Chesapeake, VA

Posted August 26, 2014
Chittum is the best kept secret in Chesapeake! It is dubbed a public, private school! I truly cannot say enough about Chittum-my oldest just graduated and he was very sad to leave. I have two other boys attending and from the GATE program for advanced students to the special education services for those in need, Chittum rocks!

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School 4

Posted June 13, 2010
My two children love Chittum and have been happy with all 5 of their teachers. The PTA is organized and active. My kids love the playgrounds which have shade and allow for running on a daily basis. Chittum is a happy, pleasant school, and students beg to return to the school to play baseball, ride bikes, or use the park after school is over! (There is also a great pre/after school care program and preschool at the church next to Chittum and a tennis/swim club behind Chittum). My neighbors have successful, happy children in Joliff Middle School , which this school feeds into. I also know of many students that attended Western Branch High and were prepared for top-notch colleges. Children excel in the Western Branch public schools, but parents need to stay involved and support the schools, especially with more budget cuts.

Posted June 12, 2010
My 3 children go to Chittum and we came from a private school atmosphere and I believe Chittum is the closest thing to private school that you can get in a public school . There is lots of parental involvement and everyone seems to know your name and who your children are. We felt so welcomed there and the teachers seem to really enjoy their job..no glum faces. One of my children is special needs and they go above and beyond the call of duty to accomdate him and they truly seem to care about him. When my children graduate Chittum they will go back to private because of the middle school we are zoned for, but I would never remove them from Chittum! We are so glad that our children go there!

Posted January 19, 2009
I have 2 daughters that currently attend Chittum and have been a Chittum parent for 3 years now. I absolutely love the school. I did some research before we moved 3 years ago and knew that Chittum was where I wanted my girls to go. I have never been disappointed or felt that the school needed anything more. The teachers, staff, and surroundings are everything that I wanted for my girls. I know they agree because they are eager to get up and go to school every day of the week. Thanks for doing such a wonderful job and keep up the good work!!!

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School 4

Posted January 16, 2009
I have 3 kids at Chittum and one has already left this school. The teachers are great! My kids know just about every adult in the school. The school itself could use some brightening up, it's kind of boring (the walls should be painted more colorful). Also I am not satisfied with the half day kindergarten program. They need a full day program, so the children are not behind. These kids catch up and pass neighboring city schools, but if a better program was in place the would exceed all expectations.

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School 0

Posted November 12, 2008
Fabulous school. My children were all attending private school until my son required some additional help with speech and reading--areas the private school simply couldn't offer. We researched and moved to the area to attend Chittum, and I must say that these last 3 years at the school have been incredible. My children absolutely love the school--for a wide variety of reasons. My wife and I really believe Chittum is as close to a private-school feel as you will find anywhere. The incredibly caring and dedicated staff, go out of there way to provide a safe, fun and loving environment.

Posted September 07, 2008
Coming straight out of a Pennsylvania college to Chesapeake, I was not sure what to expect with Virginia education. However, after 3 years of working with the staff, I can't imagine working with a better team of individuals who privately care about our students, fret about their developments, willingly take professionally enhancing college coursework, and share in the joys of each child's milestone. I'm shocked at the negative comments being posted, and personally feel compelled to defend our school and remind everybody that organizations will not please the everyone. Not every decision goes the way I hope it does either. However, there is not another staff, nor is there another PTA in PA or VA I would rather work with, than the one the community supports at Chittum. As the son of a professor and college town, Chittum teaches all the attitudes our universities want in their future applicants.

Posted July 05, 2008
Chittum is a wonderful school. The students are motivated and eager to learn. The teachers continually strive for excellence and are open to sharing their expertise with colleagues. The administration is consistent and supportive of the students. Here at Chittum there is a sense of family. I am very proud to be even a small part of such a great place to learn.

Posted May 14, 2008
We have just found out we are moving and I am just sick about it...mainly because of the great experience at Chittum. Our teachers have been motivated, friendly and helpful and the administration is completely approachable and sharp! We have two children who love going to school and I attribute that love of learning to Chittum's teachers, parents and students. Great atmosphere with a small town feel!

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School 0

Posted February 12, 2008
We have been thoroughly disappointed by our experience at Chittum. The teachers are uninspired. The administration is poor at best. My daughter learned more in preschool then she did in kindergarten! If you are looking for a better than average educational experience, keep looking!

Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School
2008 Dock Landing Rd, Chesapeake, VA  23321
Last modified Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edwin W. Chittum Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top