Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

When my kids were new, they did experience a few kids trying to exert social dominance. This wasn't hard core bullying, but it wasn't pleasant, especially for my daughter. The worst occurred during bathroom breaks and less supervised play time. We mentioned it to her teacher and things got better almost immediately.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

My daughter has an IEP and made more progress at Cherry Run than all previous years of school combined. The special education staff works wonders and the grade-level teachers take steps to ensure kids that are getting extra help are still treated with respect in the classroom. Very happy with this aspect of the school.

Effective school leaders: Agree

My first impression of the Principal was not excellent. He just seemed too task oriented and not a people person. I did get to know him better by taking the time to speak with him, especially about some of my child's specific needs. My impression immediately changed and I have been more and more impressed over time. I've also had very good interactions with the office staff.

Develops character: Agree

This is currently a focus area for the kids. They do get evaluated in citizenship and working well with others. This is a school though and it's not immune to certain bad behaviors. Where we've encountered concerns both the teachers and principal were very receptive and immediately took action to more closely monitor those situations. Parents may need to take the time to engage the teachers/staff with concerns.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Just the right amount every night. The kids are challenged but not so much that they get frustrated. There are a few projects throughout the year (that will require parental engagement) but I've found them fun. Sooo much better than the hours and hours of homework my young kids had to endure at their last school.

Like many at this school, we are a military family. Our children have therefore been to schools all over the country. Cherry Run is the absolute best school our children have been to, including expensive private schools. The teachers are great and the school strikes the right balance between striving for meeting educational goals and allowing kids to have a life. Don't let the mediocre numeric score on great schools fool you, children learn here. I found this school "teaches to the test" less than other schools and instead the children spend the whole year learning a variety of subjects and building citizenship skills and character. I wonder if that impacts the "on paper" rating as kids are encouraged to just do their best on the tests. Although the Principal can can come off as a bit aloof, the reality is that you just need to spend some one on one time with him to realize that this is a man who deeply cares about the students. The PTA is very active and you get good communications from teachers and school, yet you do not have to volunteer or participate in the PTA to get information. We have several friends whose children go to Sangster which looks like a better school on paper. We all agree that Cherry Run is just as good and even better if you prefer a smaller "community" school environment. We are blessed to send our kids here and are even trying to extend our military orders in the area just to keep them here.

We are a military family and this is our 2nd year at Cherry Run. We have been very happy here. The teachers are excellent, the staff all know each child and genuinely care for them. The school counselor is amazing and does a great job teaching kids coping and interpersonal skills. It is one of the smaller schools (numbers-wise) in FCPS, which gives it more of a tight, yet welcoming community. Many families walk to school due to the small area that makes up our boundaries, which also aids the community feel. We have loved our time at Cherry Run and highly recommend it.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

The counselor and teachers work very hard at this. Unfortunately, there is always the unstructured time when kids are out of earshot of adults, but I know they try really hard to keep even that to a minimum!

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

My son has anxiety and OCD. The school has been amazing in supporting him - we have had multiple team meetings to better support him. They view his difficulties as something we ALL need to work on, not just a parenting or student problem. This has meant a lot to me!

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Mr. Bibbee is a little hands off compared to other principals I've experienced. He is nice enough, though.

Last modified Cherry Run Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.