Posted June 02, 2014
My daughter attended this school! Wonderful faculty and staff. Tons of parental involvement. Worked to make sure my child improved academically, but were also concerned about her social and emotional growth as well!

Posted April 10, 2014
This school is a nightmare. The teachers belittle their students. You can clearly tell that you are judged by the address you live at. The principal is stuck up for no reason and could care less about the children. Keep your children away from this school! The staff is nothing but Unorganized and stuck up individuals! Rude and mean!

O B Gates Elementary School 4

Posted February 25, 2014
This school is located off of Courthouse Road in Chesterfield, Virginia. Students Kindergarten through fifth grade.

Posted August 14, 2013
Our family has been at Gates for five years. We have been really pleased with the overall quality of education. For the most part, we loved all of our teachers. Even the ones that weren't exceptional were still good teachers. We have seen amazing improvements at the school in recent years and are especially impressed by the new Scholastic Book Room. Thank you to the PTA and everyone who made the Book Room possible! I've found that by treating the staff in the front office reasonably and respectfully, they warmed up to me rather quickly. Consequently, they are always helpful and pleasant when I go into the office.

Posted July 28, 2013
OB Gates has been an awesome experience for both my kids. The staff is very helpful and always has a smile on their face when I walk into the office. I cannot say enough about the teachers and how much my children have learned the past few years. Whenever I need information or when I need to speak with the teachers they are very accommodating for my busy schedule. Both my kids come home with all the information needed for me to know what is going on. I feel very confident that my children are in a very safe environment and that they are getting a high quality education.

Posted April 08, 2012
Wow, my child came home last week and said my teacher told me to SHUT UP. What ever happened to be quite , please. There was another teacher in the room who reminded the teacher that she should not tell a student to shut up and she got very offensive with the other teacher. I asked my child what he/she was doing and the reply was I was humming while I was reading to myself . Apparently, none of the other kids complained nor the other teacher. Couldn't have been but so loud. If it was wrong, she could have said be quite. But no, it was a loud SHUT UP. What has happened to Gates. This is only one of a bunch of changes I have seen at O B Gates. I hate even visiting for a party or any programs that hey kids are involved at PTA meetings. I heard one parent complained and because they gave their name, that this parent is being treated very rudely whenever in the school. Maybe the staff, the principal and some of the teachers need to go back to the way it was when everyone loved Gates. A large amount of parents are fed up. I hope to either move or ask for a transfer for next year.

Posted March 28, 2012
O B Gates School has definitely changed. I agree that there is one office worker who sits out front in the office is very rude. I think the new principal is rude and is not effective at all. Going from assistant principal to principal has changed her completely. The teachers don't communicate with the parents as they should. It was once a truly exceptional school. Now I would not recommend to anyone. Whether you call to ask a question or go by the office, it appears that you are really bothering them and so the looks and rudeness begins. I agree that alot of people are lableled according to their address. Guess what the children are all children no matter were the parents live or work.

Posted March 17, 2012
I agree with the other parent not sure who is posting reviews but its not true parents. Awful school. Rude and disrespectful principal and office staff. They behave as though they are better than the rest. Horrible experiences with new principal. She abuses her power and she is not an advocate for students or parents.

O B Gates Elementary School 4

Posted March 24, 2011
My grandson goes to Gates and it seems to be a good school with good teachers.

O B Gates Elementary School 2

Posted January 10, 2011
low morale - poor leasdership-lack of comminication between staff and parents not a happy place- have witnessed teachers and aides verbally belittling students - what a disappointment

O B Gates Elementary School
10001 Courthouse Rd., Chesterfield, VA  23832
Last modified O B Gates Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
O B Gates Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 683 reviews. Top