Terra Centre Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 537 students

Student diversity

Posted April 6, 2014

It's improving. The mood of the place, like the building, is flat though, so don't go looking for a tremendous amount of enthusiasm. The front office "greeters" need coffee or sunshine. Maybe they've been underground too long. A smile and an offer of assistance or navigation through the construction labyrinth goes a very long way. I've been a longtime parent there. The new administration is a far improvement over the previous *regime.* The principal is pleasant and youthful, but a little stiff, slow to act, unsure of what to do at times. It seems as though the physical renovation is the biggest concern instead of the camaraderie of the children and spirit of education. While a sense of humor is showing itself, the renovation does hamper a little of that. Some entrenched legacy teachers are good for places with new leadership, they can light the path; others are too enmeshed in their old ways to raise their own bars and challenge themselves. We will see what the new leadership is interested in doing: keeping things familiar, or really changing things for the better, in spite of "tenure" and "labor unions." After all, this is an elementary school. It's about kids.

Posted January 20, 2014

We absolutely love Terra Centre. The experience that we have had with the teachers, the administration and the office staff have been beyond our expectations. Everyone we have come into contact with has been friendly, highly responsive and helpful. My son's teachers are phenomenal and clearly have a passion for working with children, and I cannot believe how much he has learned this year...not to mention...he absolutely loves school! The new principal is a wonderful new addition to the TC, and has been a tremendous leader thus far. This school embodies a true community, with a great sense of pride and the parent involvement is overwhelming.

Posted November 25, 2013

This is a great school! My daughter loves her teacher and is quickly learning. I am highly impressed with Fairfax County Public Schools and especially Terra Centre. My husband and I were worried about our daughter starting kindergarten and the school is under construction, but the school has a done a great job with handling this. I volunteer at the school and the construction is not a big deal. Once it is complete the school is going to be so nice. (I think it should be complete in a year or so.) The new principle and vice principle are doing great. The PTA is awesome and it is easy to volunteer and be involved as a parent.

Posted February 20, 2013

My daughter has attended Terra Centre for the past two years and I have been more than impressed with what Terra Centre has to offer. Every teach she has, has been top notch. My mother is a child welfare social worker and my grandmother was a teacher. They share my review. I only want the best for my children and Terra Centre has it.

Posted February 11, 2012

Hi .. I started to get weekly communication concerning my son via email directly from the teacher ..but getting a daily communication its not the case for my me ...I receive the works he did some other documents ... But really now I feel a change after some meetings ... ..I heard about the eminent extension of the school facilities ...the administration is serious in dealing with students issues ..but still some smiles at the entrance are needed ...

Posted January 31, 2012

My daughter is in K in TC, and I was surprised by the 1/14 review. We receive daily communication from our teacher, and she is very responsive to us via email (my preference for communicating). We had an incident in the fall, with an older student bullying, which was resolved nearly instantly. They take things very seriously. We do have 25 in the class, but it seems to be okay. I think that class size is inevitable in today's economic environment. We have been pleased thus far with the school. My only reservation is the facilities, but they will begin a renovation to be completed by 2014, so that will resolve itself soon.

Posted January 14, 2012

Hi all .. Burke can be the best place for students ..but maybe not terra center .. The major problem is the huge lack of communication between parents and teachers ..I as father I am not receiving daily or weekly communication regarding my kid ..I send letters with my kid ..nobody see them ...I call the teacher ..rarely I reach the teacher ...When I go to the school ..believe me ..you maybe you have to pay to get a small smile from the lady in the front desk of the administration ...then there is a dramatic other problem which is the number of student in a class ..my kid`s class contain 25 ..and its a Kinder garden .!!!! for this year its enough ... The hope is pended on the next year !!

Posted April 14, 2011

We moved to Burke Centre to find a better FCPS for my daughter. She came to Terra Centre halfway through grade 1 and her teacher was wonderful about helping her to become a part of the class. She went on to complete second and third grade at the school, and I was very pleased with our experience. The atmosphere there is welcoming and the staff is accessible. Parent participation is welcomed in many areas. My daughter struggles with executive skills, and her 1st and 2nd grade teachers were very disorganized, so that didn't help much, but her third grade teacher was very organized and helped her to improve in that area. Each year she was academically challenged, and I like the character program the school uses to promote citizenship.

Posted September 3, 2008

Terra Centre is an amazing school with complete dedication to making the students' experiences meaningful and rich. Having taught in four states myself, I am impressed with the professional and caring members of the TC Team. My son's first two years have been wonderful!

Posted November 3, 2007

We are extremely happy at Terra Centre. The administration and teachers are professional and approachable. Communication between teacher and parent is open and encouraged. Parent involvment in the classroom is welcomed. Our PTA is active and successful at Terra Centre. The K-1 Program is a wonderful resource. Terra Centre Tigers Roar with Pride! Diana C. Bharucha

Posted January 12, 2007

Terra Centre is a awesome school to be in. I graduated from there in 6th grade and all my teachers there where very helpful and supportive. All my brothers and sisters graduated there, and we were all very happy there. This is a great school to be in, so consider if you want your child to be here, or not. Terra Centre is always open for new students, like they were open to my brothers, my sisters and me.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 27, 2006

Excellent school. Involved teachers and staff, good curriculum and support for students. Involved parents and active PTA

Posted June 15, 2005

My son has had a tremendous experience in Kindergarten. His teacher is amazing and I have been impressed with her devotion to her students. I like the many opportunities I have had to volunteer at this school so that I could be an active part of my child's education. Terra Centre is equal to all other schools in Fairfax County -- which means it is terrific.

Posted May 22, 2005

We were very dissapointed with terra centre. The lack of teacher/parent communication is unacceptable. The leadership qualities of the administration is poor. Our experience so far has been very frustrating, the quality of education is certainly not up to standard. I would not recommend this school. There are far better schools in Fairfax county to choose from, if you are making a choice, stay away from Terra centre.

Posted February 17, 2005

All three of my children attended Terra Centre and I can not speak highly enough about it. Outstanding atmosphere for children and parents!

Posted January 5, 2004

Two of my three children 'graduated' from Terra Centre and my youngest is now in kindergarten there. Terra Centre is a great school with a great staff. I highly recommend it!

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students81%

Students with disabilities67%
Students without disabilities100%
Proficient in English91%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students85%

Not economically disadvantaged84%
Students without disabilities82%
Proficient in English82%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Not economically disadvantagedn/a
Students without disabilitiesn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6000 Burke Centre Pkwy