them participated in National History Day competing at Regionals all the way to the National competition. I love the family atmosphere and the rigorous academics. There is no bullying and all the teachers know every student by name. I give this school 5 stars and highly recommend it.

Posted October 1, 2013

My school is amazing in every way. I am a parent and a staff member. My school prepares the children for many life experiences. It prepares them for high school academics, peer pressure, and it serves as a moral compass. The teaching staff is top-notch and they love the children and challenge the children at the same time. There is no better school! The environment is welcoming and no bullying is tolerated. The children are taught to love all and to be kind to all. Most people who come here, never want to leave!

Posted October 1, 2013

SJNA teachers are excellent - they are supportive and passionate about their student's success. SJNA is a wonderful community of families, learners and teachers. Student academic outcomes are well above the state and local benchmarks. The school, students and teachers are winning more awards and are increasingly recognized for excellence in education. Our family loves SJNA - we could not be more pleased by our decision to enroll and support the school.

Posted September 30, 2013

St. John Neumann Academy in Blacksburg, VA is an excellent school. The teachers, staff and parents are committed to providing an academic and faith-filled education and environment in the Catholic tradition. I love the fact the class sizes are small and intimate- this adds to the learning experience for the children. The teachers are so caring and compassionate- they have a true love for teaching and it is reflected in the caring attitudes and enthusiasm the students have for helping others and the community. All the children are surrounded by faith and the support of fellow students. They are learning to be wonderful stewards to society, to be compassionate people and to stand up for what they believe in. SJNA could improve and serve even more families in the area if they had a larger facility. They have already outgrown 2 previous locations and are almost at capacity in their current location. This has not stopped or even hindered the spirit of the school, but I think it could grow by leaps and bounds in a newer building. It would also allow the added benefit of a more diverse sports program- they are doing wonderfully with what they can currently offer! THANK YOU SJNA!

Posted September 27, 2013

St. John Neumann is a school that allows the students to achieve their highest potential. It is an environment that is nurturing yet challenging while involving the children in community service projects throughout the school year. They are encouraged to be peacemakers and foster a hands on learning experience both academically and socially. The teachers work closely with the parents through regular communication on how the students are progressing. Finally, the children are eager to go to school; that speaks for itself.

Posted September 25, 2013

I have two kids at SJNA in Blacksburg,VA. We love the area and adore the school. You can tell the teachers, staff and the director have a true passion for teaching all the children and they have such a great energy and enthusiasm that is contagious to the kids and parents. The class sizes are smaller than most of the schools around here so the kids get more out of the classroom experience. SJNA also teaches children character, responsibility and accountability. It's amazing to see how the older classes guide the younger students, I would suggest this school to everyone.

Posted September 25, 2013

St. John Neumann Academy has given our family happiness and peace of mind. Our 3 kids started school at the local public school. They were eager to learn and be in school. While in that school our oldest no longer wanted to read because of ridicule from the teacher and no longer wanted to eat lunch because of bullying in the cafeteria. We moved our children into St. John Neumann Academy and they are beaming with life again. They are all happy to go to school each and every day. Our oldest loves to read again and wants to succeed for himself and for the teachers. The small classrooms are fantastic and our kids have noticed how they are able to get more help from the teachers if they need it. All 3 of our children have also commented on several occasions about how wonderful it is that all of the students at SJNA care for each other across all of the grades. Our children are challenged with their school work, but have fun while learning. Academically this school is preparing our children for high school and well beyond. They are also learning values that will keep them prepared for life. Also, the school gives back to so many people & organizations and that is wonderful!

Posted September 25, 2013

SJNA is a family saver. After having 3 children in public schools, at 2 locations, SJNA brought happiness and contentment to our family. Our oldest child attended public school from the start, and it was only ok, but because we had not experienced an alternative, we did not know any better. When the second child started school and experienced bullying from a teacher, we realized that public school was not providing for the needs of our children. SJNA has small class sizes (5-15), with highly motivated and caring teachers who learn a child's strengths and weaknesses and work diligently to expand their minds, and where each child receives time and attention in and out of the classroom. The curriculum contains character building content appropriate to each grade level. This content is augmented by the interaction that occurs between all grades. The character building material is lived daily in the school, and not just given lip service, as I experienced in the public schools. Kids like SJNA, and is where families genuinely care about the education their child(ren) receive. This mix creates an environment where knowledge & growth happen in children, and gives families contentment.

Posted September 25, 2013

St. John Neumann Academy in Blacksburg Virginia is an excellent school that offers a nurturing environment for academic success. The administration and teachers all work together towards a common goal with similar standards and expectations. I had many questions when touring this school for my children, and I was welcomed in a warm and welcoming manner. All of my questions were answered and I felt well informed in making a decision for enrollment. There are many things I liked about this school even before the first day: the tuition is reasonable and there are three options for a payment schedule, and our family was instantly included in "school happenings."Once we started with the new school year we continued to be pleased with the overall functioning of the school, attitudes of staff members, and quality of the education. Administration clearly works diligently in keeping a structured academic environment while providing more in depth learning opportunities and fun activities. The education received is top notch and my child is far ahead of her peer group in academics, maturity, and relational skills. Coming to this school was the best decision we have made for our children.

Posted September 25, 2013

My daughter has attended this school for three years this year. I absolutetly love it. She has never attended another school and I don't intend to ever switch her to another school unless high school classes are not offered...which I hope we can manage in the future! The teachers and staff, along with the parents are wonderdul. Everyone cares for the kids as if they were their own. There is no comparison! The small classrooms allow the kids plenty of one on one attention which all kids deserve. There are not regulations on our curriculum , the types that public schools deal with anyway so our children learn so much more! The testing we do yearly proves how much the students excel. One of the things that really shows me how great our school is , especially since I have a younger child, is the way the upper school kids( middle school age) interact with the kids and one another. Every one of them help the little ones and are extremely kind and polite, not just to the children but especially to the teachers and parents. I've never seen that anywhere else. Our parents are invested in their children's futures and it shows:)

Posted September 25, 2013

St. John Neumann Academy was such a wonderful school for my children. From the day we entered the school we knew we had made a new family. The teachers and staff were such a blessing . In the four years my children attended SJNA, they were not only well educated, but loved and respected by each and every one of them, and for this I am eternally grateful. And as for the students, I loved the beautiful bond they had with each other. It's not in every school you find the middle school students playing with the younger children and watching out for them as if they were their little brothers and sisters. SJNA is truly a family, one that grew deep in my heart and for which I will forever be grateful. I was very sad to have to leave the school when we moved away, but I'm thankful we had a chance to know this little piece of heaven.

Posted February 24, 2012

My family has had a wonderful experience at SJNA. My oldest son started there nearly three years ago after attending public school in Blacksburg. The situation we left was very difficult and my son was regressing in that setting. His classroom was unstructured, disorganized, chaotic and stressful. It was such a relief to find a school where teachers love teaching. The positive attitudes of the director and teachers rubs off on the students and my kids are excited to go to school each and every day. I love the commitment to community service as well as the emphasis on character education. Right now, the only thing lacking is a variety of athletic opportunities in middle school, but SJNA is growing and maybe in the future this can be a possibility! I couldn't imagine a better fit for my family.

Posted January 26, 2012

Parents: I read the negative reviews below and feel for the families that encountered problems at SJNA in 2008. The last three years at SJNA has been a blessing for our children and our family s peace of mind. We moved our children from the Blacksburg public school district because of classroom distractions, disobedience, and a few of the teachers. I do not hold that against the public schools, but that is just the way they are structured. In short, our children were falling between the cracks and spoiling because of a few bad apples. I am very pleased with the students, families, and faculty at SJNA. My wife and I never knew what a positive experience our children would face, but education is their top priority. I am sure it is not perfect for all families, but you will have difficulty finding anything wrong with it. I am just a country boy who believes you only get one chance to raise your children the right way. I hope this helps you to make the right decision for your family. Chris Branscome

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Outstanding Community Service, Chamber of (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic
Fax number
  • (540) 302-8020

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Theory
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • National History Day Club
  • Spirit Team
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units

2470 Research Center Dr.