Peabody School

Private | PK-8 | 158 students

Peabody School offers a full-time program for academically advanced students.

Living in Charlottesville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $246,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Sweep tile

Posted March 31, 2014

Peabody is an exceptional school for kids who love to learn and teachers who love to teach. Our family has been with the school for 6 years now and Peabody continues to knock our socks off on a routine basis. Where else would you find a first grade teacher who uses Oreos to teach the phases of the moon, or will happily jump up onto a table to make a lesson fun and memorable? Where else would you find a head of school who will give up her Saturday night for a middle school girls sleepover to build sisterhood and respect at a time when tweens in other schools are perfecting their mean girl skills? Where else would you find an all-school talent show where a kid can get up and sing a solo without fear of being laughed at AND to thunderous applause from his peers (no matter how good the actual singing). And where else will you find kids who are as uniquely curious, kind, original and, unabashedly, themselves? If Peabody has any shortcoming, it is only that it has to end after eighth grade.

Posted March 18, 2014

Obviously all these positive reviews are fake, probably written by a school administrator -notice the dates? Several of them are posted on the same date, others a few days apart, with no logical intervals. Unless a bunch of parents collectively decided one day to hit the reviews, the school is desperately trying to address what everyone knows is a horrible reputation -especially in regards to the administrators.

Posted January 18, 2014

I love Peabody. I do not know why the school has been getting such bad reviews, because I have been here for 7 years, since Kindergarten. The school has much improved and growed in the past few years. We got a new, nicer receptionist, we have new teachers that love to teach (and learn from us, the students) and we have a lot that will be done next year. The school is building a new middle school and gym, and more space for playing sports. They are also offering lots of extracurricular activities after school. I have some problems with social skills, so the school noticed that and now I have a meeting with a teacher every Tuesday at lunch, that is very informative and helpful. The teachers have a lot of excitement for learning, and offer help when ever you need it. I love Peabody in every way. -Submitted by a current student

Posted December 8, 2013

This is one of the worst schools I've ever been too. I was bullied constantly and made fun of for no reason at all. Their bullying to me has made me and 5 other kids leave the school. I know this because I was a student! Its your choice if you choose to send your kids, but I recommend a second thought for sure.

Posted December 5, 2013

Peabody is an awesome place that encourages its students to think independently, be kind, contribute to their class & community and overall just be better, more inquisitive kids. we had high expectations and it has far exceeded those.

Posted August 5, 2013

This school and its wonderful staff have provided a warm and nurturing experience for two of our children over many years. The classes are small and the children become as siblings, developing bonds that will last a lifetime. Classes encourage enthusiasm for learning and accomplishment, and allow the children to progress at their own - generally accelerated - pace. Homework is minimal (but allows the student to explore further what s/he learned in class) which allows for family time and age-appropriate adventures and work. This school became our family's community, a diverse group of friends equally enthusiastic about learning and conscious living. Not the best match for all children (no school is), but worth visiting and seeing for yourself if it might be a good match for your child. It was the best match for ours.

Posted February 13, 2013

We relocated to the area this year and our two kids love the school. A great place for smart kids to learn, with challenging work but not being overly competitive with each other. The students seem to be supportive of each other. The athletics have an emphasis on everyone playing and kids having fun. if you see everyone's being dropped off in the morning you can see that they are all happy to be there. Not the fanciest facilities in the area, but the teachers are top notch.

Posted January 7, 2013

We love this school. Our two children feel like Peabody School is a second home. The education is top-notch, and the community is warm, caring and sincere. I am continually amazed by how a school for intellectually advanced children can feel not at all competitive, can embrace learners of all styles, and validates each child for their unique talents. The music and arts programs are exceptional. The administration handles every issue with grace and tact, and is always available when parents (or kids) want to talk. As a parent, I find that I can trust the teachers, administration and leadership completely, and feel the quality of the school is a gift to my children and to myself, where I don't feel the constant need to advocate for my child or watch over anyone's shoulder. I give Peabody School my highest recommendation.

Posted September 20, 2012

Peabody School offers an educational environment that is nurturing and academically challenging. Students are engaged and excited to come to school each day. The faculty members support and encourage one another. Peabody School is an incredibly happy place to be!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 30, 2012

We are thrilled that we have found such a wonderful school for our daughter. She loves to come to school each day and is challenged in ways that have helped her to grow academically and socially. The staff are so dedicated to each child and they strive to create a supportive culture. We feel so blessed to have this school in our community.

Posted January 23, 2012

Peabody has been a wonderful school for our two very different kids. Under the leadership of a new headmaster for the past 3 years, the school has become a top-notch place. It was a good school before. Now it is excellent. My kids thrive with the differentiated teaching (the school REALLY does it). My husband and I are very pleased, and our kids love going to a school where they are challenged, inspired and happy.

Posted April 21, 2011

I've had 2 students at Peabody for 7 years now, and it has been a truly wonderful experience. And in that time, I've seen the school constantly improve--particularly of late, with an administration that looks out for what's best for the students, and which listens and responds to parental concerns. Our kids have found it to be a challenging yet nurturing environment, and they have been blessed with superb teachers who really work hard to understand their students' individual characters and needs.

Posted April 20, 2011

I have 2 children at Peabody, so I've been part of the community for over 8 years. Peabody excels at finding the exact right level of challenge for each child. Finding a level of difficulty that challenges a gifted child without overwhelming them can be tricky, and I see Peabody allowing children to flourish academically, socially, and emotionally. The curriculum is advanced (as evidenced by the academic level students enter in high school, which is often college level), but more than that, it is rich. Peabody teaches children to think critically. I'm often astonished at the connections and reasoning Peabody children employ. Whenever I chaperone field trips, I hear the same from the guides and docents. These kids are learning in such a way that learning is a joyous thing. They are happy, curious, and honored for exactly who they are. Head of School is impressive-- she clearly sees critiques as opportunities for growth. My children's teachers have been excellent. Committed, caring, and dynamic. I find the whole community to be supportive and lively. I feel lucky my children are here.

Posted April 19, 2011

My wife and I had a son who was bored at his child care and when Peabody began their pre-K program we were thrilled with the results. That was several years ago and my son is now finishing up first grade and continues to be excited and enjoys school. The Peabody teachers allow my son to excel at the pace he wants without feeling different as all students are given that opportunity to go at their own pace. Having Peabody in our community is one of the top reasons I am glad to live here. We have enrolled our second son at Peabody this year and his progress has been astounding. The teachers and leadership at Peabody are extremely responsive to my requests and highly accessible. I can feel their commitment to my child's education through their willingness to listen and how they respond. If you get a chance to have your child be a Peabody Panther you will be glad you did.

Posted April 19, 2011

We have two kids at Peabody and have been there 7 years now. We feel the school is truly exceptional. The academics are, obviously, very strong and the school philosophy of differentiation is tremendously well done. It really benefits the kids. The best thing, in our opinion, is that the classroom environment really fosters not only curiosity, but also a sense that everyone's opinion is important. Kids grow up understanding how to share their opinions respectfully, and to engage ideas and concepts. It's not about "rote learning" but really about engaging the material and, best of all, THINKING. Our kids wake up happy to go to school every day and, because all the kids at Peabody are bright, they are free to be known as something other than "the smart kid". The Head of School is absolutely top notch and very responsive to questions or concerns, as are the teachers. Like any school, Peabody can have bad luck hiring a teacher who seems great but turns out not to be. When such situations have arisen in the past, they have handled this as well as possible under difficult circumstances. Overall, Peabody is a terrific place for kids to grow and learn--we can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted April 19, 2011

This has been our first year at Peabody and we could not be more pleased - our son is in 3rd grade there and our daughter in first, and both of them have thrived in this supportive and enriching environment. Our previous school's curriculum was weaker than we had suspected, but the Peabody teachers have brought both kids up to speed in no time flat, and we have been amazed at their accomplishments this year, not just in the core academic subjects, but in music and the arts as well. The head of school has been a dream to work with - very accessible, accommodating, and is widely respected by students, staff, and parents alike.

Posted April 18, 2011

We have been a Peabody family for the past four years and couldn't be happier. We looked carefully at a number of public and independent schools before choosing Peabody. Although my boys have very different temperaments and academic profiles, Peabody has been a great fit for both. The teachers stand out because they truly adore these children, they provide challenging, individualized curriculum, and they nurture children's curiosity. The Head of School stands out because she's approachable and action-oriented, and as a former teacher, she "gets" the kids. And the children stand out for their love of learning and kindness towards each other. We are so fortunate to have this school in our community.

Posted April 12, 2011

There is no other school like Peabody in the area. My children are at a place in which they have true "voice" and they are excited to come to school everyday. The teaching staff is of the highest caliber, and as a parent I feel heard and appreciated.

Posted January 26, 2011

We have had our children at Peabody for a number of years. We are beyond pleased with the school. Our children are happy and enthusiastically learning. We have seen the head of school professionally handle the occasional challenges the school has faced, and her concern with providing the best environment for the kids is evident. We couldn't be happier than we are at Peabody.

Posted January 26, 2011

Both of my boys went from first to eight grade at Peabody, and it was absolutely the best decision that we made for them. ALL of the teachers that both of our boys had were great. I have been totally satisfied with the quality of teaching, the curriculum, and the current leadership at the school. My older son is now at Charlottesville High School and is thriving in his honors and AP classes. Attending Peabody made him totally prepared for high school both academically and socially. He was co-captain of the JV football team last year and is involved in other sports. My younger son will go to CHS next year too, and Peabody provided him with fabulous skills in music that hopefully will serve him well in CHS's top notch music program. Both of my sons have very different talents and needs and Peabody School was able to respond to and serve both of them equally well. I highly recommend the school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Robotics club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Renee Henslee
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Robotics club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom