Clifton, VA

Posted September 28, 2015
We came to this school from a much smaller FCPS. Initially, I was and still am overwhelmed by the number of students but I have to say that I cannot be happier with the teachers and staff. Our experience has been absolutely welcoming. Just last week they had the new students come up in front of the school to ring the bell to welcome them to the Union Mill family. The year has just started so I have yet to see how my son excels in the classroom but so far he is adjusting well, he loves his teachers, he is enjoying the lessons that are being taught, and he looks forward to going to school. So far, we cannot be more thrilled with this elementary school.

Union Mill Elementary School 2

Posted August 19, 2015
We switched schools last year from another school within Fairfax County after a move and we are not particularly impressed with Union Mill. The school is extremely large and my children seem to be just a number to the administration. After going 2 years never having to meet with a teacher, we had 3 different meetings this past year including one with the principal and were less than impressed with the response we received to our concerns. The feedback we received was very sterile and canned with absolutely no concern for my child as an individual. I am very disappointed because we left a much smaller school where the staff truly cared about my children and I am not at all convinced the administration care at all about my children at Union Mill.

Posted April 13, 2015
This is an excellent school with high parent involvement and devoted teachers. I have a kindergartener and I used to teach at the elementary level at a different school. Due to the parent involvement the students here have so many opportunities that other schools do not offer. The curriculum is standard for Fairfax county, my son's school work is age appropriate for him. I am looking to stay in this area because of this school. It is true that there is a beautiful library and gym, including a rock wall. Too bad there isn't an art room, as most Fairfax County Public Schools have. This is the first year after a remodel.

Posted October 24, 2014
I have a 4th and a 6th grader and the Teachers have been amazing. My son started in 1st grade. The school is located inside a residential neighborhood of about 1500 homes and there is a sense of comunity accross the board. I will add since Ms Case has come on board a few of the weak teachers are no longer at the school and each year I see improvement in the school

Posted January 11, 2014
My son Just started his 3rd grade in this school .. Best teachers.. very involved.. keep parents well-informed with whatever going on in classroom.

Posted May 23, 2013
My child is completing his second year at this school. The support at UM is outstanding! The principal, vice principal, counselors and teachers (from librarian, music and PE) are all highly visible, fair, and easy to get to know. I'm very happy with the level of parental involvement. There are always great ways to either help out in the classroom or preparing materials to help the teachers out. The PTA does outstanding work for the school and administration but not living in the Little Rocky Run neighborhood which surrounds the school, makes it difficult to be accepted, very clickish, for the most part but not all. It's too bad the PTA doesn't actually encourage ALL parents to be involved. I certainly commend them on the level of work they do.

Posted October 29, 2012
Top notch school with the BEST teachers! We have been to several elementary schools due to military moves and we can say UMES is the best! Principal and vice principal are highly visible, and communicate well with students and parents. LOTS of proactive parent volunteers. Beautiful library and gymnasium. Full time Advanced Academic teacher can provide your child enrichment if he/she needs it. All around, a GREAT school! Recommend it highly!

Union Mill Elementary School 1

Posted May 24, 2012
School is VERY large and only has one part-time GT teacher. The PTA is a click of SAHM. Since Mrs Shadis left the school has gone downhill. The houses around the school are all older and close together.

Posted February 01, 2011
Union Mill Elementary is a wonderful school, located in an great neighborhood. As a parent I really love the extra-curricular opportunities the school offers, such as Mad Science. Also feel fortunate to have an excellent Principal at the school in Ms. Shadis. All in all its a great school.

Union Mill Elementary School 2

Posted May 25, 2010
I feel the same for second grader. My little student is given spelling words but never tested. The work so is so minimal, that I am forced to supplement the education with my own "work". I am hoping that third grade will be more challenging, but seeing that no new concepts were learned, I am a little afraid that it will be too challenging! Also, the testing procedures are disappointing. The students are pulled from class and "tested" for their reading assessment and for the gifted program in the POD where all the other classes are walking in and out of class. These test are used to determine third grade placement and the testing is compromised because the students don't even have a quiet testing area. It is ridiculous that they put so much emphasis on a test that is so poorly given. Very disappointing!

Union Mill Elementary School
13611 Springstone Dr, Clifton, VA  20124
Last modified Union Mill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union Mill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top