Bad
Good

Very good education and a nice school! 5 stars!

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school/home communication fosters independent learning, home/school balance, and taking responsibility for one's actions. The extracurricular activities and special events bring the community together to further enhance students' success.

Our son attends Bull Run and we absolutely LOVE it! We were there when the administration change took place and it could not have been better for the school. Past administration ran the school into the ground - test scores at an all-time low, teacher morale plummeting, etc. When Ms. Brown became the Principal, she brought with her dedication, leadership/education expertise, and a friendly, positive atmosphere. I have heard many parents complaining that "this school isn't what it used to be," but that seems like a great thing, considering the condition it was in. I feel that community members are having a hard time seeing the bigger picture - the country's education system, and therefore the county's, has changed drastically and we no longer live in the society that we grew up in. Administration cannot be blamed for changes that are occurring EVERYWHERE. I love the area that Bull Run is in, but the community members are the poison, not the administration. Keep up the great work!

My daughter attends fourth grade at Bull Run. She is in the advanced academic program and started here in 3rd grade. She really enjoys the program and being with kids that are like-minded. It is very nice to have three classrooms dedicated to teaching 4th graders advanced academics. However, it would be nice to see more interaction between the classes as far as curriculum. My most important suggestion for improvement would be more communication with parents. Her teachers never updates the class on what they are doing. Other than quarterly report cards, there is no contact. The principal only sends very general emails that do not highlight what is happening academically at each grade level. I think it is a good school that needs to focus on these areas.

It's sad to see how some parents have allowed the fact that they do not like the administration to cloud their judegment of the whole learning experience. As a parent of 2 boys, who have attended since Kindergarten - one in GT and the other not, I have to the changes have greatly affected the atmosphere. However, as in every school, there is good and bad. If we could elect the administrators, there would still be those unhappy with the situation. I will say that the school has had some hiccups in the past few years due to admin changes. Yet, overall, I have been very happy with more teachers than not! I wish there would be a Principal who would put the children first and not their duties; someone who would make it their mission to listen to teachers and parents alike; an individual who dedicate their time to the advancement of their student body. The school has great spirit! Wonderful GT program. My ONE negative is that Tenured Teachers who have not performed and spend more time in meetings instead of classrooms, should be LET GO!!!! I Love This School!!!!! It is beautiful with great programs and extra curricular activities

After 4 years at an excellent, local Montessori school, my grandson entered 1st grade at Bull Run ES. Thanks to guidance from outstanding teachers, a variety of enrichment opportunities, a wonderfully diverse student population, and a very involved parent, he is thriving both socially and academically at Bull Run, where he is currently a 3rd grader. The campus is beautifully situated on an expanse of green lawn. The classroom building itself faces the mountains and is wonderfully laid out with wide hallways/stairways, and large, naturally well-lit classrooms. It is an awesome, inviting atmosphere! The front office staff is bright, friendly and helpful. The new Principal is an intelligent young woman, dedicated to the task of making Bull Run an even better school. Fairfax County Virginia is widely known for its great Public School system. I am sure most, if not all, of its schools are remarkable. To ensure that Bull Run students soar with the best, please don't concern yourself too much with the inevitable politics of public education; it will drain you of the energy that would be better spent involving yourself in the day-to-day aspects of your child's education.

I am sad to say that I have to echo the words of the last reviewer. I am sad that my children must attend this school - if there were any feasible way for my kids to attend a different one, I would. Won't go into details because this isn't the place to do that but, when I read the last posting, I knew I had to "second" their comment. Stay away, if you have the luxury.

This used to be an oustanding school where all children could learn and grow. Administrative changes have ruined a once fine school. The parents succeeded in replacing the first bad principal but unbelievably she has been replaced by another who is even worse. THE ATMOSPHERE IS POISONOUS.

I moved from a New York City Public School to Bull Run in '06. There's a major difference in both schools. First of all, Bull Run had a very welcoming environment, and from a child's point of view- the school was wonderful. I first started this school in the 3rd grade, and automatically made friends. However, the school no longer has most of the staff I grew up learning from. There were a few teachers that didn't teach well, but they have left the school to pursue other schools. All of the administrative staff had left as well. My 5th Grade year was the best in my Elementary School years- I had Mr. Wood. He was an outstanding teacher and it's sad to know he left the school when I was in the 6th Grade. All the fun teachers that taught well in academics had been replaced now- which is sad to know because every single one of them taught me and my fellow classmates above and beyond skills in the academics. If you enjoy music as much as I do, the Chorus is astounding. By the time we reached graduation, everyone became a family. We knew each other so well, and I am glad to be part of the Home of the Bulls!

My daughter started school at Bull Run - we moved to NY when she was in 4th great. The staff, teachers and administrators were wonderful -- she made friends from many different backgrounds --- we have so many good memories of her time there!

Last modified Bull Run Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.