Thomas Dale High School

Public | 9-12 | 2374 students

Student diversity

Posted January 4, 2014

I'm a military child who went to Thomas Dale only for 5 months. It's not that bad actually. Everyone is nice. NO BULLIES. Most of the teachers are very awesome. The over crowding problem is solved if your wondering. There is now a 9th Grade Campus 9th Graders go there now. The 10-12 graders stay in the main building. Thomas Dale students welcome you if your a new student. Like I was. Very nice and warm school. RIP to Mr. Vinny who passed away recently.

Posted September 10, 2013

Hello, we have twin sons who graduated from Thomas Dale the year your group began, 1998. Our sons got a great education at Thomas Dale. With the help of guidance counselors, particularly Evelyn White, both of them got the help and direction they needed to go on to college and become fine contributing members of our world. In the 90's I think our sons saw more than we ever wanted them to know about life. So many kids who needed someone who cared. Thomas Dale teachers and other staff made the difference for so many children. We are parents who were involved at school and found we were totally impressed with the whole school life there. From classroom studies to sports and everything in between we can honestly say TDHS was and I hear still is one of the best in this area. We go to occasional football games there to feel the spirit of this great school whether it be in the classroom or on the field. GO, THOMAS DALE KNIGHTS AND CONTINUE TO "GO" FOR THE THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS YOU HAVE HELPED IN SO MANY WAYS IN THEIR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!! We are also very impressed with your involvement in our schools. Thanks for being there. Thank you, Karen and Ken Lutes

Posted January 19, 2013

I am bequeathing to Thomas Dale the maximum five-star(excellent) rating. I truly believe the school deserves the recognition. I am a student of the 2011 graduating class, and if I had the choice of any school in the county I would still pick Thomas Dale. I was not involved in any extracurricular activities, but the teachers were huge inspirations to me. My 11th grade Honors English teacher was phenomenal. The work load was outrageous for a high school student, but boy did it prepare me for college. I am much more capable of doing research than most of my collegiate counterparts because of her rigorous and precise papers. To be honest, all of the English teachers I had were great. I believe there is something to be said about the History department as a whole. I am a lover of all history. Each and every one of my history teachers, I feel, were very influential and devoted to the subject. I would hate to leave out the other departments, but History is easier for me to compliment because I thoroughly enjoyed the classes. There really is a warming sense of unity amongst Thomas Dale graduates.

Posted November 27, 2011

When are they going to build a new school for these kids. This school is the biggest in Central VA and way overcrowded!!! It has two campuses!!! A ninth grade campus and a 10-12 campus. I just dont think this is right or fair to the kids! A new school board rep for the Berumuda will hopefully mean we will get a new high school in Chester for our kids!!!

Posted November 4, 2011

I have had 3 kids go through this high school. I would love to rate it higher..however there are issues that can not be ignored. Although all 3 were stellar students, it wasn't easy. But nothing in life is easy. However, my largest complaint would be how rude and unfriendly the front desk staff is. This was a topic of countless discussions among many other parents who shared the same experience of condescending attitudes. We have the right to expect more. We are the parents of the students we entrust them with. We do deserve mutual respect. I have been ignored standing at the front desk, rudely spoken to and often talked to as if I should know what to do. However, most of us do not. I have great kids, never in trouble, with no need to hardly have to visit the school, of course I would not know where to sign in and who specifically I need to speak to regarding various issues or questions. All I ask is for the staff to be welcoming and realize we are on the same side...which should be the well being of our kids at their school!

Posted April 27, 2011

I would rate this school a -5 they dont even care what goes on in the school. Some of the teachers are horrible and can't (don't) teach. They expect the students to get good grades and high scores on the SOL with out their time being sent .

Posted April 22, 2010

This is my first year at Thomas Dale and I expected more from it than it is. Some of the teachers are horrible and can't (don't) teach. They expect us to get good grades and high scores on the SOL but the don't teach us anything that's on it. There are a lot of bugs in the school. One week there was basically an infestation of gnats, everywhere we would go there were gnats. Other than that, the school is just okay.

Posted November 17, 2009

Some of the teachers have chosen the wrong career. They have more interests in power and control than the success of the students!

Posted October 17, 2009

I am new to the area and very impressed with both the curriculum and the staff. It was really easy to enroll and the staff was very friendly. So far my child has had a very positive experience.

Posted October 8, 2009

All four of my children graduated from Thomas Dale High School, and I also taught there for three years. I was so impressed with the level of dedication on the part of the teachers and administration. They are old school in that they believe in going the extra mile to really make a difference in kid's lives. Many of the teachers have been at this school for years and years, and yet they are still constantly making changes and improvements to the curriculum to stay abreast of innovations in education. I couldn't have asked for a better education for my children. Three of my kids went on to college, and one into the Air Force. One was just accepted into the Mason School of Business at William and Mary which has a very demanding curriculum. I feel like this school really prepared my kids for success in life. Thanks to all the dedicated Thomas Dale teachers, guidance counselors, and administrators who helped them along the way!

Posted October 28, 2008

I have two kids at Thomas Dale High School. This year they raised the cost of the food at lunch and the administration is horrible. Very over crowded and needs tons of work.

Posted September 21, 2008

It is overpopulated, but so is every other school in the Chesterfield district from high schools to elementary schools. The administration does the best they can with the ever increasing student load, and from personal experience I can attest that they do their best to form relationships with as many of the students as possible (even those with discipline problems). The teachers are all knowledgeable, most having masters. Good school if your children are into the arts. SOL scores improve with every entering freshmen class.

Posted March 16, 2008

My kids (2 have gone here) have gotten a great education. The administration is tough on rules and kids who might misbehave and I appreciate that. My kids played sports and played in marching band, jazz band, and show choir. They were always around 'good' kids. Thumbs up TDHS!

Posted February 17, 2008

I moved here last year and found friends quickly. I find the teachers willing to give extra help to students who are trying. There are also lots of opportunities in sports, the arts, clubs, community service. It was a good move for me!

Posted January 9, 2008

Excellent caring staff , lots of academic and artistic opportunities for top students. My son loves TDHS.

Posted January 9, 2008

I am in the best theatre program! I can't imagine being anywhere else. Even though I am unsure at this time what my college major will be, I know I have been challenged, excited and motivated being in this program. I've learned to organize my time and meet goals and had the most amazing performances. It's a Specialty Center program. We have one for dance, music and visual arts too. The best kids in the county audition for it.

Posted November 27, 2007

Thomas Dale is a top notch school. The teachers strive to improve our minds and our grades. Of course, work is expected of us students, which seems to cause some aggravation. 'Oh, BAAAWW! I have homework to do! I hate my teacher because he's preparing me for college! Oh noes!' I've heard it all, and I have to say, there are two groups of students at Thomas Dale. The 'I want to improve myself and someday earn a college degree' students and the 'LAWL I HATE TDHS I WANT 2 B GANGSTA!' students. If your child is the former, then Thomas Dale will provide him or her with a spectacular education (granted that they work to achieve it). If your child is the latter, then prepare yourself for a tidal wave of angst and drama.

Posted November 23, 2007

this school is unsafe and unorganized!!!!

Posted November 8, 2007

Too many students for the size of the school. The education received is good but I am very unhappy with administration, particularly the principal.

Posted May 29, 2007

There is a problem here! With students dicipline, with quality of teachers. If you have kids that have always been A,B students they will probably do fine. If your kids have good dicipline at home and you are getting them to do their homework and study, but still manage to get C grades, good luck. This school will not motivate your average child to do better in class, but it will cram information @ end of the yr to show how good their sol scores are.

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

563 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

542 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

587 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

585 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

561 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

550 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

570 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilities88%
Students without disabilities86%
Proficient in English87%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Gym

• Pam Lumsden

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Band

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3626 W. Hundred Rd.