Boyce, VA

Posted June 05, 2014
I am surprised by the negative comments because I have been a student at Powhatan for nine years and have not encountered any problems. I am graduating in a week and am proud to say that i have taken advantage of all of the wonderful things that Powhatan has to offer. The curriculum is challenging and interesting and the teachers have encouraged me to do my best. Individual needs are able to be met because of the small class sizes. There is no favoritism, although the teachers do expect civil and respectful behavior from the students. Along with outstanding academics, the school has a great sports program. I have learned how to work as part of a team as well as achieve my personal best. All in all I am thankful that I was able to attend such an amazing school that has provided me with many great friendships and a valuable education that will stay with me forever.

Powhatan School 1

Posted June 03, 2014
Powhatan would not be surviving if it was not for the lack of private schools around. The majority of teachers and faculty are very political and if you or your children do not play their game your child will be a target. They dictate rules that they only apply to some and not to others. The upper school is by far worse then lower and they need to clean house with some of the teachers that they keep in power positions even though they cant stand children. They have big time control issues and whatever you do ...don't ever question why your children may be a target or the upper school wrath will reign down on your children. They refuse to allow Mac's ( unless your a student of a faculty member). The computers they dictate you purchase are very expensive and will break down numerous times... they will then dictate you to purchase another one! This is a one star school at best... that goes for the academics as well! Consider other options , I wish I would have! Many parents would like to volunteer but parent involvement is hand selected and very much about politics and who plays their game.

Posted October 23, 2013
Powhatan is a positive place for kids to learn. Come visit Powhatan, and you'll see happy, engaged students from Pre-K to 8th grade. Not only are the main subject areas strong but Powhatan also provides a well-rounded education involving the outdoors, music, art, athletics, drama, and community service. Thanks to Powhatan, my two boys have learned to look adults in the eye, shake hands, and converse confidently and competently. They also know how to work in groups - to communicate and solve problems with others, to tackle projects, thanks to Powhatan's cooperative, project-base learning approach. Powhatan has fostered both my boys' strengths and allowed them to fully explore their talents - and pushed them to reach beyond the comfort zone into new areas. I appreciate all that Powhatan is doing for my children.

Posted October 20, 2013
The Powhatan school motto is "We learn not for school but for life." Each morning my children are excited to go school. Their days are spent exploring the campus, taking field trips to places like the Kennedy Center and being challenged by engaging teachers. Check out the many YouTube videos to get a real feel of Powhatan School. http://powhatanschool.org/social-media/

Posted October 18, 2013
Powhatan has proven to be a compassionate and intellectually stimulating school for our children. Idyllic location, consistently excellent teachers, strong focus on nature and citizenship. We looked at several options, but no other school in western Loudoun, Middleburg, or Winchester was able to match what Powhatan offers.

Posted September 24, 2013
Powhatan School is a wonderful preK-8 independent school in rural Boyce VA. The curriculum is literature based, meaning children read great literature rather than excerpts in text books. It's an open campus and children are encouraged to explore the outdoors through its Nature Enhanced Approach to Learning which cuts across all curriculum levels from art, to science, to writing, to sports. The School's mission is 'we learn not for school but for life'. That ideal permeates all levels of the school, where lessons are project based and hands-on so that students truly learn the subject they are studying rather than just facts that they then regurgitate for a test. I believe Powhatan is not only a great school but one of the best!

Powhatan School 4

Posted September 24, 2013
The curriculum is tough but great and the faculty is wonderful. There are excellent opportunities for the students!

Powhatan School 1

Posted August 05, 2013
Powhatan is not like it use to be. Our children currently attend Powhatan. Unfortunately in this area you are limited on good schools so Powhatan is the lesser of two evils. Kindergarten- not impressed. The teachers seem more worried about catching children doing something bad rather than catching them doing good. The assistant? Not any better. 1st grade- questionable. There are two classes.The one teacher has a very strong personality and can't seem to get along with the other teacher. The school has gone through three 1st grade teachers in 3 years because no one can seem to get along with this particular teacher(as a side note- she came from Clarke County HS where she was the principal but is now a teacher?) 2nd grade- can you say nepotism? It is a Aunt and niece team. Was not pleased with this grade at all. 3rd grade- now we are getting better. 4th grade- things are starting too look up. I could go on...... Curriculum is above public. There is a emphasis on literature. In all honesty, the teachers could work on their compassion skills especially the younger grades but since we are limited in schools in the area, this is the best that we've got and unfortunately we will return.

Powhatan School 3

Posted April 27, 2012
Powhatan has many wonderful qualities and some areas of opportunity. I do find that the curriculum is challenging and my child is learning a great deal. There is blatant favoritism and teachers would do well to treat all their students with respect and kindness. The school should be building the self-esteem of the children not tearing it down with belittling and ridicule.

Posted October 12, 2011
We are having a wonderful experience at Powhatan School. We are impressed that even at a young age the children are taught personal responsibility. We are very happy and would highly recommend this school to anyone who values the power of education.

Powhatan School