Terra Centre Elementary School 3

Posted April 06, 2014
It's improving. The mood of the place, like the building, is flat though, so don't go looking for a tremendous amount of enthusiasm. The front office "greeters" need coffee or sunshine. Maybe they've been underground too long. A smile and an offer of assistance or navigation through the construction labyrinth goes a very long way. I've been a longtime parent there. The new administration is a far improvement over the previous *regime.* The principal is pleasant and youthful, but a little stiff, slow to act, unsure of what to do at times. It seems as though the physical renovation is the biggest concern instead of the camaraderie of the children and spirit of education. While a sense of humor is showing itself, the renovation does hamper a little of that. Some entrenched legacy teachers are good for places with new leadership, they can light the path; others are too enmeshed in their old ways to raise their own bars and challenge themselves. We will see what the new leadership is interested in doing: keeping things familiar, or really changing things for the better, in spite of "tenure" and "labor unions." After all, this is an elementary school. It's about kids.

Posted January 20, 2014
We absolutely love Terra Centre. The experience that we have had with the teachers, the administration and the office staff have been beyond our expectations. Everyone we have come into contact with has been friendly, highly responsive and helpful. My son's teachers are phenomenal and clearly have a passion for working with children, and I cannot believe how much he has learned this year...not to mention...he absolutely loves school! The new principal is a wonderful new addition to the TC, and has been a tremendous leader thus far. This school embodies a true community, with a great sense of pride and the parent involvement is overwhelming.

Posted November 25, 2013
This is a great school! My daughter loves her teacher and is quickly learning. I am highly impressed with Fairfax County Public Schools and especially Terra Centre. My husband and I were worried about our daughter starting kindergarten and the school is under construction, but the school has a done a great job with handling this. I volunteer at the school and the construction is not a big deal. Once it is complete the school is going to be so nice. (I think it should be complete in a year or so.) The new principle and vice principle are doing great. The PTA is awesome and it is easy to volunteer and be involved as a parent.

Posted February 20, 2013
My daughter has attended Terra Centre for the past two years and I have been more than impressed with what Terra Centre has to offer. Every teach she has, has been top notch. My mother is a child welfare social worker and my grandmother was a teacher. They share my review. I only want the best for my children and Terra Centre has it.

Terra Centre Elementary School 3

Posted February 11, 2012
Hi .. I started to get weekly communication concerning my son via email directly from the teacher ..but getting a daily communication its not the case for my me ...I receive the works he did some other documents ... But really now I feel a change after some meetings ... ..I heard about the eminent extension of the school facilities ...the administration is serious in dealing with students issues ..but still some smiles at the entrance are needed ...

Posted January 31, 2012
My daughter is in K in TC, and I was surprised by the 1/14 review. We receive daily communication from our teacher, and she is very responsive to us via email (my preference for communicating). We had an incident in the fall, with an older student bullying, which was resolved nearly instantly. They take things very seriously. We do have 25 in the class, but it seems to be okay. I think that class size is inevitable in today's economic environment. We have been pleased thus far with the school. My only reservation is the facilities, but they will begin a renovation to be completed by 2014, so that will resolve itself soon.

Terra Centre Elementary School 2

Posted January 14, 2012
Hi all .. Burke can be the best place for students ..but maybe not terra center .. The major problem is the huge lack of communication between parents and teachers ..I as father I am not receiving daily or weekly communication regarding my kid ..I send letters with my kid ..nobody see them ...I call the teacher ..rarely I reach the teacher ...When I go to the school ..believe me ..you maybe you have to pay to get a small smile from the lady in the front desk of the administration ...then there is a dramatic other problem which is the number of student in a class ..my kid`s class contain 25 ..and its a Kinder garden .!!!! for this year its enough ... The hope is pended on the next year !!

Terra Centre Elementary School 4

Posted April 14, 2011
We moved to Burke Centre to find a better FCPS for my daughter. She came to Terra Centre halfway through grade 1 and her teacher was wonderful about helping her to become a part of the class. She went on to complete second and third grade at the school, and I was very pleased with our experience. The atmosphere there is welcoming and the staff is accessible. Parent participation is welcomed in many areas. My daughter struggles with executive skills, and her 1st and 2nd grade teachers were very disorganized, so that didn't help much, but her third grade teacher was very organized and helped her to improve in that area. Each year she was academically challenged, and I like the character program the school uses to promote citizenship.

Posted June 05, 2009

Terra Centre Elementary School 1

Posted January 04, 2009

Terra Centre Elementary School
6000 Burke Centre Pkwy, Burke, VA  22015
Last modified Terra Centre Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Terra Centre Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top