Burke, VA

Posted March 17, 2015
Run, don't walk to this school. I pulled my children from somewhere else and put them here. This is the best community of people and the most wonderful teachers you'll find. Small class size or several adults in the room if the numbers are bigger. The core classes are outstanding as are the "specials." There is evidence of planning across and up and down the grade levels. It's impressive how things work at Cherry Run. If you're not there already, do whatever it takes to get there!

Cherry Run Elementary School 4

Posted December 26, 2013
The special education program for preschoolers has done wonders for my child. I could not be happier. My child looks forward to going and is sad when school is closed. This rating is based on my two years experience only. I knocked off one star because as others have mentioned, the front office staff is far from friendly or welcoming. They are what influence your first impressions of a school and my half a dozen visits along with my phone calls have not been pleasant :-(.

Posted May 17, 2013
I could not be happier with Cherry Run Elementary School, their front office staff, and teaching staff. I have a child in third grade and first grade and have received great personal responses to questions asked. The school also uses an online "Blackboard" to help manage assignments and complete at home computer based learning activities. The kids are called out by name from the staff and other teachers and I have been impressed by the learning atmosphere within the school. Safety is a top concern for the staff and additional security measures have been taken with more coming this summer to keep the kids safe. I am very happy with Cherry Run and hope that we remain stationed in the area for a long period of time.

Cherry Run Elementary School 3

Posted May 16, 2013
I have a child in third grade and she is in the special ed program. I am very pleased with the special education staff as they seem knowledgeable and engaged (five stars). I am very disappointed however in her teacher (1.5 stars). Her teacher s has not worked with myself as the parent to help my child. As a result my child is not doing well in school. The teacher has made critical comments which have proven to be unproductive, unprofessional, and unhelpful. It seems to me that this teacher may not have experience working with special needs kids - my child suffers as a result. Very disappointing. Cherry Run needs to do a better job of getting the teachers up to speed with special needs kids. It seems that pointing fingers and blaming parents is the approach that has been taken which does not help anyone.

Posted March 06, 2013
Great school - we've got twins that go here. Principal cares, teachers are involved and parents are engaged in what goes on. We've been impressed.

Cherry Run Elementary School 2

Posted September 06, 2012
Cherry Run Elementary went from being a warm nurturing learning environment where EVERY child was cherished & valued to a cold uncaring place where kids are just working towards the numbers. The concept of educating the whole child has been lost. Those in charge seem to have forgotten who they are to young children & what a gift it is to be so pivotal in a child's life. Sadly, Administration is condescending,detached, disengaged & disinterested in the hearts of the children they have been trained to educate at the leaders of tomorrow. Administration really does not invest in the students and many teachers are minions who follow the leader. And it's a shame. There are teachers & specialists who once believed in each and every child's potential who are now overworked, overwhelmed...mostly due to the shift in the heart of the school. One of my children attended the special education preschool program for 2 years and was blessed to have an amazing teacher.

Cherry Run Elementary School 2

Posted May 07, 2012
Cherry Run is a disappointment - compared to the other elementary schools we've experienced in other school districts. I'm sure many of the teachers are good at what they do. However, that has not been our experience with the particular teachers my children have had. My children have regressed unfortunately, as evidenced by their test scores. And we feel they have been lost in the shuffle this year, perhaps because as working parents, we are unable to volunteer the large amount of time requested of other parents. Communication is lacking as well; every single contact is initiated by me as the parent - unless of course they are again asking for supplemental supplies or donations for projects. We hope to switch to another school soon.

Posted January 12, 2012
I don't understand some of the negative comments I'm reading below. Cherry Run has been a fantastic experience for both of my kids. Both my kids have attended Cherry Run since Kindergarten (one is now in the 6th grade, one in the 4th grade). My daughter is in the AA program and loves the challenges it provides, my son was selected for AA but we had the option of not placing him in it at our choosing. Whether you choose the AA program or not, Cherry Run's faculty and staff are all great. We love living in the neighborhood and being able to walk to the school. The teachers and principal provide constant communication via letters and email to keep us informed. Overall, I think the quality of education is second to none.

Cherry Run Elementary School 4

Posted April 05, 2011
Our daughter had a great experience at Cherry Run from grades 1-4, with teachers who nurtured her creativity and cultivated both a love of learning and a strong sense of self-esteem. Unfortunately, her experience changed dramatically in 5th Grade. She was in the AA (GT) program, and the cadre of teachers assigned to teach at this level approached their charge in a significantly different way, overloading the students with homework, seemingly devaluing creativity, and fostering competition by reading test scores aloud and publicly posting information about each student's performance. On a number of occasions, our daughter came home from school distraught and in tears. Her self-esteem plummeted, as did her overall interest in school and learning. This was apparently not atypical; other parents whose children had completed the 5th-grade curriculum shared similar stories, and many said they had voiced their concerns to the teachers, principal, and staff. Apparently, their efforts did little to break the pattern, because the same issues have been reported year after year. 6th Grade at CR is apparently better, but the scars from 5th Grade will take a long time to heal....

Cherry Run Elementary School 3

Posted October 14, 2010
Having just moved to the area, we chose this location specifically for the schools and are very dissappointed. Teachers are nice, but that is about all I have seen so far. The office staff is nice, but really only friendly and available to those who contribute untold hours volunteering and are in and out all day, unlike the rest who work during the day. There are no doors in the rooms...it is all open and very distracting. You can hear every other class in the hallway. Everything seems to be very catered upon the most disadvantaged children...there is nothing else unless your child tests into the GT program and then goes to another school because CR is not a GT center.

Cherry Run Elementary School
9732 Ironmaster Dr, Burke, VA  22015
Last modified Cherry Run Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cherry Run Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top