Chesapeake, VA

Southwestern Elementary School 5

Posted February 15, 2014
Such a wonderful school! The teachers are amazing as well as the rest of the staff! Has a great "family" atmosphere and there are a bunch of wonderful programs for the students! This rating needs to be higher! Never judge a book by its cover, so to speak... I'm glad my children attended this school!

Southwestern Elementary School 4

Posted February 04, 2014
Southwestern Elementary is a great school. I've read all the reviews. As a parent I want to be fair in my rating of this school. I've had 3 children attend this school. We moved in the community in 2008. Since that time my children have experienced three different administrators. However, staff turn over is very low. The teachers that have left are those who retired or relocated out of state. To me that says a lot about dedicated educators. I can only say THEY LOVE THEIR STUDENTS including mine. NO SCHOOL IS PERFECT. We all have to do our part to support our children. I think as parents we have to remember with each new administration come new ideas and transitions for everyone. I've even seen it with my own children. Nonetheless, the complaining should not be directed to the school but to Chesapeake Public School Administration or the School Board. The involvement from parents of the community can go a long way. GET INVOLVED! In the six years I've been involved with the community and school I can only say I love living in a tight knitted community. Also I love the staff at Southwestern Elementary. My children also love going to school learning everyday.

Southwestern Elementary School 4

Posted December 27, 2012
Great school experience so far! We were a bit intimidated by less than stellar reviews from neighbors...however, their "knowledge" was based upon assumptions, not actual experience, as they do not send their children there. My son is in first grade now and has had two of the very best teachers I have ever had the pleasure of meetings, the principle is amazing...very dedicated and encouraging. The staff is overall very friendly and welcoming. Parent involvement and school activities are less than I would like, but most families are dual income and work full time. Curriculum is good so far. My son is very advanced, and each year the teacher has gone above and beyond to actually CREATE materials for him that are appropriate and challenging. Class sizes are small and the school is kept very clean and safe. Demographically, this school is not very diverse, and my one complaint would be that I have heard a few staff members speaking improper English, sort of slang, which only further promotes the stereotypes associated with this school. Reading, writing, math, science and social studies are all excellent from what I have observed through homework and projects. A happy parent here!!

Southwestern Elementary School 5

Posted February 01, 2011
I was a student at this school and I gained a very solid foundation from this establishment. The staffing was up to date and current on all teaching methods and used each one to accomadate the different cultures and backgrounds of the children.

Southwestern Elementary School 3

Posted November 22, 2010
my child is not challenged enough either it is almost 2011 and nothing has changed and my child needs more challenging work than 1-10 and alphabets she's on a first to second grade level at this school its ridiculous!

Posted April 24, 2010
My kids has attended Southwestern Elementary School for 2 years. We moved from Va.Beach to Chesapeake in 2009.I have given credit where credit is due.. in my last posted review! However, my greatest concern with S.W.E. school is the gas ordor that it always seems to have whenever I enter the school. I have brought this to many staff members attention including the principal. The first day I walked in the school with my kids in September 2009, I have smelled an gas odor. The reply I received whenever I mentioned it to a staff member is unacceptable to me. I am taking this issue as far as I can...so that this matter can get the attention it deserves.I complained last school term about the gas odor...the problem was so called fixed...this year will be different. I am not giving up!!!!!!!!!!!

Southwestern Elementary School 3

Posted November 11, 2009
I also feel that the above average kid is not challenged. I can not understand why a child who can write his/her name is given a home assignment to say his/her name or if a child can count to 100 is given an assignment to count from 1-10.

Posted October 31, 2009
No school is perfect, but I have never seen a more hard working and dedicated teacher than my son's. He has had the same teacher now for kindergarten and first grade. His reading skills are amazing and his math knowlege is incredible for a 6 year old. Whatever methods his teacher is using, she needs to keep it up! He comes home everyday saying how much he loves school and I was afraid that he wouldn't like it since I never did when I was younger. I am glad there are professionals such as Ms. Lee on the staff of SWE.

Southwestern Elementary School 1

Posted April 16, 2009
I think this 'whole' school could use some more training.....The front office personnel are very rude, the teachers make you feel like you are beneath them, when you ask them questions concerning your child you never seem to get a straight answer. To get an appointment with the principle is like the 'president' you have to go through major security to get an appointment to see her and then she is sooooo busy she is quick with you. I really think they should recognize that every parent is not ghetto and are adults and regardless they should at least treat them with some form of resprect starting with the front office.

Southwestern Elementary School 2

Posted March 29, 2009
My daughter transferred from another school in the district at the beginning of the 07-08 school year as a 3rd grader and it has been the worst move I have ever made and can't wait to get her out. If your child is an average pr needs help this school will help them, but if your child is above the curve and excels, they will be bored and not be pushed to reach even higher then they already do.

4410 Airline Blvd, Chesapeake, VA  23321
Last modified Southwestern Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwestern Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top