Chantilly, VA
Students enrolled: 2,830

Posted July 30, 2014
I highly recommend Westfield High School. My son graduated this year and entered college with 27 AP credits! He scored a 5 in all but one of the tests - he received a 4. His teachers in the AP classes prepared him fully and thanks to them he exceeded expectations. I credit his teachers at Virginia Run Elementary for setting such a solid foundation. He was accepted to every college that he applied for. The school has SO much to offer. There are so many sports, clubs, and activities to join. He remained friends with many of his Virginia Run neighbors as well as developed a lot of new friends through all of the school sports and activities.

Posted June 20, 2014
I highly recommend Westfield High School. This is my first year in Virginia. I was worried that my 14 year old freshman would have set backs from moving so far away from Missouri. However, his experience was excellent. The counselor challenged him to take advanced classes and he excelled. His coaches challenged him academically also. The coaches talked to the players, keeping up with their grades and home life. My son did not want to take any days off from school to visit Missouri. He was excited about school. I was very impressed with the teachers, coaches and the staff. This was a great first year experience. Westfield made our move much easier than expected.

Posted June 16, 2014
All four of my daughters have attended this school so I have experience with most of the teachers and the administration. I have found them to be caring, professional and truly exceptional. I have always been extremely pleased with the teachers and staff. Westfield is a large school but there is so much to do that it seems small for the kids. School spirit is tremendous, the facilities are without peer and they are award winning in each category! It was a wonderful experience for my children and they were well prepared for college. Communication was frequent and we always felt that our children's best interest were a priority. We are very happy with the education they received and delighted that they had the opportunity to attend this school..

Posted September 25, 2013
Overall, we are quite satisfied with our child s experience at Westfield. Some great teachers, some good teachers and some mediocre teachers. The school building itself is obviously still relatively new and due to rezoning is no longer over capacity so overcrowding is not the issue that it was a few years ago. The athletic programs are second to none with the largest and most modern sports complex of the Fairfax County Public Schools. Westfield s Performing Arts departments are outstanding - led by their award winning Theatre and Band programs. Westfield has been recognized as a Virginia Honor Band 9 times in their 13 year history and their Marching Band was selected to march in the 2014 Tournament of Roses Parade.

Posted July 09, 2013
Very impressed with this school especially Mr. Thomas won best principal in Fairfax County. He is a fantastic, engaging, communicative and honest administrator that does the right thing. I have never been disappointed about how he has handled the challenges during his tenure, many not of his making. The school has had some controversial & scary events associated with it but Mr. Thomas has stood tall and positive while acknowledging the issues. The guidance staff is outstanding & the process to bring the teachers, pupil & parents together to address issues is fantastic. The teaching staff is very solid although we have had some sub par teachers during our 5 years experience. Not terribly impressed with any Fairfax County school in how they manage poor teachers but we did see one completely out of touch teacher exit the year after we voiced our concerns to many administrators. Overall, very happy with the education, clearly communicated expectations of the students & their behavior as well as band/sports offered. Class size is improving but our first child had a class of close to 800 now it's down to 700 or so making it very competitive for extracurricular activities.

Westfield High School 3

Posted April 28, 2013
My son graduated from Westfield and had a great experience. However, my daughter found it to be a very stressful academic environment. Both are top students. We moved out of state, and my daughter found her new school to be more relaxed and pleasant. Though she took honors and AP courses here too, she didn't have hours and hours of homework every night. She had time for other activities and work. Many of Westfield's teachers are good, particularly in English and the arts, but the science teachers are either not prepared or unable to impart their knowledge to the students. The math department has the attitude that top students should be able to teach themselves, so they test them on material they haven't even gone over in class. A meeting with concerned parents confirmed that yes, this is their policy. In my daughter's new school the teachers actually taught the class and asked if anyone had questions, etc., as it should be. Students from both schools are admitted to the nation's top colleges, including my two children. Part of the problem is the parents in the area Westfield serves, who naively believe a school must be that stressful for their children to succeed.

Posted July 13, 2011
Great School with emphasis on Academics and Extra Cirricular activities. Teachers are motivated and push the students to do their best. Great Athletic Booster club that helps keep the sports teams funded while raising school spirit. This is a great school and any student is lucky to attend Westfield High School

Posted May 05, 2011
My two sons graduated from Westfield HS and I have only good things to say about this school. They had a wonderful experience and were admitted to great colleges in VA.

Westfield High School 1

Posted January 24, 2011
Did this school really publish a policy that said kids would fail a class if they discussed their assignments with their own parents? If that is true - this school needs to reevaluate their policies and/or staff.

Westfield High School 1

Posted November 02, 2010
This school has mediocre to bad teachers, especially in the science and math departments. I think they should all be fired and replaced.

Westfield High School
4700 Stonecroft Bv, Chantilly, VA  20151
Last modified Westfield High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westfield High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top