Posted August 22, 2014
The staff is incredible, WBHS has the best teachers and staff! My son loves it there also.

Posted August 29, 2013
All three of my children graduated from WBHS and with each one came different challenges. My oldest has a terminal lung condition and they went out of their way to help when he was hospitalized. My daughter loved many of her teachers; one was even a retired FBI agent. My youngest son has Autism, you would think that he would automatically be put in a special needs class. Oh no! You see, WBHS was the last link in a chain started years before. In his IEP every year they would keep challenging him, some of which I didn't think he was ready for...but he accomplished every one. The Chesapeake Public School System is the absolute best! I should know because me and my 5 other siblings all graduated from OFS (ages 64 - 42). In fact, my son had the same English teacher I did when I was in high school. He ended up graduating with a 2.97 GPA and that was a regular diploma having 26 credits! I also appreciated the fact that when my oldest son got into trouble, that they did NOT go easy on him. For every action there is a reaction.

Posted February 04, 2012
As a current sophomore at WBHS, I have no complaints about any of the teachers; however, having been in the honors bubble which is clearly set apart from the rest of the student body, I haven't seen the worst of what can happen. I do know that there are fights, drugs, and other such things throughout the school, but as many others have said prior to this review, that is the parent's issue. As for security and safeguard of the students, the high security is required in a school with so many students in it. Also, Western Branch is very good at making sure us students are out of harm's way. Just yesterday there was a 'gas leak' during home room, the worst time that could have happened. All students were sent to their first bell and then evacuated from the school calmly. My only complaint is that my parents were not informed of this , even though I turned in my emergency card. There is room for improvement, but you will find that in any school.

Western Branch High School 2

Posted January 27, 2012
Western Branch High School showed little leadership when it came to the curriculum. It let students clown around in class and say whatever they wanted out of their mouths, using up precious time to write them up a reforral to the principal's office. Also, for that school to need so much security, makes students wonder whether or not they should tell the bus driver to go to a different Chesapeake school.

Posted August 25, 2011
I taught at WBHS for 10 years and had 2 kids there as students. The student population shifted during my 10 year tenure. WBHS is known as "Tidewater High" because parents from neighboring cities unlawfully enroll their "troubled" kids ay WBHS. These parents hope that the goodness of the WBHS kids will rub off on their own kids. Unfortunately, the reverse happens shifting the student population in a negative direction. The administrators and teachers are very dedicated. Parent involvement lies at opposite extremes. Student success and behavior is the primary responsibility of parents. The administrators, teachers, and community are more in a support role. Unfortunately, some parents do not hold themselves to the same standard of accountability as they hold the administrators and teachers. Come on parents. Take a stand. Reclaim WBHS and restore its excellent reputation from past years.

Posted August 23, 2011
Three of my children have graduated from WBHS. The teachers were patient and thorough. There were times when I was concerned about the kids' grades, but the teachers stayed late and tutored them. For those who are looking for a staff that cares, WBHS is the place to send your children.

Posted May 21, 2010
We came to Virginia as a result of a military move in 2001. Finding good schools was our HIGHEST priority. At the time, we had two children in High School and one in Middle School. Through our research and visits with principal, teachers, coaches, and staff, we determined that Western Branch was the school for us. Our children have graduated from high school and they all received scholarships to good colleges. Our son is an officer in the USAF, our oldest daughter is in Law School, and our youngest daughter is a Junior at University of North Florida. We couldn't be happier about the decision to trust our children's formal education to the teachers of WBHS!

Posted June 17, 2009

Posted May 16, 2009
I have a daughter who graduated from WBHS in 2006 and I also have a daughter who is currently a junior. I'm happy with our Bruin learning community. Both of my girls have had good experiences through the school and became involved in clubs, music, and sports. Diversity is offered in academics and extracurricular activities. Plus, we have a talented and diverse population of students. My daughter is building relationships with people of many different ethnic, cultural, and religious backgrounds. I feel she is a better, more well-rounded person for being at WBHS. All Chesapeake high schools are overcrowded and I applaud the administration and staff for managing this crowded, pressure-cooker full of teens with raging hormones. I don't know how they do it! These days, schools are being asked to do more with less. Their doors have to be open to all students and I fully support their efforts!

Posted May 03, 2009

Western Branch High School
1968 Bruin Pl, Chesapeake, VA  23321
Last modified Western Branch High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Western Branch High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top