PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My children attended ASCS for many years but I must say I wasn't terribly impressed once they reached the upper campus but didn't want to take them out because they were comfortable and had developed many friends there. I don't feel AS adjusts and grows, all kids are different and require different attention. For example, if a child has ADD you may have to tell them something more than once not write them up. The discipline seems be completely ridiculous, kids are not dealt with just written up and by time it gets back to them they don't even remember what happened. Why not handle situations when they occur. Very little positive reinforcement is provided, at a Christian school no doubt. I was saddened to hear that 2 of my friends are not sending their kids back next year, Looks like they they would get better.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Obviously some are great and some not so good. Additional training could be provided to help some teachers do a better job.

Develops character: Disagree

Favoritism is definitely shown and obvious to students and parents alike at Atlantic Shores - upper campus.

I am so happy that my children are not only receiving an excellent education, but that they are in an environment that encourages diversity, pushes them towards excellence, and cares for them as individuals. I couldn't be more pleased with the teachers, administrators, range of programs and opportunities. The best part of this school however, is the fact that God is put first and is the foundation for its excellence.

Our 3 children have attended Atlantic Shores for many years now and have received an excellent education. Two of them have graduated and gone on to successful college careers, the third will be taking Dual Enrollment college level classes soon. They have received a well-rounded, Biblical education, with their faith being integrated into every aspect of their lives. The teachers invest in and challenge each student and strive to bring out the best in every child. When there are problems, they are handled with discretion and sensitivity. No school is perfect; the math and science classes at the high school level could be a little stronger, but overall the academic program is excellent. The fine arts and athletic programs are also strong. Our family highly recommends Atlantic Shores Christian School!

Atlantic Shores is one of a kind. My 3 children have blossomed and grown academically, spiritually and emotionally from their time at Atlantic Shores. As a parent, I know that every day my children are being loved and taught from a Biblical perspective. They are exposed to multiple opportunities daily to learn in Specialty classes from experienced educators. Every teacher invests in the lives of my children and the joy of the Lord fills the school. Atlantic Shores values excellent education, Christ centered learning and family relationships. They are excellent communicators and value parental participation. I am blessed to be secure in the fact that my children are gaining more than an education, they are growing in character. Atlantic Shores is an amazing school.

I have four children that span in ages with two who have completed college and two in middle school. Atlantic Shores has done an amazing job with partnering with us as parents with the goal to build Christian character and providing an environment for our children to thrive academically to their fullest potential. The teachers sincerely care about each of our children's success. It says a lot when our kids love coming to school each day. Teachers and Administration are always available and open to discuss questions and concerns. We are super blessed to have a local school that strives for excellence in every way. You cannot find a better, more well rounded CHRISTIAN school in the Tidewater area.

We put our three younger kids at Shores this year and have been so thrilled. We have been to different private schools, public school and even home schooled. This is our "home" and the kids are very happy and thriving. What we appreciate the most about Atlantic Shores is the leadership. We have experienced a humility, vision and strength in the leadership that is not seen at all Christian schools. It is a truly positive learning environment where the teachers and staff genuinely care about all the kids. There is strong discipline without the legalism. The academics are challenging, and the school accommodates different levels of learning. For example, our kids are able to take duel enrollment college courses while at Shores. We are also very happy with the proactive college planning that Shores does. They have great athletics too. Two of our kids are in varsity sports and have really enjoyed it, done well and most importantly continued to grow in their Christian character. We would highly recommend Atlantic Shores.

Atlantic Shores Christian's elementary provides a loving Christian environment that will help your child develop a solid Christian foundation. We were very happy in grades 4-6. Once our child transferred to the secondary campus it was a different experience. The behavioral problems which surface with "preteens" and "teens" are not dealt with appropriately. Discipline is far too lenient. The school is expanding so the need to keep enrollment high is probably will not serve families well. The school is not highly selective in the admissions process; if you can afford the extremely affordable tuition, and the child has no documented severe behavioral or criminial behavior in their background, you're in. At the high school level the academic rigor will not prepare most kids for top tier colleges, but is a more a prep school for Liberty University. We had planned to transition into public schools after the 8th grade, but with all of the factors above including a very bad experience my daughter had where discipline was not administered appropriately, we made the transition after 7th grade. In math and science, the curriculum is quite a bit behind the public schools of chesapeake.

My daughter attended this school last year and we liked the school. There are a few cons I would say about this school though. The tuition is extremely high and when you apply for financial aid, they barely give you enough off to even consider it financial aid. Also they are constantly charging you for stuff. They took pictures several times, created crafts and did other activities and for all the money we paid in tuition I didn't realize we'd be spending a whole lot more throughout the school year. The worst was the Kindergarten graduation, they sent an email saying you could pay $300 to reserve the front row. They are money hungry at this school for sure. The class sizes are pretty big, there were 22 children in my daughters class so I didn't feel like my daughter got the attention she would get if she went to a private school with smaller classes. Lastly, they are teaching common core math which is what public schools are learning and I think that curriculum is horrible. I felt that for all the money we paid in tuition, the curriculum would be different. Overall, if you have money to spend and can afford it, this is a good school.

Last modified Atlantic Shores Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12