Charlottesville, VA

Posted March 14, 2014
This is a fine school! !! Everyone is lovely. My son started the school year late because we moved. His teacher welcomed him with opened arms.His desk had his name, they were waiting for my son!! The whole class knew he was coming because the teacher told them!! I love that!!! Best choice I ever made!!!!

Posted April 18, 2013
I have had three very different children at Greenbrier and I marvel at what a comprehensive, professional and talented staff they have. The principle is devoted to the community and leads the teachers in setting the highest of standards. He also uses his authority to hire only the best educators who make up a cohesive team. We have a diverse population with English as the second language for many. However, all children are given comprehensive supports to reach these high expectations and the results are amazing. I have not met a teacher I would not want my child with. I have not wished for my children to have access to any resource that was not provided. I have one child who receives daily special ed services as well as gifted education. Another child who is in Kindergarten and an advanced reader. Both of my children, and all those I have seen in between have been attended to individually with the goal of seeing growth no matter where they start. The front office staff is efficient and welcoming. The library circulates an amazing number of books daily, children are safe, our guidance counselor is truly effective, we have various resource specialists and the PTO is active!

Posted March 29, 2013
This school should be a model for all the schools in VA. I have relocated to the NOVA area and if it was not for my career, I would come back home for my children to contiue the family tradition of excellent education. I remember more from my 4 years there then my 4 years in undergrad. The teachers actually taught and showed me what I was learning for it stay with me unitl now. I show my children my teaching methods for science, social studies and math that I was taught at this school. Even though the administration has changed a few times since the early 80's I know that passion for teaching in the teachers/instructors have not changed. The facilty wants to see each and every child succeed. A true No Child Left Behind. Compassion, Compassion, compassion. Thank you Greenbrier Elementary for a Great start to my future. GO FROGS!!!!!

Posted February 08, 2011
We have 2 children that attend Greenbrier Elementary. The principle and assistant principle are very supportive. The principle gets quality teachers in the school. We have loved our experience here. I would recommend this school to anyone and I do!

Greenbrier Elementary School 1

Posted January 31, 2010

Posted March 21, 2007
I have two children, both very different, attending Greenbrier. We couldn't be happier. The teachers are excellent and the principal is smart, caring and a great leader. The school has a very active PTO. The parents obviously care a lot about the school. My experience is the teachers have high expectations for every child in the classroom. My children have learned so much academically as well as socially.

Posted October 25, 2006
My child has attended Greenbrier for the past three years, and we have been extremely happy with everything about the school. His teachers have been so caring, professional, and knowledgeable. We have also been pleased with the administration, particularly the principal. She runs the school with a real sense of pride and professionalism, and it shows in the people around her. She truly believes in every one of her students, and her positive outlook reflects in the successes of her staff and students. We love this school and look forward to the rest of our family benifitting from the gifts inside it's doors.

Greenbrier Elementary School 1

Posted December 31, 2005
This school is rated very high, but in my observations, the children in need of additional help are ostracized and retained more than any school I've ever seen. As the principal is very on top of things, her dictatorship style of leadership is very intimidating to staff, children and parents. I believe there would be more parental involvement if the atmosphere was more warm and welcoming to all in this very diverse population of families. Parents are not allowed to walk children to the classrooms, even if she is sad, scared or sick. There would be more parental involvement with encouragement and not intimidation or belittlement.

Posted November 21, 2005
I felt so welcomed when we were choosing Greenbrier to be our school after our move to C'Ville. It was the best choice. You walk in and everyone knows your name and make you feel welcomed. You can be as active as you wish and if you don'thave time, you will know that your children still are having a great educational experience. The teachers are wonderful and they want to do what is best for each child individually. This is a great school and we will be sad to leave it.

Posted March 31, 2005
- a former student
Parent Involvement at the school is amazing to me because they care unlike some other schools i have seen. academic programs really challenge the students to use their minds and think creativly. the music department at the school is like no other. the kids learn to play the recorder and the spoons!

Greenbrier Elementary School
2228 Greenbrier Drive, Charlottesville, VA  22901
Last modified Greenbrier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Greenbrier Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top