Centreville, VA
Students enrolled: 1,161

Powell Elementary School 3

Posted November 05, 2014
I have a son that attends this school. I think the school is well over the projected 50% of the Asian population and caters accorgingly. This school sent out a survey to find out which secondary language may possibly be taught this year 2014-2015. Soon thereafter, we learned Colin Powell wasn't one of the schools chosen. Shame on Fairfax County school district! A secondary language should be offered in all schools. And lastly but most importantly, my son is not interested in learning the Korean language!

Posted November 04, 2014
Mr. B is the light of my soul. He has helped me in ways that i cannot repay him. Best man you will come across by far.

Posted August 30, 2014
There is false data in the post below. I am not Asian. Our family came from Norway and Italy long ago. Per the Fairfax County School website, the ENTIRE Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Philippines, etc.) demographic is 55%. Studious, respectful families abound at Powell. Consequently, my daughter's reading, writing and math skills have vastly improved. Everyone gets along and learns from one another...a trait that is vital in a global workforce, particularly for the high-tech/Internet or medical fields and especially if one works in Silicon Valley. Extra curricular activities are the same as other Fairfax schools. We have done Girl Scouts, sports, French, gardening, Girls on the Run, Music, Grace Arts. If one desires a new activity, the PTA welcomes volunteers to lead that effort. All Fairfax County schools must offer similar class sizes, offerings, curriculum, teacher qualifications, etc. Differences are in the building, size, administration, distance from home, socioeconomic factors, AP offerings, and staff demeanor. Visit the Fairfax County School website for accurate data. To learn more about Powell, visit it or visit the principal's blog located on the school website.

Powell Elementary School 2

Posted August 17, 2014
This school is 80% Korean and caters to this demographic by offering a Korean immersion program for the non-speaking Korean students. The atmosphere is competitive and academic oriented with little emphasis on much else. Your children will need a good deal of after school support and tutors (most children go to kumon, etc) just to keep up. The teachers are very test and score-focused and put little emphasis on anything besides grades. There are no opportunities for sports or other non-math or non-science extra curricular activities for development. Although it is a quality education, they don't create well rounded students. I would think twice before moving into this school zone.

Posted February 12, 2014
Amazing school. My daughter is a kindergartner in the Korean immersion program. We couldn't be more pleased!

Posted September 23, 2013
This school is excellent I love it My son went for five years now Teachers are v good They really try to work with parents a lot to make the kids reach their potential .

Posted June 04, 2013
This is a great school! All staff is very friendly and welcoming. I have two children in this school, a second grader and a kindergardener. The front office knows the children and the parents by name. They always slime and welcome you when you walk in. Teachers are caring and supportive. They work really hard to help each child to reach their full potential. It is a large school with a friendly warm atmosphere. My children couldn't be happier.

Powell Elementary School 1

Posted February 16, 2012
We got very mixed comments about this school, some parents are really disappointed, and moved their kids out of lower school level in the middle of semester. Some parents satisfied. Maybe it's depend on certain class and certain teacher. We heard about excellent teachers, very loving and devoted in some classes, but also, we heard terrible one, cold, dominate,incapable...if kids got bad luck to be in this class, it'll be a year-long suffering. Principle can help reduce this kind of negative impact, but, seems not did good job on that. Hope it can be improved! Teacher and school are so important for kids to learn and to grow happily and confidently. PTA did a great job to improve the class though.

Posted May 02, 2011
I am so proud and happy that my daughter is in such a great school !!

Posted September 20, 2008
This school is wonderful. Particularly for children with special needs.

Powell Elementary School
13340 Leland Rd, Centreville, VA  20120
Last modified Powell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Powell Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top