Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I am concerned with the issue of bullying at Hickory Middle School. I feel there should be a point of contact, someone who students can talk to in confidence. Parents, staff need to know more about the problem of bullying. It is present and something needs to be done about protecting our children.

as a student I love HMS, because my teachers are always kind and helping me learn. They give me a challenge, and not a bunch of homework, but only in spots that we need improvement. I still have time to do whatever I want, and I love the after school and before school programs. This school also offers the more expensive instruments for us students to use, so that way the parents don't need to pay for a $30,000 instrument! I love this school!!!!!

Hickory Middle School's teachers and staff are wonderful. My daughter has been in honor classes 3 years now and she has had the best experience with these great teachers than any other school she has attended. As she leaves HMS, my son will start at HMS and I have no doubt he will also have 3 great years with the excellent staff provided.

My daughter was a student here 2012-13 school year. I feel the school lacks responsibility and does not protect its students. My daughter has special needs and her disabilities were not addressed my the staff. Her 504 was rarely followed and the harassment and bullying was so severe that she spent more time out of class than in class. My daughter has trouble communicating on top of other physcial and learning issues and the teachers had no problem accepting blank papers and giving 0`s. How can i send her there again when she is just another # and her best interests are not even looked at?

We just finished 7th and 8th grade and this school was great! Our daughter was inspired and motivated to reach her full potential academically with the exception of one teacher who I think was encouraged to "retire". Everyone else was amazing. They are completely successful at making sure a quiet student isn't lost in a big school atmosphere. The way they set up their teams really helps. Of course, their band program has nationwide recognition. They also don't seem to have any bullying or big discipline issues. We are thrilled!

My son 1st year (6 grade) at Hickory Middle. He has a specific learning disability (dyslexic). Hickory's Middle School Asst. Principal - Mrs. Nancy Parke has been extremely supportive and believe she matched my son with the best group of 6th teachers for our son. My son's teachers are completetly understanding and truly looking out for him and helping him with his studies.

This is our first year at HMS, it has been a great school. I have been pleased with the teacher's and coaches at this school. My child spoke favorably of other faculty members that were not a part of the child s curriculum. I would suggest this school to other parents and not to be afraid to meet and greet the faculty and voice any concerns. The faculty I found was open minded and address any of my concerns.

I have taught at another middle school and a high school, so Hickory is not the only academic atmosphere I know. I love my job! The teachers care about the students as much as, if not more than, the test scores. The students are top notch. Our school runs like a well-oiled piece of machinery which is amazing considering the amount of portable classrooms and number of students we have.

We were involved in HMS for 2&1/2yrs and loved pretty much every moment there! The educators are top notch and foster a challenging learning environment. In honors classes, there were a lot of projects that really made you think about what you were doing, not simply 'cut&paste' a report of some kind. My son's self esteem shot through the roof while there. Dr. Koonce had a 'quiet control' of the kids while still managing to make you feel welcome. He was very involved in the activities of the school and he knew all the names of the kids(all 1800+!!) & knew a parents name &/or face as well. Overall positive experience!

Last modified Hickory Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.