No rating

Greenbrier Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 594 students

Student diversity

Living in Chesapeake

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $214,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted January 18, 2014

the playground has safety hazard for the ground is covered with non rubber material. Also, the security level is low, teacher to student is ok, but just one teacher in one classroom, so no one oversees it. The best should be one teacher with one assistant.

Posted January 13, 2014

After having been associated with GCA for many years, I am so disappointed with the Administration. They definately have the my way or the highway mentality. How sad and just like the pharisees profess one thing but don't live it...forgiveness is not on their agenda. How sad that they would rather nit pick at issues than show the Christ-like spirit. Read their principles...Matthew 18 principle is far from the basis of how to handle problems. There are a handful of dedicated, loving, concerned teachers and administdative staff, but if you have a problem with a teacher, GCA will always side with them. Their board and most office staff are all related or inter-married...nepotism at its finest. How very sad to see all this done under the umbrella of "christianity".

Posted September 10, 2013

GCA is spiritually and academically minded. They encourage the families to partner with the teachers/staff in the training of the students to be godly role models while developing their talents to honor God with their lives.

Posted May 23, 2013

GCA provides a great balance among academics, sports, and extra-curricular activities. We have three children attending and are very pleased with their growth. The facilities are top rate - better in many ways than the nearby public schools and certainly in comparison to most private schools. I especially appreciate the fact that they provide a conservative Bible-Based world view along with strong academics, but are independent from any particular church.

Posted May 2, 2013

I have shadowed here and have friends at GCA. With my one day there I noticed several things I did not agree with, but it is waaaaay better than my current school. I heard one kid say one cuss word and one child throw quite a tantrum. Teachers handled both well though and there are several great kids there though.

Posted January 26, 2013

Our daughter has attended GCA for seven years. She loves the school and we have had positive experiences with all the teachers.Our daughter grows in her Christian faith every year. It's been a blessing to us. I've read the other reviews and they puzzle me: We are not hit up for money every month. There are scheduled fund raisers throughout the year. Compared to other private schools, GCA costs less. We love it here.

Posted March 22, 2012

This is truly a shame because the time my child spent in this school's ECC was quite good. In my child's entrance into their Lower School however there has been a drastic change in teacher kindness and understanding. It's so sad to see what should be a compassionate Christian School and example to unbelievers turn wrong. I have found over the past year 2 of the 3 teacher's in my child's current grade to be haughty, cold, and just plain overly stern. Those are not good odds to get the one teacher per grade that will be a nurturer! Though I still love many of the events at GCA it is not worth my child's peace of mind when he/she is strung out due to the pressure of a high workload, an agressive curriculum per grade where just plain inappropriate materials are pushed on children who are a good grade and 1/2 advanced compounded by unrealistic work standards not to mention limited breaks in 3 hours of aggressive teaching thrust on the children! Forget bringing your concerns to the administration for they will only aid and abet their teacher's nitpicking and bad behavior!The lack of compassion here is abhorent one leader audaciously said If people leave this school I am doing my job!"

Posted February 23, 2012

Without question, one of the finest private schools in Hampton Roads. Among its best qualities are a compassionate, engaged faculty who expect exemplary work from their students, a responsive and thoughtful administration that views parents as equal partners when comes to the education of the student, and a student body that admrably reflects the qualities and morals instilled, cultivated and nutured at a Christian school.

Posted August 1, 2011

We were very disappointed in the administration and academic quality of the school. Teachers were frequently absent in the middle school, did not possess qualifications for the classes they taught, and proritized their personal lives over teaching. Sometimes I wonder how Jesus himself might have fared at this 'christian' school. Would he have been accepted -- or picked on for wearing the wrong brand of polo shirt or not being good at sports?

Posted August 23, 2010

This school only provides one foreign language and few classes to choose from and some grades don't even get to choose classes. Not many sports this school provides VERY Limited amounts of thing. This school would be okay for elementary school students but the middle and high school is terrible. The kids at the school are good kids, but the teachers and principals is another story!

Posted May 26, 2009

I have been going to GCA since first grade and at first I loved the school. However, since entering middle school I have seen the limitations that the school has. We currently offer one foreign language, and that disappoints me because I really don't want to take two years of Spanish. The art program is well-defined, as is the technology and theater departments. I do feel that the academics are not as challenging as I would like, though. For me, I finish my work, tests, and quizzes far faster than average, and I have received post high school grades on my achievement tests since fifth grade. I would welcome a change in the foreign language area and more challenging classes for middle school students, such as a junior AP program aside from honors. However, this school offers a solidly based Christian education. I would recommend this school to anyone!

Posted May 2, 2009

My child goes to greenbrier christain and the school is absolutely absurd. Who ever head of no child left behind needs to tell the administration this

Posted January 30, 2009

This is our second go round at GCA. We would not want our daughter any where else. We tried the public school and what she came home and told me what she learned on her 10 minute bus ride from the other school shocked me. I don't believe overprotecting a child but some things don't need to me learned in 2nd grade. Gca 's STEP program was the best and brought our child up to where she needed to be to compete with the other students. The teachers are loving and take an interest in the kids. They don't separate themselves at lunch like other schools but share the same lunch room with their students. Our daughter has come home with such a different attitude and the school has helped to enforce her walk with God. We love the school.

Posted January 26, 2009

This is my son's second year at GCA. He had been attending another Christian school much closer to my home before making the switch. We absolutely love this school and all that it has to offer. It is worth every minute of travel to get him there. The admistration is run by God loving people who want only the best for my son. Praise the Lord that my son is being treated the same as every other child there. Where we came from it only mattered how much money you had in your checking account.

Posted January 17, 2009

Fantastic school. Teachers and administrators are loving and involved with the students. Low class size is a plus. School emphasizes a biblical eduction without sacrificing high academic standards. Many extracurricular activities and sports. Something for every student's interest. Small school community allows student's to develop their unique interests and talents. Preschool has an inside playground, large classrooms and loving teachers. The fundamentals are emphasized. Lower school students (K - 5) have daily PE or recess and daily special classes of computer, art, music, spanish, or library. Upper school students have daily PE and room for electives in music, art and foreign language.

Posted September 8, 2008

My chilldren attend this school and i've had a wondeful experience all though. My oldest child was also being bullied by student in another class, the teacher did something about it immediatly i let her know. I love this school, the teachers are wonderful. The admin department sent forms and letters throughout the holidays if they had changes in school. My kids have been to another private school and i can say compared to that one, the care and quality of education has been awesome. I can wholeheartedly say i recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 28, 2008

My children have attended this school for a few years now. The teachers are caring and do a good job. However, that is about the only positive experience we have had at this school. My oldest child finally left after being bullied for 3 years and the school not doing much about it. The admin is constantly loosing forms and sends multiple requests for the same forms already turned in. Here we are just a few days from school starting and we were JUST informed that every Friday is early release and there is still no school calendar available. Finally, I do not feel that pick up policies are very strict or enforced for that matter. The school does not care much about making parents happy. They care more about collecting your tuition, in my opinion and you are hit up for more and more money every month.

Posted January 6, 2008

I am an alumni of Greenbrier who now works with children. The quality of our teachers and the amount that the entire staff cares about the students has become more evident as I am around the staff at the areas' public schools. Not only did I receive a much better education than I would have in any of the public schools but I also received a Christ centered education which prepared me for real life. Greenbrier is a refreshing oasis in a sea of mediocrity and terrible public schools.

Posted January 4, 2008

This school is wonderful! The teachers are very sweet and loving. I feel a peace knowing they really care for my child. The dress code has helped to place children on a more even 'playing field.' Awesome school...Worth every penny!

Posted October 25, 2006

I am a student at Greenbrier.I have pretty much grown up at Greenbrier and I have loved every minute of it. Granted, I don't know anything different, but that's something I'm grateful for. These teachers are amazing. They truly care for you, and are always there to help if you need it. I am held accountable in my walk with Christ each and everyday. It is such an incredible experience to go to a school that is like a family, however cliche that may sound. I have friends and teachers that love the Lord and work to keep that the number one priority. Send your kids to Greenbrier. It will be well worth any cost to see your children growing spiritually, and challenged academically.
—Submitted by a student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Dr. Ron White
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious