Burke, VA

Posted April 17, 2015
This is a great school with caring teachers and a very responsive administration. The teachers go above and beyond to make learning fun for the children. My son has been at this school for 3 years, and we couldn't be happier. We can't wait for the brand new playground coming later this month.

Posted January 29, 2015
Unless your child is in the Advanced Academic Placement Classes, you will be disappointed in this school. All the resources and emphasis is given to the AAP courses. If your child is in the regular placement classes, then whether or not they get a good, quality education will depend on the teacher. My son and daughter have had some really good and really bad teachers at White Oaks. Save yourself frustration and disappointment and go to another school.

Posted January 28, 2015
I went to White Oaks elementary school for grades 1-6. Excellent school in a great school district. I would definitely send my child to this school.

White Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted November 26, 2014
white oaks is a great school. i have a girl in 3rd grade who loves the teachers for their way of teaching. i am grateful for that

White Oaks Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2014
The 6th grade gt or aap is a waste of time. The math teacher is the only jewel. One of the aap teachers is a tyrant and should not be teaching at all.

Posted April 28, 2014
I have 2 sons in white oaks ES iT is really great school the principles did good job and all the teachers are helpfull when we ask them about anything it has good contact with the teacher by email White oaks did a lot of activities and the help all the student to enjoined I'm lucky because my son in this school I want to said thank you very much to all the sttafe who work there .

Posted February 03, 2014
This school is excellent! My child's teacher is knowledgeable and kind. I feel like I always know what is being taught and how m child is performing. Her teacher has been easy to communicate with when we have concerns. I have also noticed a difference with the change in administration and the new principal does a fantastic job. Looking at the abundance of 4&5-star reviews I can't help but think that perhaps the two parents who gave 2-star reviews were the problem, not the teacher/principal. We have had such a positive experience in our 4 years at this school and we have had a great response from administration and the teacher when we did have a concern.

Posted October 01, 2013
"My child's 3rd grade general education teacher is terrible" (comment from the parent below). Do something! Be proactive! White Oaks Elem has a new principal now! Send email or/make appointments with your child's teacher to talk about any concerns you have. I had similar experience. But don't wait till your child's teacher starts to tell something bad about her/him. Go to have lunch with your kid and go to volunteer at school so that you will know more about how your kid is doing at school. If you need your child s teacher helps your child, you need to do your homework first as well. That s what I have learned since my kid goes to elementary school. Unless your child is going to a private school, most likely you are not receiving the great customer services that you expect.

Posted April 25, 2013
This is typical of Fairfax County Schools - first of all, if you are a military family - that's the death sentence for advanced academics. Fairfax County Schools do not like children in military families - mostly because they aren't swimming in money like most of the families in this county. Secondly, Virginia schools are notorious for pigeon-holing children on subjective "what the teacher thinks" criteria along with standardized tests. I think the school system would collapse in Virginia without standardized test scores for pigeon-holing. And to add insult to injury, there are eleventy-five levels of "intelligence." I see it as crowd control more so than challenging children. Fairfax county schools have no text books for the students are terrible at keeping the Blackboard updated. And the County uses a 1-4 "Effort" scale rather than the traditional A-F grading most of the nation uses. As for military families - wait until your child transfers out of Fairfax schools to another state's school system - translating "effort" into competencies can't get more subjective. Fairfax schools get high ratings on sites like this because they have mastered the art of confusion.

Posted April 23, 2013
We arrived mid-year and are deeply disappointed in the education, or lack of, my child has received since starting at White Oaks. The front office people are friendly, but overworked. The principal is willing to see you on appointment, but is not visible otherwise. My child's 3rd grade general education teacher is terrible, I consider this a waste of an academic year since arriving in her class. She has no control of the children in the classroom, little to no communication with the parents, does not send graded homework home without complaining to the work, does not use the daily agenda per the school's requirements, and barely uses electronic Blackboard to post upcoming assignments & tests. My child has gone from an excellent student in another school district to a student of mediocrity in less than one school year. So much for the great school in Fairfax County...

White Oaks Elementary School
6130 Shiplett Blvd, Burke, VA  22015
Last modified White Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
White Oaks Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top