Burke, VA
Students enrolled: 4,055

Posted January 28, 2015
I went to Lake Braddock for 7th and 8th grade during the mid 90's. Excellent school and the teachers truly care.

Posted January 18, 2015
This is a very big school. 7-8 grade children are in the same general complex although there are attempts to keep them separate from the 9-12th grades. This is one of the most highly compensated group of families in the US and the average family makes substantially more than $100k a year. With that parents often give children new cars when they get their drivers licenses. There are challenging classed here. Kids will be prepared for college. That said it is easy for a kid to get lost in this school. The demographics of the school are changing as well much like they have in other schools such as Annandale. The school has a large and successful Asian segment of the school population who will challenge any other ethnic group in terms of dedication to study and proven excellence. Likewise it is very common to find children being raised in traditional muslim fashion here. Our younger daughter transferred to Florida after 7th grade and found herself behind in some aspects of study and ahead in others. Overall, If you want a large school which is rather impersonal and not particularly agile, this is the one for you.

Posted September 06, 2014
I am the parent of two LBSS students. I have been very disappointed in the quality of the majority of the teachers. There are some wonderful teachers but they are few and far between. I have come to expect that every year my kids will have very weak teachers in more than half of their subjects. If you struggle, you will likely need to pay for a private tutor.

Posted June 08, 2014
Lake Braddock is a wonderful school!! Most of the teachers are extremely nice and they really care about each individual student. They really care about having you succeed and they are very flexible in helping you if you need extra help. They have top of the line orchestras, bands, and choirs, great athletic program, and even better academics. I highly recommend this school!

Posted June 03, 2014
Posted Jun 2, 2014 This school is the best school ever. It's rated in 7th place for the best schools In Virginia and 127th in the nation. It has won many district and state champions for each sport. Many famous people have went there. They offer an advanced academic program provided to middle schoolers. The teachers are great and the staff is quite diverse. The school is very large which is great for a diverse environment. Everyone who attends this school loves it here. Many of the students are very spiritive about lake Braddock.

Posted March 10, 2014
I am a graduate from LBSS after spending 7-12 grades there. It can certainly be intimidating due to its size, but the size provides so much diversity and opportunities for involvement. In 7th grade I was in the 'moderate' math classes. My teacher recognized that the class was too easy and spoke with my parents about bumping me up to algebra in 7th grade - which is what I did. This was only the first example of the great teachers at LBSS who take the time to observe how their students are doing and do what they can to advance them. That single bump-up to algebra (plus many other teacher interventions) provided so many opportunities down the road (I am now a doctor) that allowed me to go to top-tier universities and achieve so many great things. Besides the attentive and caring teachers, the size of the school allows limitless elective opportunities. I was doing automotive shop and metal working the same year as German and computer design. The size of the student population, in my eyes, is only a plus and provides a fantastic environment to mature and learn.

Posted January 09, 2014
I have attended Lake Braddock for 7th and 8th grade (AAP), and I have loved every bit of it. The teachers are fantastic, but you do need to be focused and prepared for class to get good grades. I enjoy that the teachers will take time to see you after class or during Bruin Block (the equivalent of study hall), but you have to approach them our else you will not get paid attention to due to the large amount of students. I have generally found that people are kind, but some kids are very competitive when it comes to grades and just life in general. There are also many extra-curriculars to attend as well as school events, but you have to put yourself our there and ask about them because many are not highly advertised. The band program is also extraordinary in the middle school, the band director is great, music is exciting, and you get many opportunities to learn about music from professionals that visit. The only negative is that it is a secondary school so seniors are in the hallways with seventh graders.

Posted October 31, 2013
I think a lot of the teachers are better quality and educated but school has huge issues with discipline. A strong liberal attitude prevails so if you arent one of them expect to be labeled an "outsider".

Posted October 08, 2013
This is a very large school that make sure that students don't slip between the cracks. I have three kids and they are all very different. Each has had a great experience a this school.

Posted September 03, 2013
I went here for middle school, and honestly those two years made me become bitter for a while. There is a huge clique problem, and the children are snobbish, rude, and very cruel at times. It's hard to make friends if you are new. The classes and school are way too big, and there are a lot of fights that happen behind teachers backs due to the size of the school. When I moved to WSHS, I had a much better experience, and made a bunch of friends just because people are nice. The only good thing about that school is the orchestra, its top notch. If you want to feel relaxed, welcomed, good experience in high school, don't come here.

Lake Braddock Secondary
9200 Burke Lake Rd, Burke, VA  22015
Last modified Lake Braddock Secondary is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lake Braddock Secondary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top