Clifton, VA

Posted October 24, 2014
I have a 4th and a 6th grader and the Teachers have been amazing. My son started in 1st grade. The school is located inside a residential neighborhood of about 1500 homes and there is a sense of comunity accross the board. I will add since Ms Case has come on board a few of the weak teachers are no longer at the school and each year I see improvement in the school

Posted January 11, 2014
My son Just started his 3rd grade in this school .. Best teachers.. very involved.. keep parents well-informed with whatever going on in classroom.

Posted May 23, 2013
My child is completing his second year at this school. The support at UM is outstanding! The principal, vice principal, counselors and teachers (from librarian, music and PE) are all highly visible, fair, and easy to get to know. I'm very happy with the level of parental involvement. There are always great ways to either help out in the classroom or preparing materials to help the teachers out. The PTA does outstanding work for the school and administration but not living in the Little Rocky Run neighborhood which surrounds the school, makes it difficult to be accepted, very clickish, for the most part but not all. It's too bad the PTA doesn't actually encourage ALL parents to be involved. I certainly commend them on the level of work they do.

Posted October 29, 2012
Top notch school with the BEST teachers! We have been to several elementary schools due to military moves and we can say UMES is the best! Principal and vice principal are highly visible, and communicate well with students and parents. LOTS of proactive parent volunteers. Beautiful library and gymnasium. Full time Advanced Academic teacher can provide your child enrichment if he/she needs it. All around, a GREAT school! Recommend it highly!

Union Mill Elementary School 1

Posted May 24, 2012
School is VERY large and only has one part-time GT teacher. The PTA is a click of SAHM. Since Mrs Shadis left the school has gone downhill. The houses around the school are all older and close together.

Posted February 01, 2011
Union Mill Elementary is a wonderful school, located in an great neighborhood. As a parent I really love the extra-curricular opportunities the school offers, such as Mad Science. Also feel fortunate to have an excellent Principal at the school in Ms. Shadis. All in all its a great school.

Union Mill Elementary School 2

Posted May 25, 2010
I feel the same for second grader. My little student is given spelling words but never tested. The work so is so minimal, that I am forced to supplement the education with my own "work". I am hoping that third grade will be more challenging, but seeing that no new concepts were learned, I am a little afraid that it will be too challenging! Also, the testing procedures are disappointing. The students are pulled from class and "tested" for their reading assessment and for the gifted program in the POD where all the other classes are walking in and out of class. These test are used to determine third grade placement and the testing is compromised because the students don't even have a quiet testing area. It is ridiculous that they put so much emphasis on a test that is so poorly given. Very disappointing!

Union Mill Elementary School 0

Posted January 05, 2010
I am disappointed by the very low workload I am seeing with my second grader. He is an average student being minimally challenged. Can imagine parents of more academically advanced students are quite frustrated. In the fifth month of school very few new skills have been developed since first grade. Concerning.

Posted January 03, 2008

Union Mill Elementary School 1

Posted October 03, 2007

Union Mill Elementary School
13611 Springstone Dr, Clifton, VA  20124
Last modified Union Mill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union Mill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top