Centreville, VA

Virginia Run Elementary School 1

Posted July 29, 2014
My family and I have a long history at Virginia Run. My oldest daughter went to Virginia Run in the late 90's and it was a good school the. I can't say much for the school now. I have a 9 yr old that attends school there now and I am NOT happy with all the changes. This fall I am pulling my child out of this school. It was also recomended by her Dr's that she change school. I've talked to several other parents who have taken there child out of that school and have done much better.

Posted July 29, 2014
I LOVE Virginia Run Elementary School! We moved to the Virginia Run neighborhood when our children were in the 2nd and 3rd grades. The school administrators and teachers were so welcoming and our children quickly made friends. We had so many amazing teachers. Their dedication and love for teaching was amazing. Our children learned so much during their time at the school in comparison to our previous school in Pennsylvania. The school, neighborhood and community offer so many activities for the kids to become involved in that we are very busy (in a good way). The school has a very active PTA and groups for parents to become involved in. We have met so many of our neighbors through school activities and have made a great many friends ourselves. I highly recommend Virginia Run Elementary School.

Posted July 28, 2014
My sons had a wonderful elementary school experience at Virginia Run. I loved having the school right in our neighborhood. The teachers at Va Run were all superior and we chose to move into the neighborhood based soley on the school and knowing they would eventually go to Westfield High School.

Posted June 24, 2014
My daughter has been a student at VRES for 4 years. I have only good things to say about the education that she's received there. The new principal has created a professional and creative atmosphere that is great for student and parents.

Posted June 20, 2014
Many of my friends have had, or have children who attend this school. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this school and the staff.

Posted December 20, 2013
I have to state that after transferring into Bull Run's Gifted Center, my daughter is enjoying school a lot more and is being stimulated. Ms. Michelson is an advocate for my daughter at all times. If she can do anything for a child, it is certaing she will do what is really in the children's best interest. Being on top of everything from medical needs to acadmic needs, she is there. She can only do so much is larger class size, but listens to the children and does her best which is with high skill. The front desk staff at the school is very cordia l with the principal is extremely bright and has taken the school in the direction that will continue to enlighten, and educate children in a great manner. I have to say that in education, that "a little" is not enough, but Bull Run embraces children and really does have the ability to reach the children enrolled.....the teachers are all in. I have to say that in every place in life, people can disagree on issues and education is not any different, but when your voice can be heard....it is! if given the ability to step outside the box a bit more, it would be a sure fire 5!!! I am a hard rater, so understand this... Terri Caffey

Posted July 09, 2013
Not sure where I really stand with this school given the leadership change and our history there. We had two go through from 2nd to 6th grade several years back and in general, very happy with the education. Teachers and staff were professional, hands on and high quality educators. We rarely had an issue with a teacher. Found the old principal a little quirky but the staff and school appeared well run and stable. Have heard many complaints about the new principal and there was an exodus of some great teachers. We just finished our first year with the new principal. We met with her prior to school starting to discuss our concerns as our child was transitioning from one school to VRES. She listened and her selection of our child's teacher could not have been better. We had a horrible year at another FCPS school the previous year and the new principal clearly listened to what we said. Our child had an outstanding year and we look forward to several more despite the high quality AP that is leaving for a new assignment.

Posted June 18, 2013
I am a parent whose children have attended this school for years. My kids are good smart kids, but by far not the "favorites", as some of the other parents have put it. In fact, my oldest son, who also had "bullying issues" at a previous school, as one parent put it, also got in trouble several times himself and Mr Panutti called me about it every time it happened. I understood that Mr Panutti was simply doing his job and even though it wasn't always good news, he always did his job with kindness and concern. I don't think it is right that favoritism be shown to ANY children, including mine. So, given all that, you would think I would be disgruntled, but I am not. I know what a good school is when I see one. The vice principle, Mr. Panutti is absolutely fabulous! He is not perfect, but I don't expect him to be either, just as I hope no one expects me to be perfect. I have interacted with Mr Panutti on every kind of issue, good and bad, and he truly is a great vice principle. He is fair minded and kind. The teachers are diligent and hardworking. My children love this school!

Posted June 17, 2013
I have 5 children who have been attending this school for the past 5 years and at least one of them has been in every grade so I know a great chunk of the teachers. This is a good school with a lot of really great teachers and office staff. The old retired principle was a prude, but the new principle is so much better and kinder, however the real gem is the assistant principle. He is fabulous with the kids and shows genuine concern for them always. My two oldest boys have Aspberger's Syndrome and he was great with them while they attended Virginia Run, as were the teachers. They are very skilled and educated and truly care about the students, most of them are parents themselves. I served as the room parent for two of my kids and have volunteered every year, so I have really gotten to know many of the teachers. The education is top notch and the surrounding community is as well. Last year they changed the boundaries and incorporated some of the lower middle class areas which I think is great. It helped diversify the school and students without sacrificing education or test scores. My only complaints are the annual strings concert is hot and crowded and the lunchroom is noisy.

Posted May 16, 2013
My children attended this school for 5 years while we lived in Fairfax County. Academically, I was very pleased. The teachers were good (well, we had one awful one in 5 years and a couple truly exceptional ones and the rest were simply good, decent teachers) The guidance counselor, Mrs. Leonard, was excellent. We really liked the old principal (Dr. Hicks) and only had one year with the new one and wasn't able to form much of an opinion, she seemed distant and hands-off. We had an extreme dislike for the Vice Principal, Mr. Panutti. He consistently had the wrong approach with children. I always wondered why he chose early childhood education as a career. If you can get past the administration, the teachers are wonderful, office staff fantastic, and the school is great. While we were there, from 2006-2012, the PTA was great and parental involvement was strong.

Virginia Run Elementary School
15450 Martins Hundred Dr, Centreville, VA  20120
Last modified Virginia Run Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Virginia Run Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top