Chesapeake, VA
Students enrolled: 1,117

Hugo A. Owens Middle School 2

Posted May 22, 2014
My child lost faith in the school in 6th grade. I have had to deal with an incident or two and neither were resolved. There is a disconnect between staff and parents. The school web site and edline.net are horrendous; both are severely underutilized.

Hugo A. Owens Middle School 4

Posted August 11, 2013
Hugo Owens has been a great local school. Mr. Perez has made this school welcoming and full of pride.

Hugo A. Owens Middle School 1

Posted April 19, 2013
Some of the teachers are absolutely horrendous. We've had problems (as have several other parents) with many of our kids' teachers. The staff and administration show inadequacies, and in general are cold and ineffective. My daughter was actually punched 3 times during lunch when a fight broke out next to her - a teacher saw my child on the ground crying in pain, and told her to "shake it off" and never addressed the issue. When I approached the principal, we were told the teacher didn't report that my daughter was caught up in the fight, and "must not have seen it". The boys were suspended, but no medical attention or even common decency was shown to my daughter. Between that, the nearly complete lack of attention toward the kids, and the numerous sightings of mice and roaches, I give Hugo an overall rating of 1.

Hugo A. Owens Middle School 4

Posted February 01, 2011
This is my daughter's first year at Hugo and she has been very happy there. She has excelled at her classes and joined some very fun and fulfilling after school clubs. She has made a lot of friends and is happy to go everyday. My child is not "gifted" but an average student who works hard and is rewarded for her effort. In some schools the average student falls through the cracks but that has not been the case at Hugo. <b> This school is one of the more economically diverse in the area, being so can lower the over all test scores which brings the GS score down. Don't let that dissuade you from this wonderful school, it is full of great teachers and students!

Hugo A. Owens Middle School 1

Posted March 16, 2009

Posted December 31, 2008

Posted August 25, 2008

Hugo A. Owens Middle School 0

Posted August 19, 2008
My son went to HOMS for two years and will be going to high school in 08-09. I feel that there is too much emphasis on the SOLs in the district of Chesapeake as a whole. HOMS was a wonderful school for my son. You will not find a more caring principal than Mr. Sykes. He truely loves each and every child and HOMS and it shows. Because of this love, Mr. Sykes was nominated by dozens of people (co-workers and parents) and was chosen administrator of the school year 07'-08'. What people think on the outside, especially in Chesapeake, is not always true. As a parent, there is no other school in Chesapeake that I would have rather had my son go to.

Posted January 19, 2008
I am a proud student at Hugo Owens Middle. I have to say that from what i have seen this is the best middle school in the district, no lye! I am an 6th grade honor student taking pre algebra. So i know what is tuff,(doing 8th grade math!). I love my principal Mr, Sykes! the moment i say him i new, that he was going to encourage us to be the best! our sol scores have beat all middle school in the district except great birdge middle and we plan on excelling past them this year! there involvement in ar is finominal! every 6 weeks our principal pulls a name out of the box declaring if you have won $100. Our sports groups are excellent! drama and the year book committee are awesome too! hickory and great bridge may be known as the best but we are!

Posted December 19, 2007

Hugo A. Owens Middle School
1997 Horseback Run, Chesapeake, VA  23323
Last modified Hugo A. Owens Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hugo A. Owens Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top