Guardian Christian Academy

Private | PK-10

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Chesterfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $172,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

Guardian Christian Academy is a wonderful Christ-centered school. All teachers in the graded school are Virginia state certified and they are given the freedom to teach children how they learn. Unlike the focus on testing and data we have witnessed in the local public schools, GCA is focused on educating the whole child. Our daughter has blossomed this year and we couldn't be happier.

Posted March 23, 2014

I previously gave GCA a high rating based on my preschool experience; however after seeing the workings of the graded school, I removed my child as did 3 other friends with similar experiences. A summary of my dislikes: 1- I was a very involved parent, a room mom in fact, and when I called the Principal to discuss a decision a teacher made to take children outside in a thunderstorm, she never bothered to return my call. However, when they managed to mess our account and incorrectly thought we had a balance, the principal herself called to advise we would not get a report card until the balance was paid. When I send proof of the error she did not call back to apologize- sent an email instead. 2-The principal is not visible and does not appear to have a relationship with most students. Very selective. School leaders should always be at the front door greeting students in the morning. Only saw her 1 day the entire school year. 3- most importantly, when my child got to public school I discovered that GCA is BEHIND in teaching approaches, technology, and standards. Two GCA students at our new school are enrolled in special programs to help them catch up with their grade level.

Posted March 17, 2014

I have had two children at GCA for 5 years (K-5th) and I have been very pleased with the education, the teacher attentiveness to the students, and the overall environment. The kids and teachers all care about one another and the Christian values instilled at this age have really helped my children as they have aged. The academic curriculum is challenging without being overwhelming, and social and academic expectations are higher than what we were seeing in the county school.

Posted February 25, 2014

Guardian Christian Academy has certainly earned our highest recommendation. Most importantly, we appreciate our child being endowed with the educational balance we were seeking, which includes Christian character building and discipline in a caring atmosphere. Obvious results from dedicated teachers and support staff produce, as evidenced by us, a "happy" satisfied student and "happy" parents, giving us the confidence and support every parent seeks. Our student loves learning and attending Guardian Christian Academy. Their all encompassing and structural EDUCATIONAL program targets your child's progress and individuality. The ease of parent/teacher communication and encouragement of parental involvement provides access to information regarding your child's progress and needs at all times. A happy well-intentioned spirit emanates throughout GCA's programs, staff and support, and allows opportunities anytime for volunteering.

Posted February 22, 2014

I am extremely pleased with the education my son is receiving at GCA. He is a 3rd grader, and has been attending GCA since preschool. Aside from the nurturing, loving environment faculty and staff, the education is phenomenal. There are only 12 other students in my son's class, which affords him ample opportunity to ask questions and get a great deal of personalized attention. When I served as a Watchdog for a day at GCA, our decision to enroll my son was confirmed when I saw how they incorporated God's love into every single subject, in every lesson. I felt incredibly blessed to witness this, particularly at a time when our public school system seems determined to remove God from our classrooms. Another area that I was pleasantly surprised about, was the very reasonable tuition. I would highly recommend GCA to anyone exploring Christian, private school options in the greater Richmond/Chesterfield area.

Posted February 20, 2014

Great school! Our daughter has been attending GCA for 6 years and loves it. The teachers are dedicated and very "hands on" with each child's education and development. GCA gets an A+ from us.

Posted February 20, 2014

Fantastic School! We have had a wonderful experience teaming with GCA. Guardian has offered our kids a warm, friendly, and caring environment in which they have grown academically, but also spiritually and socially. The teachers are wonderful. They truly care about each student and are willing to go above and beyond to ensure each child reaches his full potential. We are also excited about the start of the new high school this year. Sending our kids to Guardian is one of the best choices we have made when it comes to our childrens' education. We look forward to working with the staff for years to come!

Posted February 19, 2014

We have been at GCA for 7 years. We love it. I'm a VERY involved parent. I'm in constant contact with the teachers. My daughter has thrived GREATLY at GCA. I would recommend GCA to others for sure.

Posted January 14, 2014

We are a 5th year GCA family and feel incredibly blessed to have discovered this school. The teachers love the Lord and have the genuine best interest of the student in mind. Our student has grown academically, socially and is developing a strong biblical worldview. Other reviews written are very confusing to me. We are very involved parents at the school, spending several hours each week volunteering. We do not see the accusations that have been made. Many, many parents are involved in the planning and executing of events. And there are abundant opportunities for others to jump in and assist. For 5 years I have witnessed the majority of students and families love and support one another in school and personal lives. It is true that the school is a ministry of Southside Church, which is obvious to any new family. GCA must partner with the church and the school board for many decisions, this may be frustrating to some, however the resources provided to us by Southside Church are abundant and heighten the experience our students are able to have. GCA is a wonderful school, we will enthusiastically enroll our student for a 6th year.

Posted January 11, 2014

Our child attended this school for only one year because we were not pleased. His teacher was lazy and didn't appear to love her job. Our child had to be continually tutored because he learned nothing. The staff is rude and not friendly at all, it's like they are bothered. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 3, 2012

We visited this school to consider it for our son for Pre-k and Kindergarten and possibly beyond. We were VERY unimpressed when we toured. The Director of the preschool was not friendly and seemed bothered by any questions. It seems VERY unorganized and not at all the top notch environment you would expect of a good private school. It really seemed like it had just been thrown together, rather than organized with advanced Christian education in mind. If you want average, go visit. If you want above average, do not waste your time. Until they put professional educators in charge, nothing will change.

Posted September 1, 2012

Our child attended this school for 3 years. We felt blessed to of had the teachers we did. Each year our child thrived in the classroom and the teachers went ABOVE and BEYOND to help each child achieve their goals. HOWEVER, the administration leaves something to be desired. The inner workings of the school are VERY unorganized. School functions are mandatory and come with a FEE! There is no PTA, just a very small "hush, hush" group of moms/faculty. This group is NOT effective. Add the fact that the church actually makes all final decisions for the school, with or w/out the backing of the GCA families (a TINY percentage of church members have family/friends who attend the school). This has caused poor desicion making. Again, all the teacher's WE'VE had were great, but the inner workings of the school need a TON of work. The comment about the school being clique-ish, I think you'll see that at any school, but at GCA this problem is affecting kids/teachers/parents. There are about 3-4 moms who plan everything and no matter how unorganized or unsuccessful it is, they are chosen to do it again. This gets tiresome for other parents who have the skills/capabilities to do a better job.

Posted May 24, 2012

The other 2 ratings are probably from people that are affiliated with the school some how. If you want an unbiased rating read this. If you want a genuine caring quality education for child I would not send them here. This has been a tough school year for us, my husband and I have to teach my daughter at home. She has learned nothing even having a small class setting. It has been a waste of money and time. I constantly am asking her what does the teacher do all day? The parents are not friendly and they have little groups like cliques. I came from a school were the parents all worked together, the teachers were lacking and the school was lacking but the parents worked together. The school is very unorganized and subpar. When I toured this school I thought it would be a good change. Wrong answer.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Church of the nazarene
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Drama

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6851 Courthouse Road