PK-7|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

The school has a lot of great qualities and a lot of areas for improvement (hence the average rating). We have been parents of 2 different children at this campus for a total of 5 years. Firstly, the campus is beautiful. Visit and you will see this. The specials teachers are excellent, namely music, PE and science. I can't say enough positive things about these teachers in the space provided. Visit a specials class and you will see. Academically, the school is split into 2 distinct parts: primary (toddler - kindergarten) and elementary (1st +). The primary side goes through fairly frequent turnover every few years but our experience, even with these changes, has been with teachers who are excellent, caring and dedicated. The program far exceeds any day care program or public school kindergarten (even for Fairfax or Loudon counties). On the elementary side, it falls apart. The lower El teacher has a good academic program but does not recognize or handle children other than those who are gifted and well behaved. (If your child fits that bill, it will likely be fine.) This teacher was downright mean to our child to the point where it far overshadowed the academics. Administratively, the director tries and makes commitments that he has no power to see through. The owners are invisible. In our 5 years, we never met or received an email/phone call from the owners. We also experience problems with the school pulling extra tuition from our account. In an email from the finance person, simply forwarded by the director, we were offered a credit against future tuition due or wait 6 weeks for a refund. Note this happened more than once. (Hint: do not have overdraft protection on your tuition account.) Overall: a great place for kindergarten and younger students. For elementary, I suggest public school or alternate private schools. I also strongly suggest visiting more than once. I also suggest that you & your child spend the day in the classroom more than once. The school is expensive and once in, you need to provide 3 months notice to withdraw. Good luck with your search!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Primary school teachers are execellent. Lower El teacher is unkind. The upper El teacher resigned so that program ended.

Almost all teachers my kids had are great. They are patient and communicate well with parents. They are enthuastic about their jobs and kids. However the owners are micromanaging their staff. The director has limited power and teachers have limited resources. The worst is reintroducing reenrollment fee which penalizing customers' loyalty.

Amount of homework: Agree

Montessori does not emphasis "homework" like a traditional school. However, children do have work to complete every day. Which I know increases at the elementary level as well.

Having attended a traditional school myself, I really wanted my children to experience an educational environment in which they are encouraged to work at their own pace and develop a love for learning. This is exactly what the Accredited Montessori education that The Boyd School has provided for my kids. They love going to school every day and are able to dive head first into whatever their interests are that day. I also love that the school organizes after school extracurriculars for the students in addition to aftercare, as this helps to alleviate some of the pressures that come from DC traffic & commuting. While there have been some teacher changes this year, if history holds true, the new teachers will be just as warm and welcoming as ever.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No when its all about collecting money. I don't see whats the honesty? They took that experience from us!

Amount of homework: Agree

That should standard in any educational purposes keeps the family connected with there on what they are learning in school.

We love Boyd for our 2 kids. We have been part of the Boyd family for the past 4 years and we love it. The teachers are all Montessori certified and the classes are small so each child gets personal attention from knowledgeable staff. The director, Garrett Wilhelm, is extremely friendly and really cares about each student. The school itself is very clean and large with 2 playgrounds, a soccer field, and a large great room with a stage. There are also many extracurricular activities offered after classes including ballet, soccer, piano, guitar, etc. I've seen amazing growth from our kids after starting at Boyd. I highly recommend Boyd to any family. We are very pleased to be a part of the Boyd family.

Every parent wants their child to have that teacher. You know, the one that your child loves & admires & wishes to please. You know, the one that entertains & inspires & encourages your child to reach his/her potential. You know, the one that prepares your child for the next level & fosters a love for learning. We traveled an hour every day for this teacher & it was well worth it. My only regret is that my child did not have more years with this teacher.

We are very happy with the The Boyd School! Before we enrolled our child at the school, we did our own research had heard about some of the issues parents were having with the administration but we never heard any criticism of the teachers. I have read all the reviews posted on this site and I can honestly say that we have not seen or experienced any issues. The school environment is very welcoming and warm. Everyone at the school cares about each child and their development both socially and academically. The school has a new director (since the summer) who has worked very hard to further promote the school community and parent participation/involvement. I believe the school has heard parents' feedback and is working very hard to ensure that the parents are getting the support from the administration and has done a great job in hiring the new director.

Last modified The Boyd School - Westfields is a Private school that serves grades PK-7