Bridgewater, VA
Students enrolled: 1,008

Turner Ashby High School 2

Posted April 09, 2012
Turner Ashby isn't necessarily the worst school in the area. When I go to school every day, I do feel fine and safe, but that's me personally. However, bullying has gotten worse and worse at this school, and it's ridiculous. There's a fight once a week, at least. There's even practically a gang that starts violence for no reason, because they simply can. It seems like the school just suspends them and forgets about it, like they're smacking a kid's hand and saying "We forgive you, just don't do it again." Really, it feels like the faculty couldn't care less. The kids are very behind academically as well, and very few teachers seem to actually care. Very few teachers even seem to be passionate about what they do, and couldn't care less how well your child is doing. There are positive things, such as a great drama and athletic department, but... I really can't think of anything else. The school really could use a lot of improvement, and they really need to take a step back and watch what's REALLY happening in their school. TA has great potential, and it's embarrassing how little of that potential is taken advantage of.

Posted May 22, 2011
We moved here from Maryland, as the county was becoming crime-ridden, along with the school system. Even though the State of Maryland boasted about "test scores', the AP scores averaged 1.5 our of 5 and 75% of the students that "graduated" had to take remedial classes. It's much different here. So much better. It's a great area in which to live, and the school system isn't filled with miscreants.

Turner Ashby High School 0

Posted October 13, 2010
Turner Ashby administration really cares about each student as an individual and it is reflected in the post graduation student results whether the students continue with higher education or vocational training, they receive personal guidance and attention throughout their time at TAHS.

Posted January 15, 2009
I go to TA and love it. I don't know what some of the other reviews are talking about. The dress code is not strict, the academics are good, and everybody fits in. We are very good at sports, and I think you'll find that band is generally unpopular at any school but our band is pretty good anyways. The staff and teachers are great here. Completely disregard the review under mine.

Turner Ashby High School 1

Posted December 31, 2008
As a former student I would say that the students and their parents are very very small headed. Students are bullied on a large scale and the staff does nothing about it. They are also very behind academically and socially. - Band kid

Turner Ashby High School 4

Posted October 11, 2008

Posted August 29, 2008
Turner Ashby is just the best, we have amazing teachers great students...and the best activitys around...we are all polite but still have great pride in TA and all that it does...my blood runs black and white till I die

Posted August 13, 2008
I am a parent with a similar experience to theone below. We moved here specifically for the school district as the one in our area was really quite bad. I have 1 child who will be a senior this year and another who is starting this year. I have found the teachers (for the most part) to be caring and responsive to any student who puts forth an effort. Both of my children have indicated that they were accepted at the school, and did not feel like outsiders at all. Both developed what I believe will be some lasting freindships quickly. In terms of strictness, I believe the school has reasonable rules but is perhaps if anything, a bit lax in enforcing them uniformly. Overall it is a great school and I think we made an excellent decision when we chose it.

Turner Ashby High School 4

Posted May 04, 2008
I went here for 4 years and it was a pretty good school. They have added a lot to it and they no longer have the mobile classrooms outside. the principals were a little strick at the time, but it was understandable. you can't wear clothes that show any mid-drift or your underwear, no crazy hairstyles or colors, and no observable piercings. A lot of the teachers are really great and really care about you. Most of the students are very welcoming, but there are a lot of cliques. The football players are not held to a higher standard as stated before, any student wishing to play sports must maintain a relatively high GPA.

Turner Ashby High School 1

Posted April 16, 2008

Turner Ashby High School
800 N Main St, Bridgewater, VA  22812
(540) 828-2008
Last modified Turner Ashby High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Turner Ashby High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top