Centre Ridge Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 828 students

Student diversity

Posted February 7, 2014

I have two girls currently in 2nd grade. The teachers are great. Both homeroom teachers from last year and the two homeroom teachers from this year are caring, dedicated and really want the best for their students. When I've e-mailed them with questions/comments, they would get back to me with thoughtful responses. The parent/teacher conferences were very specific was it was obvious they spent a lot of time evaluating each student.

Posted July 9, 2013

The downhill slide started about 5 years ago but has accelerated with the recent principal. This review is written from a parental standpoint as well as the spouse of a staff member. Neither perspective receives glowing remarks. The current administration has alienated staff to the point where this year, close to a 3rd of the staff are escaping & many of the remaining want out. The principal/administration does not understand how to manage, are unprofessional, aloof & micromanage to the point where the principal is in the weeds in areas she has ZERO proficiency or knowledge. Rely on the professional staff to execute the work but no, she tells them what to do, when to do it and how to do it. What an exciting work environment to be in if you are a robot! Most of the staff are outstanding professionals & are doing exemplary work (sometimes in spite of the principal). Our child was placed with a 1st year teacher & the results were a complete disaster & no meeting or discussion ever resolved it. This school will get worse before it gets better. My spouse doesn't work here any more & my child is flourishing in a new school. This school needs professional leadership badly.

Posted March 13, 2013

Could disagree more with the post submitted on September 4th, 2012! Centre Ridge is a great school - orientation was held in the library where the both the Principal and her assistants introduced themselves. My daughter is in the 2nd grade at Centre Ridge and has attended the school for two years. So far she has had great teachers and the staff is friendly and welcoming. Every orientation they were shirts that say Centre Ridge - the greatest school on earth - I believe that they live that creed through their dedication to the school and the children.

Posted September 4, 2012

This is my daughter first year at Centre Ridge. She went a private school and Freedom Hill before. These are excellent schools. So we were very disappointed with orientation day and the first day of school at Centre Ridge. On Orientation Day it was a free for all. No presentation from the principal or teachers. I still dont know who the principal is!! Just a table set up to receive lunch numbers and something. people and kids walking around looking lost. It was a disaster and The first day of school was worse. This school lacks leadership. No planning ahead, organization and structure. I'm looking forward to moving to a better school.

Posted April 20, 2011

The school has gone from good to bad in the past three years alone it seems.

Posted February 22, 2011

Ms Brady is Awesome!!! Ms young has been retired but there is no match for her. My daughter had her in 4th grade and I wish if she could be there for her in 6th grade too. Ms Roeske 1st grade teacher.. Great teacher.. very loving and encouraging and she helped my daughter learning to read... My son has Ms Cruzan in kindergarten and he loves her.She makes kids involve in their work and do the best they can. New principal Mrs Dias-pareja is Awesome, she is so personally involved in children activities and visits classrooms more often.

Posted December 6, 2009

My son goes to Centre Ridge. He's in 2nd Grade now. He loves this school. He was in Centreville last year. He hates that school. His teacher is Mrs.Brady! When I had a confrence with her she was kind,and helpful! Come to this school!

Posted September 8, 2009

Centre Ridge is an excellent school with caring teachers, talented administrators, and fabulous staff. We have had nothing but excellent experiences with them, whether in the new student orientations, the student assessment and IEP process, or more informally at various events. They welcome parent participation and promote an educational climate that embraces all students and all their strengths.

Posted September 7, 2009

This school is terrible. I am very displeased with the acadimics and plan on moving my children to a diferent school.

Posted March 25, 2008

We have been at this school for 6 years, since kindergarten. While the lower grade teachers are excellent and exceed expectations I have to mention that there are a couple in one of the higher grades that leave you questioning disipline tactics, teaching styles and administrator involvement. This year has been the first for us to question the quality of teachers and advocacy for the students. With only one year left I hope to see changes in staff and improvement in the areas of communication with parents. Be warned that while the principal is very visible in the school and outside functions he is a very nonengaging in areas of concern and/or parent questions.

Posted March 22, 2008

My son is in kindergarten at this school. We are absolutely thrilled with everything we have encountered. His teachers are fantastic(Ms. Arora/Ms. Cassara). We were apprehensive of putting him in public school because we feared he would land in a class with a poor teacher, but that hasn't even been close to the truth. His teachers are so kind, so warm, so engaging for him. Our son is ahead in most areas, so the teachers have found activities to supplement the regular curriculum and keep him interested. We have no complaints about the school itself. We have had minimal dealings with anyone outside of his classroom, but the GT teacher was very attentive, and the office staff has always been helpful. We had been planning on moving prior to our son entering 1st grade in the 2008-09 school year, but have decided against it based on this school.

Posted February 5, 2008

My son attends kindergarten. I was at first apprehensive about him attending public school (he attended Montessori), but with all of the information, open houses, and meeting with his teacher (Ms. Cagle/Mr. Stallworth are fantastic) I felt comfortable with my decision. There is a feeling of success balanced with community and teamwork at this school. They are always rewarding good behavior (Ram program) and have many educational and fun events from holiday faculty revues, bingo, firefighter/police visits, Pocahontas, etc. What I also appreciate is that you are in the know. Newsletters are sent home weekly and offer what they learned that week, what to expect for homework, etc. I'm hands-on, & I like that I can arrange time to spend reading to the class or just having lunch with my boy. I only hope that this school will soon be part of the foreign language immersion program. Other than that--A+

Posted October 24, 2006

This is our second year at Centre Ridge - both under the new principal. I have been extremely pleased with the talent, professionalism and availability of the teachers, especially our first grade teacher. We were given extra help in reading when I requested it. The office is staff is generally friendly, but a little distant as I am a working parent and not 'known' widely around the school outside of our teacher. I am pleased with the school wide respect program. For second grade we have 20 min of reading a night plus a weekly packet that for us works out to be about another 20-30 mins a night - more if we have a week night activity that prevents us from doing more than reading on that night. Homework is math worksheets, and spelling activities. Music, Art and PE in curriculum as well. I am pleased.

Posted May 11, 2006

The teachers are wonderful and utilize various means to teach their subjects. Band is taught once a week and my son has really enjoyed learning to play an instrument. After school sports are provided by SYA, but many children participate so weekends can be very busy. Parents volunteer in many ways around the school and teachers are always happy for the extra help or the kind thought.

Posted January 22, 2006

My son attended this school before our ove within Ffx County. If you are not a part of the 'click' your child will suffer. Also, if you are a working mother be prepared to feel excluded from updates, etc.

Posted April 23, 2005

My son is finishing first grade at Centre Ridge. I find that their disciplinary tactics can be extreme and insensitive. Many times my son has complained that his class gets in trouble as a whole, when he has done nothing wrong. Another reviewer states something to the effect that 'You get in trouble no matter what you do.' So true. The bright side of this approach is that they don't seem to have the problem with bullies that other schools have; I respect them for taking bullying very seriously. Also, my son is a bright kid, and I feel that their curriculum is 'one size fits all' and that they don't do a lot of differentiation for kids with different abilities. There seems to be a real focus on worksheets, not so much on developmentally appropriate and engaging projects.

Posted January 24, 2005

Centre Ridge is a safe, wonderful learning environment that set high academic and social expectations. I've had extremely positive interactions with the administration, office staff and teachers. I'm proud to be a part of such a wonderful learning community!

Posted January 11, 2005

My daughters attended Centre Ridge '02-'03 and '03-'04 school year before moving out of state. Great teachers; Ms. Cruzan(K), Miss Mock(1st), Mrs. Brady(2nd) and Mrs. MatthewsWall(3rd). The only down side, SOL testing which is mandated by the state so it regulates the lesson plans from time to time. (Thank our President for that). The Administration is wonderful too. No complaints, except my girls didn't want to leave when we had to move to Austin, TX.

Posted September 9, 2003

My son is begining 2 grade,the principals and the teachers are great, especially in kindergarten. They have a great ideas and activities in the classroom. There are fun and great activities, and the parents and their families can share. I happy with the school.

Posted June 16, 2003

I'm very unhappy with this school, the teachers and the principals. My 3rd grader comes home with 2 hours of homework a night, some of the homework is ridiculous, Economics, a little much. Recently my Son has been put in special ed, this was supposed to ease his schedule a little and help him, instead this is creating more work, he's being pulled out of his normal class during math and missing it, his teacher then makes him stay in for recess or miss other fun activities to make up what he's missed. He's very upset which is very understandable and really starting to hate school. My oldest child is in 6th grade, he's really learned a lot this year, he's learned that doing the right thing, such as telling on someone for hitting him and not hitting him back gets him in trouble anyway, he's also learned that there is no such thing as self defense, when someone one is beating you up and you defend yourself you get in trouble too. This school has really done a lot for my children and taught them so much, no matter what you do you get in trouble and when you're having problems and receive extra help you're punished for missing class and miss recess and other fun activities to make up the work. I rated parent involvement so high because the homework is so extreme you have to pretty much do it for your children. The teachers, principals and county should be ashamed of themselves. Be talking to you soon School Board.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

68 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students83%

Students without disabilities88%
Limited English proficient students90%
Proficient in English82%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

Female students72%

Students without disabilities92%
Limited English proficient students82%
Proficient in English86%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students without disabilitiesn/a
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

14400 New Braddock Rd