PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Posted May 29, 2016
My granddaughter attended St. John Neumann Academy (SJNA) as a preschooler in the school year that just ended. She will move on to kindergarten there for the the 2016-2017 school year. SJNA combines the academic, spiritual, service and social aspects of education in a way that enables its students to grow and flourish. I highly recommend SJNA to all parents in the New River Valley area. John Barako

St. John Neumann Academy
Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 11, 2015
St. John Neumann Academy (SJNA) recently held a production of "Ringing in Christmas" and it was fantastic to watch. Everyone did a wonderful job and we got plenty of pictures and videos. I'm most impressed with how excited my son was even days/weeks before the event. SJNA has been tremendous for our family and especially for my son because being new to the area, there is so much personal attention paid to the kids that I feel that my son never missed a beat. He has felt involved from the beginning and never seemed to feel isolated. He seems very happy and we thank you and all the wonderful teachers and staff so much.

Posted March 02, 2015
This school prepares its graduates for the challenges of AP courses in high school and as leaders of school and community clubs and organizations as well as role models.

Posted July 30, 2014
We sent our child to SJNA after 2 semesters in the public middle school. We have 3 other children who went to public school, I was a public school teacher, and never pulled one of our kids from a public school setting. It was the best decision we made, academically and socially. SJNA fosters a learning environment with high academic expectations , but yet addresses individual academic needs-gladly. The teachers went above and beyond in the middle school to make sure concepts were learned and understood. There was a science project where the students built rockets and each one launched their rocket on a class field trip. Kindness to one another and no bullying was an observation our child noticed immediately being there. The assignments in English were rigorous , but if needed to be modified to meet an individual need, were. Middle school years can be very difficult, and I was concerned about the change for our child because we did so midyear. It was the best thing we did--when I picked my child up from public middle school the last day-- she never looked back. I wish I discovered it sooner.

Posted July 28, 2014
St. John Nemann Academy has very dedicated and caring teachers and staff. My children have thrived academically, have really grown in confidence, and my oldest have transitioned easily and successfully to high school. Wonderful, wonderful school!

St. John Neumann Academy 1

Posted June 12, 2014
If I could give less than one star I would. My sons attended this school in prek and 3rd grade this past year (2013-2014. At first they seemed fantastic, but when I couldn't send them back because of personal reasons, they treated my children terribly. To give you an idea on what happened my preschool age son didn't even get a paper when he walked for graduation. I spent hours consoling him. I have spoken to Mrs. Wharton and his prek teacher. None of them have even apologized. My older son was graded on a much harsher scale after they found out we weren't coming back and he experienced bullying from both the students and the staff at times. I can't speculate as to what their thoughts were. My oldest son is dyslexic. They had made some learning plan modifications initially, and then just pushed him through the class by the end with no consideration at all. This experience was a nightmare for my family, but I'm glad I found out how they really were before I spent another year of tuition and gave them more time to influence my children. Do not make the mistake I did.

St. John Neumann Academy 1

Posted December 02, 2013
I would recommend the school through 2nd grade, but beyond that you are doing your children a disservice. We had several children attend SJNA, but we were shocked when they matriculated to public middle-school and were unprepared for the academic load and content. Our children are smart and received A's at this school, but they were woefully unprepared when they left. It is a safe learing environment, but it is way too heavy on religion & PE, and weak on science and mathematics. You are paying for grades at SJNA, not an education.

Posted October 30, 2013
St. John Neumann Academy (SJNA) in Blacksburg, Virginia is a fantastic school that provides a quality education in a nurturing, wholesome, safe environ. Faculty and staff are professional, caring, creative and motivate students to learn, participate in class and strive to do their very best at all times. Communication is an absolute priority at SJNA. Weekly, the director sends an informative newsletter to parents. Additionally, each grade sends home a weekly newsletter to parents in the student's Friday Folder. The Friday folder contains all of the student's work and tests completed that week, forms to be filled out and returned and more. Weekly grade specific newsletters contain: list of upcoming tests and dates, material that will be introduced the following week, special events and dates, and so on. Curriculums are challenging, engaging, develop excellent writing skills, communication skills, creativity, critical thinking, self-confidence, and leadership skills. Latin, French, Music, Art, and PE are also included; Classes are small. Every day after school my children voluntarily share their school day with me. My children have attended since preschool and love SJNA.

Posted October 22, 2013
St. John Neumann Academy is absolutely amazing! The small class size provided an excellent teacher-student interaction. I really felt like my teachers knew me and cared to learn about me, whereas when I went to public high school, I barely knew most of my teachers and they barely knew me. I am a junior in college now and I have been back to visit the teachers and students at SJNA many times since I graduated 8th grade there, and I have also worked in the after school care program as a way to give back to the school that gave so much to me. I have not been back to visit my high school once. Personally, I think this shows how much SJNA changed my life.

Posted October 05, 2013
This school is awesome. I was nervous last year when I dropped my child off at pre-school for the first time. The director told me to relax that SJNA was like a big family. I was skeptical. Fast forward one year. Not only do I know the children and their parents and some of their grandparents in my child's class. I know several other families throughout the school. It is a big family and everyone is watching out for your kid and trying to help them reach their potential. The director greats each child and family personally each day and is at every school function. She is amazing. My child's teachers are also wonderful and give my child plenty of attention. SJNA is a little paradise in the academic world.

St. John Neumann Academy
2470 Research Center Dr., Blacksburg, VA  24060
Last modified St. John Neumann Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8