Harrowgate Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 482 students

Student diversity

Posted June 6, 2014

We are a military family and we were in this school for four years. I have only good thing to say about this school. Like any other school I like some teacher mor than others. But they have an excellent title one program. And even better PreK. They never neglected any of my children even though my boys are in autism spectrom and ADHD.

Posted October 29, 2012

I a previous post I raved about how wonderful the school is, but now not so great. They have had turn over in adminstration with fabulous adminstrators promoted and new "green" adminstrators replacing them. The warm, welcoming feeling I used to get each time I visited the school has been replaced with a sense of dread everytime I visit the school. The teachers are awesome! They do a great job with the kids. My child has made tremendous strides and no doubt will continue to do so. I'm not so certain the ciriculum that they teach will really help them to get a future job. They no longer teach the children to read and write cursive so unless you teach your child at home, they will grow up not knowing how to sign their own names. It's sad that they focus their teaching to be able to pass a standardized test instead of real world issues. But with what is required to be taught, the teachers are doing a great job.

Posted August 1, 2011

I have been so pleased with my child's success at Harrowgate. The teachers are skilled and partner with parents to insure that each student is successful.

Posted May 24, 2011

My husband is in the military. We move every 3-4 years. My son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at 2 1/2 yrs old. When we moved here last year, I was concerned that he wouldn't get the same care and attention that he received in NC. I was so pleased when I talked to the Vice Principal. She was so caring and attentive to my concerns and my son's needs. A year ago, I was very worried and full of anxiety trying to find a fit for my son in VA. Not now. Today, my son is doing so wonderful. I thank you Harrowgate Elementary. Great Job.

Posted May 6, 2011

The school is great when it comes to your child learning above the level expected of them. I guess you can't ask for perfection in anything however; my children also attended South Hampton in Richmond and I experienced the best of both worlds! Unlike Harrowgate, the school was great academically and had a warming demeanor! Harrowgate doesn't have the family feel and I feel like they are very catering to families outside of the African American culture. It is more like a private school and the families that have stay at home moms and dads who can attend a majority of events get most of the praise. There are parents who are involved in their child's lives but schedules don't permit them to attend every single after school event but ensure that their child is loved and is academically successful do not receive enough support and credit. The atmosphere is as friendly and when there is kindness it seems forced. However, I van not take away from the academic environment, which is excellent! I can admit that there is order and there are incentives in place that encourage the students to push towards their fullest potential. Again, I guess you can't always have the best of both worlds.

Posted May 18, 2010

Harrowgate presents a wonderful learning atmosphere for our children. The staff and teachers are caring individuals who want each and every child to achieve their full potential. The leadership is outstanding, caring and fair. They have many outstanding programs from small reading groups, to family adventure night, to parent partners and programs that help familiarize parents with the school. Our PTA is also outstanding!

Posted June 3, 2009

I am proud to have my grandchild attend Harrowgate. Harrowgate has and outstanding staff of teachers and facilitator who are concern about our childrens developement. this could never happen without a great leader like our Principal Mrs.Woods and her staff and hats off to her supporting staff expecially Mrs. Sykes I am encurage to know that the effort put forth by the principal and her staff, we are headed for another outstanding year. We love Harrowgate. Last but not lease parents get involve!! Our PTA need your support.

Posted June 5, 2008

Excellent school with excellent staff and leaders! A very caring & loving environment for all students! I am a proud parent!

Posted May 28, 2008

My mother attended Harrowgate, I attended Harrowgate and not my daughter is attending Harrowgate. I have seen it grow and change over many years, and I can say that I have enjoyed it all. Mrs. Wood and Mrs. Sykes are good at leading the school through another successful year. PTA program encourages parents to get involved, which is wonderful, the children need all the support that they can get. I give Harrowgate two thumbs up for the great job.

Posted November 27, 2007

We love Harrowgate ! Our daughter loves it too and that says a lot. The teachers and staff are more than wonderful and really good at what they do everyday.

Posted April 20, 2007

I have three children at Harrowgate. We moved hear from another school in Chesterfield two years ago. I am extremely pleased with the outstanding education and teaching that my children are receiving. The small group instruction has let my child that is an above average reader soar at her pace and level. All three of my children love the school and have expressed how happy they are that we moved.

Posted December 8, 2005

My Children have been well cared for and loved at Harrowgate. Ms. Woods leaderships will do good things for Harrowgate Elm. I am happy to have my children attend there.

Posted November 17, 2004

I'm a proud parent of four beautiful children. My oldest is 12 and attends middle school. My three younger as well as the older have all experienced the Harrowgate environment which in our opinion is GREAT! Harrowgate Elementary is conducive to a very good education. There is a quality within the faculty and staff that show how much caring and teaching go hand in hand. My children have loved every one of their teachers. So much so that they play school at home and imitate the teachers by encouraging when a correct answer is given or helping to explain when something is not understood. My children's report cards reflect how well they are doing (A/B Honors or all E's) and that is because of Harrowgate Elementary's faculty and staff. I love Harrowgate and know that my children are doing well there. Thank you to all Harrowgate teachers and Mrs. Noble.

Posted September 30, 2004

I wonder if the some of the reviews listed are actually by parents of students attending harrowgate. My children have been at harrowgate for 3 years now & i am very pleased. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement in some areas, but it is a great school. The teachers are amazing. They care very much about their students. The staff is also wonderful. Mrs. Noble & Mrs. Woods are on top of things. Mrs. Bilter & Mrs. Johnson keep that school running. Don't forget the nurses, assistant teachers,title 1, headstart and the janitorial staff. They are all friendly & helpful. One cannot forget the hardworking pta board. They may be small, but they work very hard to make harrowgate an even better school for your children. Love you Harrowgate.

Posted June 15, 2004

Harrowgate is a terrible school with no principal leadership and too much racial conflict

Posted March 20, 2004

I have been nothing but pleased with Harrowgate. The teachers and staff are nice and truly care about the kids. They have a lot of activities for the kids to participate in.

Posted August 26, 2003

We moved here 2 years ago from out of state and have 2 childen attending Harrowgate ele, and we are more than pleased with the school and its staff, Our childen are held to a higher learning than I recall (being in the same grade~years ago heh), but Its a comfortable and safe atmosphere for our kids. Thanks.

Posted August 26, 2003

Harrowgate is a violent place with lots of gangs forming and black on white racial violence. School is geared to learning disabled students. There is little discipline or quality control.

Posted August 10, 2003

Harrowgate Elm. is #1 in my book, The teachers are the best!Harrowgate really cares for the kids and the staff.Volunteers are always welcome to come in and help out.Stop by and see for your self,I will glad to see.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

64 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students62%

Students with disabilities25%
Students without disabilities76%
Proficient in English66%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students69%

Students with disabilities46%
Students without disabilities79%
Proficient in English73%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Fred Scott

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

15501 Harrowgate Rd.