Charlottesville, VA

Monticello High School 1

Posted August 09, 2014
Worst school I've gone too all they care about it the sports they just tell all the seniors turning 18 or Juniors to drop out because they can and then they act like they didn't know what happened . needs a new principal a new coaching staff and new teachers any other school in albemarle would be better.

Posted February 25, 2012
One of the best High schools I've enrolled my kids in, excellent Academic choices, great staff, good values. Wonderful environment, overall the best Hight School to deal with as a parent.

Posted November 19, 2008
Great school! It has matured and really developed in a positive way since it was first established just 10 years ago. My child is in all advanced honors and AP courses. An excellent choice if a parent wants a school that values its diverse population, with a strong emphasis on academic excellence, welcoming environment, excellent facilities a nd values engaging the community. compliments from parents. It has a good athletics dept but uneven in its commitment to athletics. Some sports heavily supported, others not as much. Overall, a great school.

Monticello High School 3

Posted July 27, 2008

Posted June 23, 2008
Monticello Public High School has a grate educational program and a grate faculty that cares about the student. MHS has grate academic standings in almost all of the courses offered at the school. MHS has one of the best athletic standing in all of Virginia. Winning a State Football championship in 2007-2008 season the first championship title in the 10 year history of the school (founded in 1998). MHS has the highest SOL passing rate in Jefferson district and is one of the top in academics

Posted July 24, 2007
When Haun came to MHS I was ELATED. He does a wonderful job and should not have to run interference with unruly, unparented kids. He is a principal, not a warden. Two of mine have passed thru with Billy and I could not have been more pleased. My Sr. carries a 4.50 weighed GPA and has only met 1 or 2 teachers not worth her time. Sports are top notch too.

Posted June 30, 2007

Posted October 30, 2006
I can only compare my students activity here at MHS, to his previous school experiences. My son has blossomed here and is achieving his goals. The staff and ancillary personnel lead by the principal are doing what is necessary to give our students the education they deserve and are entitled to in America. We need to stand behind them in their efforts to provide for this generation of citizens. Concerned parents need to work with instead of critizing MHS.

Monticello High School 3

Posted October 27, 2006
My child turned 18 during the school year and they basically told my child they were free to drop out since they were 18 years old! I was so upset from the coaching staff, to the counselor, to the principal, to the superintendent's office, if I could have done somthing to them I would have! They got to live out thier lives and then just tell a new 18 year old, 'hey you can drop out if you want to'! My child had good grades and was well liked, I could see if they were a problem student, but even if they were a bad child, the overall comments and lack of concern was too much to bear!

Posted September 15, 2006
These comments sound like they were written by students! We have our 3rd student at MHS and have found teachers and principals extremely concerned and willing to go the extra mile to work with willing students who show initiative to help themselves. Don't blame teachers/principals for students who don't take initiative to work, improve, seek help and accept help. Several times we have met with teachers who have bent over backwards to show our students how to improve with study habits, writing assignments, accuracy, etc. These other comments are too vague to allow a poor conception of our school.

Monticello High School
1400 Independence Way, Charlottesville, VA  22902
Last modified Monticello High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monticello High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top