No rating

Hargrave Military Academy

Private | 7-12 | 214 students

Living in Chatham

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $95,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $580.

Posted August 13, 2014

Be careful before sending your son to this school. The structure was good during the week, but the boys have very little supervision or structure on the weekends. There are few adults supervising on the weekends and they rely on cadets reporting on each other. This is a problem as many of the students were troubled teens who negatively influenced others.

Posted February 5, 2014

Hargrave Military Academy - Hargrave has really turned my son around. He started there in September 2013 after a dismal failing year in an otherwise excellent public school. Each quarter he improved his grades and we credit that with Hargrave's focus on discipline, academics and structure. The class sizes are very small, teachers are very responsive as is the entire Hargrave staff - infirmary, counselors, and administrative staff. It is run like a military school which is exactly what my son needed. He adapted very quickly to the environment and continues to improve each quarter.

Posted December 27, 2013

This school is not for bad kids, it's for kids who are average. This school brings out the best or worst in people . From experience this school is not for the weak minded it is harder than any other school and it has excellent academics if your kid is not learning it's his fault not the teachers this school teaches real leadership without hazing or discipline this is the best school if your kid can be molded and I'd open to change its changed me I was not confident and I was weak now. I'm now strong and confident. this school is best if your kid wants to go into the military or business. The school is working towards reforming the barracks it is not poor but not rich for a school either It is what your kid makes of it remember it gears him towards the real world through hardship. Remember the true pheonix rises from the ashes. - submitted by a cadet senior and leader

Posted October 23, 2013

This school is absoulutely ridiculous, i get abused everyday by teachers, coaches, staff, and students as well. Coming to this school was the worst decision i have made in my entire life.

Posted September 15, 2013

This school has no standards for the children. Over thirty two thousand dollars are paid per year and the walls are falling apart. The cadets wonder where all the money is going to. They unfairly treat the cadets and I know this because I was a teacher here for 8 years now. The only reason I stayed was because the education was horrible when I got here. I want to help these children get an education for college. The teachers are not certified in my opinion because some of the teachers are college dropouts that graduated at the age of 40. This is ridiculous
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 4, 2013

The barracks are DEPLORABLE. We understand the age of the buildings, but parents should at least expect cleanliness. When we moved our son, the room was filthy. We had to scrub the floor/baseboards, empty the desk drawers of food/garbage and clean/disinfect the sink. The mattresses were stained, and the furniture was worn with scratches/scribbles. The oversight by the TAC during the year was minimal at best. Boys run the halls screaming and carrying on in the evening while we were trying to talk to our son on the phone. When we visited, clothes in some rooms were strewn about in a mess definitely not in compliance with the strict inspections that Hargrave claims to make regularly. The communal bathroom was disgusting. Two of the four showers did not have curtains for the first 5 weeks, the urinal was frequently broken, doors on the toilet stalls were removed, and towels were on the floor. (Too bad we can t post pictures!) We spoke multiple times to the TAC and school officials who promised results, but we saw no improvements. Be sure to bring cleaning materials and your elbow grease during move-in and for each visit because your complaints will land on deaf ears.

Posted July 24, 2013

HARGRAVE DID NOT DELIVER ON ANY OF ITS PROMISES IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! During supervised study hall each night, Hargrave promises that a faculty member will visit the student s room to check on homework completion and organization of notes/notebooks. We were horrified to learn after the first 6 weeks that our son s notebook binders for two core classes were empty!! Neither the study hall faculty nor the instructors themselves checked or asked about his notebooks or provided assistance with organizational skills. In fact, the faculty advisor assigned to our son failed to meet with him or provide us any feedback. We had discussions with teachers and school leaders, but they did NOTHING. Our confidence in Hargrave was totally shattered, and we seriously considered transferring our son to another school in early fall. However, a move would have been even more disruptive, so we stuck it out. The remainder of the year was equally as frustrating as Hargrave continually neglected its promises to parents. We hope we can prevent other parents from having a similar gut-wrenching experience and wasting hard-earned funds by deciding not to send your son to Hargrave in the first place!

Posted January 13, 2012

my son attended HMA for 2 yrs. we sent a kid with mostly Cs, lacking in confidence with respect to school work and willing to find an excuse for failure. We got back a confident kid with high self-esteem , member of the honor roll society and also a recipient of the Colin Powell Leadership Award for excellence & discipline. Thanks HMA & Thanks Dr. Wheeler Baker wherever you are.

Posted December 14, 2011

My son asked me to send him to a military academy his freshman year...it took him a whole year to convince me that it was the best thing for him. He is now in his senior year at Hargrave, he has grown into a thoughtful, motivated, outstanding leader! I am so proud of him, and eternally grateful to the tac officers and faculty members who have invested so much of themselves into their cadets!

Posted November 20, 2010

Excellent school choice! Our son is in his first year there and it was the best decision we ever made! The leadership is excellent, from the teachers to the tactical officers, the coaches, and staff. They REALLY care about your son, unlike public high schools that are overcrowded. Small class sizes, a large number of varsity sports to get involved in, 100% college acceptance rate the past few years, etc. If you have a good kid he will be very successful at Hargrave. There are lots of good kids at Hargrave. It is definitely NOT for lazy parents as one person suggested. It is for parents who want the best for their son and are willing to make the financial and emotional sacrifice to give it to him. I love this school and even though my son does say he gets homesick, he, too, really loves it there. Excellent and highly recommended!

Posted November 12, 2010

I went there one year and I still cant believe I went to that school. Worst year of my childhood. Now I'm a father of 2 beatiful kids, I dont know why any parent would not want to spend as much time as they could with there children. Hargrave is a easy out for bad and lazy parents. 85

Posted June 23, 2010

Our son has attended HMA for the past 4 years (since 7th grade). We believe that it has been an excellent experience for him because of the structure, expectations, discipline, and small class size. He has not required any medication for his ADHD since enrolling due to the environment. Furthermore, occasionally he has struggled with subjects (math and Spanish) and has received additional help in the afternoons without missing his activities because the schedule is adapted for this type of situation. HMA's focus is development of the mind, body, and spirit, and they strive to mold their cadets into caring responsible young men.

Posted June 22, 2010

My son attended Hargrave for all 4 years of high school. He has thanked us for sending him! He played lacrosse and football the last several years, but he played soccer and tennis early on. He was in a downhill spiral with grades and was bullied at our public middle school. At Hargrave he EARNED his ranks and we saw his confidence soar. He is attending Auburn University in Alabama on an academic scholarship and teaching sailing at a YMCA camp this summer. Best money we've ever spent!

Posted March 22, 2009

This school has been the world to me it has helped me succeed academically and athletically. I need the dicipline that HMA provided me with and as a result have become a very responsible and well rounded youg man. I have had the opportunity to play 8 or 9 different sports and the involvment and things to do outside of the classroom have expanded tramendously in the past 4 years that I have been there. I would recommend this school to anyone and also warn that you have to stick it out through the 9th and 10th grade. These are tough years because of the maturity of students at this age. HMA gives you what you need even if you don't particularly love it at a younger age. Class of '09
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 17, 2008

my son is now attending fall of 2008. He loves the experience and the structure. His grades have also improved drasticly over his grades in public school.

Posted June 21, 2008

we sent our child there he was bullied made fun of and did not get the greatest grades. the teachers there seem to be well educated but do not stay on top of the students like they should the public school he went to stayed on top of there students more then hargrave did over all not a good school

Posted October 20, 2007

My son went last year and hated it. It had poor staf, a bad headmaster, and lots of bullies. Just a bad place to send a child even if he needs diciplen.

Posted July 25, 2007

This is a great school! If you are considering the military when you grow up, this is the place for you!
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 16, 2007

My son attended last year and we had multiple bad experiences. He was bullied by older students unhappy with their overcrowded schedule, and was harrassed repeatedly by one of his teachers outside of class for matters having nothing to do with class. The leadership lies repeatedly, telling parents what they think they want to hear and chases shamelessly after tuition money. There has been a huge, continuous turnover in faculty and staff due to the headmaster's poor leadership. The administration has discouraged local involvement, and has alienated the community. There have been many disciplinary irregularities where some kids have been allowed to stay after having committed worse offenses than others who have been dismissed. Stay away from this school. It has become a reform school tetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

Posted June 5, 2007

Our son just graduated from Hargrave. It was a wonderful experience for both him and us, his parents. This school is definitely a college prep school. My son was in the school's advanced diploma program, graduated with honors, did excellent on his SATs and was accepted to all of the colleges he applied to. In addition, he played varsity sports and participated in several extra-curricular activities. I can't say enough about the outstanding staff and teachers. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for an exceptional education experience for their son.
—Submitted by a teacher

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All boys
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ABS
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

200 Military Drive