Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 741 students

Student diversity

Posted June 13, 2010

My two children love Chittum and have been happy with all 5 of their teachers. The PTA is organized and active. My kids love the playgrounds which have shade and allow for running on a daily basis. Chittum is a happy, pleasant school, and students beg to return to the school to play baseball, ride bikes, or use the park after school is over! (There is also a great pre/after school care program and preschool at the church next to Chittum and a tennis/swim club behind Chittum). My neighbors have successful, happy children in Joliff Middle School , which this school feeds into. I also know of many students that attended Western Branch High and were prepared for top-notch colleges. Children excel in the Western Branch public schools, but parents need to stay involved and support the schools, especially with more budget cuts.

Posted June 12, 2010

My 3 children go to Chittum and we came from a private school atmosphere and I believe Chittum is the closest thing to private school that you can get in a public school . There is lots of parental involvement and everyone seems to know your name and who your children are. We felt so welcomed there and the teachers seem to really enjoy their job..no glum faces. One of my children is special needs and they go above and beyond the call of duty to accomdate him and they truly seem to care about him. When my children graduate Chittum they will go back to private because of the middle school we are zoned for, but I would never remove them from Chittum! We are so glad that our children go there!

Posted January 19, 2009

I have 2 daughters that currently attend Chittum and have been a Chittum parent for 3 years now. I absolutely love the school. I did some research before we moved 3 years ago and knew that Chittum was where I wanted my girls to go. I have never been disappointed or felt that the school needed anything more. The teachers, staff, and surroundings are everything that I wanted for my girls. I know they agree because they are eager to get up and go to school every day of the week. Thanks for doing such a wonderful job and keep up the good work!!!

Posted January 16, 2009

I have 3 kids at Chittum and one has already left this school. The teachers are great! My kids know just about every adult in the school. The school itself could use some brightening up, it's kind of boring (the walls should be painted more colorful). Also I am not satisfied with the half day kindergarten program. They need a full day program, so the children are not behind. These kids catch up and pass neighboring city schools, but if a better program was in place the would exceed all expectations.

Posted November 12, 2008

Fabulous school. My children were all attending private school until my son required some additional help with speech and reading--areas the private school simply couldn't offer. We researched and moved to the area to attend Chittum, and I must say that these last 3 years at the school have been incredible. My children absolutely love the school--for a wide variety of reasons. My wife and I really believe Chittum is as close to a private-school feel as you will find anywhere. The incredibly caring and dedicated staff, go out of there way to provide a safe, fun and loving environment.

Posted September 7, 2008

Coming straight out of a Pennsylvania college to Chesapeake, I was not sure what to expect with Virginia education. However, after 3 years of working with the staff, I can't imagine working with a better team of individuals who privately care about our students, fret about their developments, willingly take professionally enhancing college coursework, and share in the joys of each child's milestone. I'm shocked at the negative comments being posted, and personally feel compelled to defend our school and remind everybody that organizations will not please the everyone. Not every decision goes the way I hope it does either. However, there is not another staff, nor is there another PTA in PA or VA I would rather work with, than the one the community supports at Chittum. As the son of a professor and college town, Chittum teaches all the attitudes our universities want in their future applicants.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 5, 2008

Chittum is a wonderful school. The students are motivated and eager to learn. The teachers continually strive for excellence and are open to sharing their expertise with colleagues. The administration is consistent and supportive of the students. Here at Chittum there is a sense of family. I am very proud to be even a small part of such a great place to learn.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 14, 2008

We have just found out we are moving and I am just sick about it...mainly because of the great experience at Chittum. Our teachers have been motivated, friendly and helpful and the administration is completely approachable and sharp! We have two children who love going to school and I attribute that love of learning to Chittum's teachers, parents and students. Great atmosphere with a small town feel!

Posted February 12, 2008

We have been thoroughly disappointed by our experience at Chittum. The teachers are uninspired. The administration is poor at best. My daughter learned more in preschool then she did in kindergarten! If you are looking for a better than average educational experience, keep looking!

Posted February 17, 2006

With 2 daughters at Chittum, I am very pleased with the academic programs. I think a lot more could be done in terms of extracurricular activities, especially in the lower grade levels. More opportunities (that are not lottery based) should be offered so students can grow socially. I think the parental involvement is excellent and the principal and staff seem genuinely interested in making the school the best it can be.

Posted January 8, 2006

Chittum is a good public school. It is small quite and meets the educational needs of the kids adequately. However like everywhere else in Chesapeake it is over crowded and the teachers have a lot to deal with.

Posted June 7, 2005

Chittum is an awesome school. Every parent should want their child to go there. It is like having a private school without having to pay tuition. The teachers do an outstanding job with the students. They are able to help struggling in fun ways while while challenging students that need a challenge. The school is old but it's what is in the inside that counts (wonderful children, wonderful teachers, wonderful parents, wonderful principal, and students that love school and to learn!)
—Submitted by a staff

Posted June 3, 2005

I have only wonderful things to say about Chittum. My daughter transfered from a private school to Chittum in second grade. We found the teacher and administrators to be very supportive with our concerns of her 'fitting in' and making a smooth transition. As for her third and fourth grade years, there are no words to adequately explain how very pleased we have been. Her teachers continually exceed my expectations. She attends the GATE school and it too is wonderful. Yes, this is an old school. However, I have never thought it 'needed a good scrubbing'. On the contrary I am constantly amazed by how clean and quiet the building (and cafeteria) are kept. Parental involvement is exceptional. We moved from Suffolk to WB specifically for Chittum Elementary. Best decision ever! Karen

Posted May 4, 2005

WOW! I am surprised by the negative comments about Chittum. Been a native of the area for over 40 years. My daughter attended Chittum and did very well into Middle and High school. Honor grad. My son is now there and does well. His current 3rd grade teacher is simply terrific! I go to most PTA and school meetings. I don't find the school dirty or in need of a good scrubbing I find staff to be proactive towards parental concerns. This is an outstanding school, with great test scores and a huge PTA involvement. I say with absolute confidence that anyone sending a child here will not be disappointed if they take time to get to know the school, teacher, staff. Communication works two ways and all parents need to take an active role in their child's school.

Posted January 7, 2005

Chittum Elem needs a good scrubbing. The building is old and dirty on the outside. The playground is substandard and not very secure. This is not a depressed area. More money should be spent on the schools upkeep. It's a matter of pride!

Posted June 20, 2004

Area is growing to rapidly for school to handle load. Student to teacher ratio is very high and thus children are not given the attention, to include praise and discipline, they need.

Posted June 9, 2004

My daughter attended Chittum for two and a half years. I became so disapointed with her educational experience I resorted to homeschooling her. Her classroom was overcrowded and her desk was so small that she was unable to put her legs under her desk. Nothing was done about it. She also had a substitute teacher for three months who constantly sent home misgraded papers. The worst part for my daughter was that she was bullied constantly in her classroom and lunchroom by certain classmates who were never punished. Many times her fifth grade teachers were sarcasic or embarrassed her when she asked questions in class. She became afraid to ask any questions in class. There were also times when there was no bathroom break for over two hours and if my daughter asked to use the restroom she was degraded by her teacher. I regret not withdrawing her earlier.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

112 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students83%

Students with disabilities86%
Students without disabilities98%
Proficient in English96%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students89%

Students with disabilities45%
Students without disabilities95%
Proficient in English87%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

School start time