Chesapeake, VA

Montessori Academy Of Virginia 1

Posted January 17, 2015
Something's fishy. Eight 5-star reviews posted within one week... All use similar grammar and writing styles (e.g., no contractions). Either all of these parents are drinking the same kool-aid or someone decided the ratings needed a boost. Even the last review says something like "We ARE told specifically on our tour about refrigeration". A parent writing an independent review most likely would have said "We WERE told". As a parent interested in Montessori programs for my child, I'm not sure I trust these reviews.

Posted June 24, 2014
As a parent my family is very happy with the Montessori Academy. We are told specifically on our tour about refrigeration, heating food supply list and much more. This is a private school and most private schools or even public schools (!!) don't have these options. We are told on the tour what to expect of the school. The schools that provide meals,supplies etc., charge for it separately or factor it in to the tuition.The posting of 6/23/14 sounds very much like a disgruntled employee !

Posted June 24, 2014
MAV has very clearly written Hand Books for parents and staff. These are based on rules and regulations of State, Social Ss, Fire, Health and Edu. Dept. The supply list is so simple and affordable.We have a huge indoor gym , garden area, library, science room for other activities.Teachers take their classes to the playground and do organized activities during the day. We do outdoor reading, large water activities, story times and group games in addition to outdoor activities. Substitutes are called in when ever a staff member has to leave early or absent. The Social Ss monitor us ,and make sure that every corner is safe for students and staff is well qualified to work. They go through each staff members personal folders and make sure that all the class teachers are qualified and is safe to be around children. There is a lead teacher in every MAV location to make sure there are no violations. Sometimes staff members are asked to leave due to their background criminal history, police records, poor work,performances, or violating the school rules. But the school doesn't announce the real reason to parents to protect the privacy of the staff members.

Posted June 20, 2014
My kids have attended MAV since they were toddlers. They are entering 3rd and kindergarten this coming school year. We have had nothing but positive experiences. The teachers and assistants are INCREDIBLE. I will say that the assistant in my youngest daughter's class is one of the most caring, kind, gentle, mild-mannered, compassionate, soft-spoken people that was ever put on this planet. My oldest daughter's teacher is the cream of the crop. She has learned SO much that she would not learn otherwise in a traditional school. She is well-versed in different cultures, astronomy, science, etc, in addition to the reading, writing and math. Both of my kids have a gained a love of learning that I truly credit MAV 100% with.

Posted June 20, 2014
I am very happy that I joined this Montessori. My child is excelling in this environment and has learned an immense amount . I am also happy to note that the school takes the trouble to let go of staff who are not competent for this program, and strive to retain teachers who understand Montessori. Thank you MAV for all you do!

Posted June 20, 2014
My child went to this Montessori from Pre-K through 5th grade. The school is small; providing an intimate environment of attention and care from teachers and staff. The staff and student body are culturally diverse, exposing the children to different ideas and ways of life. Most importantly, it is a fine example of the Montessori Method, and shows why Montessori continues to produce independent, well-rounded children who love to learn and embrace new challenges. My child received an excellent education. Children in the class scored advanced proficiency on state SOLs, some with perfect scores and accomplished without teaching to the test. The children don t care about letter grades, because there are none. As for parents, there is no bragging My kid got all straight A s or Honor Roll because that is not Montessori! Children simply want to do their best and achievements are theirs alone. The staff is serious about educational results. There is zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior from students, parents or staff. Problems are addressed quickly and with fairness. My child loves her teachers, principal, and the owner. Our experience with this school has been wonderful.

Posted June 19, 2014
Montessori Academy of Virginia is a great school. My daughter has been enrolled here for six years; 3 years in Children's House and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades. My daughter has learned a great deal here. She's not only learned academic topics, but also has learned qualities such as independence, empathy, and respect. I love the multicultural staff and students. The faculty and staff and caring and concerned about her welfare and learning. Any issue I've ever had has been addressed. My only complaint is the small parking lot, but that's well worth it given the excellent quality of education she has gained here.

Posted June 19, 2014
We have had 6 years of experience at this school between our two children. Everyone from the director to the administrator to the teachers to the assistant teachers truly cares about the children and their education. Not only do they teach children, they help them develop confidence, caring, and a love of learning in their lives. Additionally, the tuition is an incredible value, considering the quality of education and the individual attention that students receive. I have been impressed what the children learn beyond the basics of language and mathematics: geography, Spanish, science, music... I would say that after completing children's house most children have a better grasp of geography than the average college educated adult! Montessori Academy provided my children with an amazing foundation for their future academic success. My oldest is now at Norfolk Academy (which most consider to be the most academically challenging school in the area) and is consistently performing at the top of her class. I can't thank the teachers and staff at Montessori Academy enough, I highly recommend them to anyone!

Posted June 18, 2014
Montessori Academy of Virginia-Suffolk We have been parents at the Chesapeake and Suffolk locations for 7 years total. Out of 10 schools that we looked at, we choose MAV as the foundation for learning for our two children. These school and the owner have been the best decision we could have made for our kids. MAV is a very loving, and nurturing school. They teach independent thought and responsibility from a young age. Teacher and parent communication is daily and all my children's teachers have been more than willing work with me on making sure my children get everything they can out of school. The administrator makes direct parent contact (phone calls, meetings, discussions in the hallway) and is timely in dealing with disciplinary actions that may occur. There has never been any issue with the classroom size, even in the busier Chesapeake school. As for the Suffolk location, there is no safety concern in the parking lot. There is a sidewalk and a fence of hedges that separate the main road. And the traffic light, one is being installed currently and is hardly the fault of the school. MAV teaches your kids to have compassion and think. GREAT school!

Posted April 29, 2014
We have been extremely pleased with our daughter's experience at this school! Her first year here we have seen her develop into a sweet, loving, and outgoing little girl, who adores her teachers and her friends. Her teacher is fantastic, and really seems to understand any issues that come up and communicates them to us readily face-to-face. Ms. Michelle at the front desk is perhaps the most helpful person on the planet. The teachers and assistants do hold the children accountable for their behaviors, which we fully support as parents. It is not excessive or inappropriate by any means, and I believe our daughter has learned structure, expectations, and the importance of following directions while also balancing independence in her learning environment. The only concern I have is in the hiring process of the assistant teachers, as they are not certified Montessori instructors (the actual teachers are). However, we have no issue with any staff member at the school. It would be nice to have a refrigerator or cold storage for the lunches and snacks they bring daily from home, but we make do and this is a relatively minor complaint.

Montessori Academy Of Virginia
1468 Kempsville Road, Chesapeake, VA  23320
Last modified Montessori Academy Of Virginia is a Private school that serves grades PK-3
Montessori Academy Of Virginia Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top