Chesapeake, VA

Posted June 02, 2014
BRP is an amazing school! My son transferred here from Greenbrier Primary after we moved. His first grade teacher, Mrs. Ward, has been so patient and kind with him his year. He has an IEP as well, and Mrs. Smith, his special education teacher, has kept me up to date religiously with his progress. Mr. Lewter, the principal, truly cares about the students and parents. I was at open house with my two year old daughter and my son by myself due to my husband having to work. My daughter was behaving like a two year old, and as I was giving up and leaving in tears, he took her and kept her for me until Mrs. Ward was done with her presentation. The staff at this school is superb!

Posted June 29, 2013
This is truly a great school! The teachers and staff are top-notch, and really seem to care about the students. The principal is always visible and accessible. He goes out of his way to interact with the children and make them feel special. Children's work adorns the bulletin boards and walls throughout the school. It is a warm and welcoming place, and volunteers are made to feel appreciated. I only wish all schools were like Butts Road Primary!!

Posted November 14, 2012
We just moved here from Georgia. We loved our school in GA and didn't think we could find another to even come close in quality, friendliness, parent involvement, etc. We have found it's match in Butts Road Primary. This school is fabulous. It has welcomed our family with open arms. The principal, Mr. Lewter, is outstanding and innovative! He's very accessable and everyone at the front office is so helpful. We are just thrilled!

Posted July 11, 2012
Both of my children attended and we will miss it. Clean, organized, safe, fantastic teachers and a tremendous amount of support from parents.

Posted January 30, 2012
When relocating to the Hampton Roads area our realtor strongly suggested the Hickory school district. We stretched our budget to find a home in this expensive area .. but the realtor was right. It was the best decision we made. The School system is wonderful. The other parents, the students, the teachers, the principal .. all amazing. We couldn't be happier.

Butts Road Primary School 4

Posted March 14, 2011
My children have been fortunate to have great teachers at BRP. However, other parents have voiced dissatisfaction with some of the other teachers. A majority of the teachers are fine. The curriculum seems challenging. There is a lot of emphasis on reading and writing. My children love the enrichment programs such as music, computer lab, and library time. As a preschooler, my youngest son attended speech therapy at this school. I know that speech therapy is offered to BRP students who need it. Also, this school has awesome parent involvement. The Hawks Booster Club and the PTA really augment the school offerings by hosting special family nights and evening festivals and programs. My only complaints about the school are twofold. First, the facilities are tired and outdated. They did upgrade to more power efficient lighting last year, but the rest of the building needs updating. Second, this area of Chesapeake is experiencing a housing boom, and it seems that the class sizes are growing. They are not crazy big yet, but if the trend continues and Chesapeake doesn't build a new elementary school in the near future, I see crowded classrooms and many more trailers in BRPs future.

Butts Road Primary School 3

Posted February 18, 2011
Over all its a really good school as long as your child is not special needs. For what it lacks in leaving no child behind from an administrative process, there are great teachers who are highly devoted to the children. If your child is special needs, you might want to consider an alternative or become an expert at the IEP process. Although we have not had an optimal experience, many of the children do. In writing a fair review, I think the issues we have encountered are nation wide. The advertised ratios are also not correct by any means but that is because there has been a huge housing boom.

Posted March 25, 2009
I've had 2 kids go through BRP and the resources dedicated to getting students up to the very high standards are amazing. My kids were both 6 months behind when we moved from a 'good' school district in Illinois... In less than 2 years, with a lot of extra BRP help (I was deployed for a year of it!) both are performing above grade level here.

Butts Road Primary School 4

Posted February 17, 2009
BRP is a great school with great teachers and wonderful students. I used greatschools.org when researching our options at the beginning of the school year. I don't regret making BRP our choice, but you should be aware that the 'numbers' are deceiving. The student/teacher ratio is MUCH higher than 17. There are 23-24 students in the classes I am aware of. With budget cuts, it is likely that the number will increase. The staff members are very caring, all but the lunchroom staff. They do not treat the students with respect.

Posted June 11, 2008
I love the teachers and staff. The teachers make learning a fun and interactive adventure. My daughter's teacher has taken time out of her busy schedule to call and check up on concerns that I've had. My daughter receives supplimental learning, and the teacher has followed up so many times and has made helpful suggestions. This is a great school!

Butts Road Primary School
1000 Mt Pleasant Rd, Chesapeake, VA  23322
Last modified Butts Road Primary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-2
Butts Road Primary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top