Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School 2

Posted May 26, 2015
I moved here with my kindergartener in December of this school year. From day one it has been bad. I had to go to the school several times to just enrol her. I wasn't given ANY info that parents are given in the beginning of the year! I wasn't told what time the bus would come or what early dismissal ment for my half day child or what snow delay ment for us. The first early dismissal day the bus never showed up so I called the office and they then informed me that the bus comes an hour early for my child and acted as if I should have known and then wanted to know why I wasn't going to bring her for the hour and a half remaining in her school day. One day the bus didn't show up so I called the office to let them know and they informed me that the school day hours for my child's class had changed and she was already late. I was never informed that the school day started 15 minutes earlier! Also I said something to her teacher a few weeks later and she said she was not informed either. I showed up for book fair in the first day and displayed in all the signs and in the paper sent home and I was turned away and told it wasn't for students yet. I was told my child would not be in the year book so I fid not order one. Then was informed she was in it. I called the office first thing the next day and was I formed there was one left. I told them who I was and said I was coming immediately. I put shoes on all my kids got in the car and drive the 3 minutes to the school. Got to the office and they sold it as soon as they got off the phone with me. I have had to fill out paperwork several times over because the school loses it. This is all in just a few months. What is wrong with these people. They are obviously not military friendly as we move in the middle of the year all the time. We even bought a house in this community because we were told the school was so great. I have yet to see anything great about this school!! So this is all in 5 months and there is more I could write a book. Be weary of puting you child here!!!! Especially if you have a choice and especially if you are military. I don't think the teachers are bad but the people who actually run the school need improvement!!!!! It's sad very sad.

Posted August 26, 2014
Chittum is the best kept secret in Chesapeake! It is dubbed a public, private school! I truly cannot say enough about Chittum-my oldest just graduated and he was very sad to leave. I have two other boys attending and from the GATE program for advanced students to the special education services for those in need, Chittum rocks!

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School 4

Posted June 13, 2010
My two children love Chittum and have been happy with all 5 of their teachers. The PTA is organized and active. My kids love the playgrounds which have shade and allow for running on a daily basis. Chittum is a happy, pleasant school, and students beg to return to the school to play baseball, ride bikes, or use the park after school is over! (There is also a great pre/after school care program and preschool at the church next to Chittum and a tennis/swim club behind Chittum). My neighbors have successful, happy children in Joliff Middle School , which this school feeds into. I also know of many students that attended Western Branch High and were prepared for top-notch colleges. Children excel in the Western Branch public schools, but parents need to stay involved and support the schools, especially with more budget cuts.

Posted June 12, 2010
My 3 children go to Chittum and we came from a private school atmosphere and I believe Chittum is the closest thing to private school that you can get in a public school . There is lots of parental involvement and everyone seems to know your name and who your children are. We felt so welcomed there and the teachers seem to really enjoy their job..no glum faces. One of my children is special needs and they go above and beyond the call of duty to accomdate him and they truly seem to care about him. When my children graduate Chittum they will go back to private because of the middle school we are zoned for, but I would never remove them from Chittum! We are so glad that our children go there!

Posted January 19, 2009
I have 2 daughters that currently attend Chittum and have been a Chittum parent for 3 years now. I absolutely love the school. I did some research before we moved 3 years ago and knew that Chittum was where I wanted my girls to go. I have never been disappointed or felt that the school needed anything more. The teachers, staff, and surroundings are everything that I wanted for my girls. I know they agree because they are eager to get up and go to school every day of the week. Thanks for doing such a wonderful job and keep up the good work!!!

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School 4

Posted January 16, 2009
I have 3 kids at Chittum and one has already left this school. The teachers are great! My kids know just about every adult in the school. The school itself could use some brightening up, it's kind of boring (the walls should be painted more colorful). Also I am not satisfied with the half day kindergarten program. They need a full day program, so the children are not behind. These kids catch up and pass neighboring city schools, but if a better program was in place the would exceed all expectations.

Posted November 12, 2008
Fabulous school. My children were all attending private school until my son required some additional help with speech and reading--areas the private school simply couldn't offer. We researched and moved to the area to attend Chittum, and I must say that these last 3 years at the school have been incredible. My children absolutely love the school--for a wide variety of reasons. My wife and I really believe Chittum is as close to a private-school feel as you will find anywhere. The incredibly caring and dedicated staff, go out of there way to provide a safe, fun and loving environment.

Posted July 05, 2008
Chittum is a wonderful school. The students are motivated and eager to learn. The teachers continually strive for excellence and are open to sharing their expertise with colleagues. The administration is consistent and supportive of the students. Here at Chittum there is a sense of family. I am very proud to be even a small part of such a great place to learn.

Posted May 14, 2008
We have just found out we are moving and I am just sick about it...mainly because of the great experience at Chittum. Our teachers have been motivated, friendly and helpful and the administration is completely approachable and sharp! We have two children who love going to school and I attribute that love of learning to Chittum's teachers, parents and students. Great atmosphere with a small town feel!

Posted February 12, 2008
We have been thoroughly disappointed by our experience at Chittum. The teachers are uninspired. The administration is poor at best. My daughter learned more in preschool then she did in kindergarten! If you are looking for a better than average educational experience, keep looking!

2008 Dock Landing Rd, Chesapeake, VA  23321
Last modified Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.