Chatham, VA

Posted August 13, 2014
Be careful before sending your son to this school. The structure was good during the week, but the boys have very little supervision or structure on the weekends. There are few adults supervising on the weekends and they rely on cadets reporting on each other. This is a problem as many of the students were troubled teens who negatively influenced others.

Posted February 05, 2014
Hargrave Military Academy - Hargrave has really turned my son around. He started there in September 2013 after a dismal failing year in an otherwise excellent public school. Each quarter he improved his grades and we credit that with Hargrave's focus on discipline, academics and structure. The class sizes are very small, teachers are very responsive as is the entire Hargrave staff - infirmary, counselors, and administrative staff. It is run like a military school which is exactly what my son needed. He adapted very quickly to the environment and continues to improve each quarter.

Hargrave Military Academy 4

Posted December 27, 2013
This school is not for bad kids, it's for kids who are average. This school brings out the best or worst in people . From experience this school is not for the weak minded it is harder than any other school and it has excellent academics if your kid is not learning it's his fault not the teachers this school teaches real leadership without hazing or discipline this is the best school if your kid can be molded and I'd open to change its changed me I was not confident and I was weak now. I'm now strong and confident. this school is best if your kid wants to go into the military or business. The school is working towards reforming the barracks it is not poor but not rich for a school either It is what your kid makes of it remember it gears him towards the real world through hardship. Remember the true pheonix rises from the ashes. - submitted by a cadet senior and leader

Posted October 23, 2013
This school is absoulutely ridiculous, i get abused everyday by teachers, coaches, staff, and students as well. Coming to this school was the worst decision i have made in my entire life.

Posted September 15, 2013
This school has no standards for the children. Over thirty two thousand dollars are paid per year and the walls are falling apart. The cadets wonder where all the money is going to. They unfairly treat the cadets and I know this because I was a teacher here for 8 years now. The only reason I stayed was because the education was horrible when I got here. I want to help these children get an education for college. The teachers are not certified in my opinion because some of the teachers are college dropouts that graduated at the age of 40. This is ridiculous

Posted August 04, 2013
The barracks are DEPLORABLE. We understand the age of the buildings, but parents should at least expect cleanliness. When we moved our son, the room was filthy. We had to scrub the floor/baseboards, empty the desk drawers of food/garbage and clean/disinfect the sink. The mattresses were stained, and the furniture was worn with scratches/scribbles. The oversight by the TAC during the year was minimal at best. Boys run the halls screaming and carrying on in the evening while we were trying to talk to our son on the phone. When we visited, clothes in some rooms were strewn about in a mess definitely not in compliance with the strict inspections that Hargrave claims to make regularly. The communal bathroom was disgusting. Two of the four showers did not have curtains for the first 5 weeks, the urinal was frequently broken, doors on the toilet stalls were removed, and towels were on the floor. (Too bad we can t post pictures!) We spoke multiple times to the TAC and school officials who promised results, but we saw no improvements. Be sure to bring cleaning materials and your elbow grease during move-in and for each visit because your complaints will land on deaf ears.

Posted July 24, 2013
HARGRAVE DID NOT DELIVER ON ANY OF ITS PROMISES IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! During supervised study hall each night, Hargrave promises that a faculty member will visit the student s room to check on homework completion and organization of notes/notebooks. We were horrified to learn after the first 6 weeks that our son s notebook binders for two core classes were empty!! Neither the study hall faculty nor the instructors themselves checked or asked about his notebooks or provided assistance with organizational skills. In fact, the faculty advisor assigned to our son failed to meet with him or provide us any feedback. We had discussions with teachers and school leaders, but they did NOTHING. Our confidence in Hargrave was totally shattered, and we seriously considered transferring our son to another school in early fall. However, a move would have been even more disruptive, so we stuck it out. The remainder of the year was equally as frustrating as Hargrave continually neglected its promises to parents. We hope we can prevent other parents from having a similar gut-wrenching experience and wasting hard-earned funds by deciding not to send your son to Hargrave in the first place!

Posted January 13, 2012
my son attended HMA for 2 yrs. we sent a kid with mostly Cs, lacking in confidence with respect to school work and willing to find an excuse for failure. We got back a confident kid with high self-esteem , member of the honor roll society and also a recipient of the Colin Powell Leadership Award for excellence & discipline. Thanks HMA & Thanks Dr. Wheeler Baker wherever you are.

Posted December 14, 2011
My son asked me to send him to a military academy his freshman year...it took him a whole year to convince me that it was the best thing for him. He is now in his senior year at Hargrave, he has grown into a thoughtful, motivated, outstanding leader! I am so proud of him, and eternally grateful to the tac officers and faculty members who have invested so much of themselves into their cadets!

Posted November 20, 2010
Excellent school choice! Our son is in his first year there and it was the best decision we ever made! The leadership is excellent, from the teachers to the tactical officers, the coaches, and staff. They REALLY care about your son, unlike public high schools that are overcrowded. Small class sizes, a large number of varsity sports to get involved in, 100% college acceptance rate the past few years, etc. If you have a good kid he will be very successful at Hargrave. There are lots of good kids at Hargrave. It is definitely NOT for lazy parents as one person suggested. It is for parents who want the best for their son and are willing to make the financial and emotional sacrifice to give it to him. I love this school and even though my son does say he gets homesick, he, too, really loves it there. Excellent and highly recommended!

Hargrave Military Academy
200 Military Drive, Chatham, VA  24531
Last modified Hargrave Military Academy is a Private school that serves grades 7-12
Hargrave Military Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top