7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

We went through a very dark time in our family. We didn't know how to cope with our daughters behavior. It was BAD. She was fighting, arguing, trying drugs of all sorts, running away, breaking things in the house, putting us down every chance she could. We lived our lives every day wondering what was going to happen next and then it started being hour by hour and minute by minute.....wondering what would happen next with her. Once we decided on her going to Discovery she was there for a year. It was the hardest thing we have ever done. We saw her struggling through many emotions and fighting as hard as she could to not feel the pain of the emotions. But, eventually she did feel and accept that her behavior was wrong, for herself and the family. When my daughter finished the program she said that it saved her life. I fully believe her.

I went there for a year and a half and that's the best decision my mom made for me as a parent it literally saved my life

I hated it there. They were verbally abusive. And they work you like a mule. There were a few times I thought I was going to die. The staff are nice to parents and outsiders but vary mean to the students. Mr outland is the worst. He will make you eat potted meat and move rocks for a week straight. Until late your hands bleed!! And he will yell at you the whole time. It's a godawful place. If you want your kids to hate you forever then send them here. I ran away for 5 years after I got out of the discovery school because I was so traumatized by this experience. I wish everyday that I never went here and I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

My daughter went to the Discovery School for Girls at 17 and stayed one and a half years. Sending her away was the most difficult decision and a total leap of faith. This was our last chance to help her before she turned 18. Discovery School taught her how to become a responsible member of a group, both giving help and asking for help. She was made accountable for her behavior, both present and past. She graduated two years ago and is a Freshman in college. She is doing very well. The school helped her develope a sense of pride and confidence. She has had "slip-ups" but handles them in the open. She is aware of the type of thinking that leads to bad decisions and "trouble". Had she not attended he Discovery School, she would have been in and out of rehab, the school gave her a life and I am very grateful to have my daughter back in the family.

My brother has been at The Discovery School for 8 months now and he is already like a new person. I have watched an out of control, very angry teenage boy with ADHD grow into an intelligent, patient, caring and mature young MAN. I wish every county in the US could be granted the funding to send at least one troubled teen to The Discovery School every year!

The school has the right level of tenacity and compassion for difficult children. Our teenage son has been an extreme challenge for many, many years. He is getting the structure and feedback he needs. The school is disciplined, consistent and understanding of the toughest challenges. The therapeutic environment is far better for him than public or military schools. They understand his needs and work with him to help him build self-awareness, empathy for others and personal behavioral growth. It will be a long road, but we have hope like never before!

Rewarding. The journey continues.Our son is growing. He has had many ups! We just saw him experience a low and he is continuing to learn new lessons. He will be a success. I continue to be thankful for the founders and staff.

Was when of the most important experiences of my life. There isn't a day that goes by that I dont appreciate everything I learned from the school. Mr. Outland is one of the most amazing people to ever encounter. The knowledge he has to help the students is by far amazing as well. Would go back if I could for a vacation I enjoyed the school so much. Student T-329

The learning part of the school isnt great. Very different from normal school.. did not prepare me for college at all. They basically try to take away all of your individuality and its wrong.

I am the parent of current student at The Discovery School and I have nothing but the most positve things to say about the staff and philosophy of the program. My son is still at the beginning phase of the program but we have already seen much progress. These people know what they are doing and we look forward to seeing the continued positive changes in our son. I would highly reccomend this program if you are at your wits end as to how to help your out of control teenager.

Last modified The Discovery School Of Virginia is a Private school that serves grades 7-12