Chesapeake, VA

Posted September 10, 2013
Greenbrier Primary school is a terrific school. My three children attended this school and it was a wonderful experience for each of them. The staff and teachers work closely together to give their students a great learning environment. The school has up to date books for the Accelerated Reading program, a nice fenced in play ground, and plenty of opportunities for parent involvement. We love GRP!

Greenbrier Primary School 1

Posted May 14, 2013
Extremely disappointed with the PTA - They don't act on input from parents, they are disorganized and they set up the class concerts terribly. Most parents couldn't even see their child. This school has no gym and their cafeteria acts as their auditorium... Certain teachers are good, but others are terrible and do not want parental involvement.

Greenbrier Primary School 3

Posted May 09, 2013
The teacher my daughter has at this school is wonderful. If the administrative staff wasn't so rude the overall experience would be much better. There is no need for top administration to talk down to parents. Very discouraging.

Greenbrier Primary School 2

Posted January 11, 2013
My child has been in K and 1st grade at this school. The student teacher ratio is abysmal. This school has no idea how to properly run a fundraiser. No matter the event (fall festival, breakfast with Santa, etc.) you are forced to pay $5 a ticket for each person in your family, or $20 max for a family larger than four. Because it was ridiculous to pay $20 to have a cheap breakfast with Santa, we didn't even go. However, I would have paid for $10 for just my two children to participate while my husband and I sat with them. I was told this was not an option. There was no description of activities at the Fall Festival, and you're forced to buy tickets in advance, so we decided not to go to that either. They also have a ridiculous amount of products for the children to sell during the year (candles, entertainment books, etc.) I understand the school needs money, but when the children don't go on field trips, teachers are CONSTANTLY asking for basic supplys like soap and paper towels, and the school doesn't hold very many family centric activities, parents become jaded on constantly donating money. I would love to donate my time, but the school doesn't seem to use volunteers too much.

Greenbrier Primary School 4

Posted August 11, 2011
My son entered 1st grade at this school after 4 years in an excellent private school. After the 1st semester, all my worries vanished. GP is a great school and takes academics seriously, reading in particular. Dedicated staff and teachers. I only wish that their playground would be fenced.

Posted June 13, 2011
My son attended a supposed top rated school in Virginia Beach where they did nothing for him except send home nasty grams his kindergarten and first half of first grade. Within 3 weeks of transferring to GPS, he was implemented into the Child Study Committee where he was diagnosed as being autistic. The staff went through a great deal with my son with outside social workers, EVMS Dr's, guidance counselors, prinicpal was involved, etc. Without the staff at GPS, my son would still be struggling at that highly rated VBPS. His teachers in first grade and second grade at GPS, have been very involved, and played a huge role in obtaining his diagnosis and implementing the IEP he needed. Moving to Chesapeake and transferring my son was the BEST possible thing I could have ever done for him!

Greenbrier Primary School 1

Posted May 18, 2011
I would not recommend my child to this school!!!! The parent to teacher communication is very poor and if your child has problems in school then they say that it is a learnig disablity. They are very rude and short with parents who have concerns or options about their teaching methods. I agree with the other parents they are not warm and fuzzy. Also it all depends on the teacher.... pray that you can find a good one or get out as soon as you can!!!!

Posted December 05, 2010
I have a child in 2nd grade and one in kindergarten here. In a time when many programs are being cut, this school offers so much. They have art, music, computer, and P.E. classes. The library is great and the A.R. program is encouraged. The guidance counselor has workshops for kids of divorced parents, deployed family members, etc. There is a speech therapist and school nurse on staff. Children are recognized for being star students and for good character. Their names are announced over the intercom on birthdays. Parental involvement in the classrooms is encouraged and appreciated. The PTA is active and offers numerous activities throughout the year. I can not say enough about this school! Children are encouraged to become well rounded individuals.

Greenbrier Primary School 3

Posted December 08, 2009
I agree with the comment about not being warm and fuzzy. The academics are dependent upon the teacher. The principal and some staff, unfortunately, do not act appreciative of volunteer support. The seem to forget that volunteers are not getting paid and are only trying to make the school better!

Greenbrier Primary School 4

Posted June 24, 2009
The staff and curriculum are above average and very involved. I worked with a contract program and had the honor of working with the teachers in this school with a special ed program.

Greenbrier Primary School
1551 Eden Way South, Chesapeake, VA  23320
Last modified Greenbrier Primary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-2
Greenbrier Primary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top