Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Henderson is tucked away in the heart of Montclair...a loving community that cares deeply about the well being of their children. My children benefited greatly by the education they received From Henderson. After graduating from Henderson, they went on to Saunders Middle School & Forest Park High School, then graduated with degrees from VA Tech & JMU. We have quite a few neighbors who's kids attend Henderson and just love it! We are so thankful for how the teachers at Henderson prepared our children to succeed!

My son attended this school for a short time...we tried to meet with the principal before the start of the school year, to ask about there programs for special need due to our suspect of ADHD with our son. Ms.Beveans the principal never answered our emails. His first day was terrible it was difficult for him to adjust. We tried to speak with the principal...and she gave us this condescending look. After his 7th day she wanted him removed without givin time for his adjustment...and he was diagnosed with adhd. She moved to furlough him...put out they made up stories om him. After we got the county involved...my son was moved to a better school. Ms.Beveans is more concentrated on scores not the well being of children with special needs...and many of there programs got discontinued. And i got serveral complaints how they treat chilldren of color with special needs...to further confirm my neighbor daughter has the same issues and they took time with her. Hate to bring in race but from the complaints from other parent bought us to this conclusion. We are currently working with CHADD on over sons right being violated...i hope this is to serve as a warning to parents with children with Special needs. Good test scores should not take presidents over a childs growth in learning...every child should have a equal and fair chance at a good education.

Develops character: Disagree

They dont treat childern with special needs fairly. And children of color. Horrible experience. Shameful

This school is probably fine for kids who are working on grade level or below, but not for higher kids. Some teachers are good at teaching students on their level, and some let the kids coast through the year because there is no incentive to teach them. They're given extra work instead of work that's on their level. Despite being way above grade level last year, my child has made absolutely no gains this year. I agree with the other poster about the drama. There are too many parent volunteers which only causes confusion in the classroom and lack of direction.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

It varies greatly by teacher. There are some teachers that go above and beyond and should be given a "very effective" score, and some who do the bare minimum.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Their student teacher and class values are in line with honesty, integrity and fairness. I'm impressed by the level of excellence this school has.

The principal and deputy principal are responsive, engaged, participatory, and excellent leaders. Mrs Rocco in the office is amazing. She knows everyone and serves with excellence. My daughter loves being at this school. We've been here three years and I have no complaints. The participation by the vibrant PTCO is outstanding. Bravo Henderson!

Absolutely love this school! We moved here 3 years ago. We were embraced immediately by the principal and the front office staff. Mrs. Rocco the front secretary is superb. Super nice, remembers everyone's name and so attentive. They took the time to place my children with the best teachers for them based on their individual needs. We have had the best teachers. My daughters attended Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade here. The school has an excellent military support community and superb teachers. The school is always striving to better themselves and is a focus school for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). I can not say enough about the community this school has. The principal and teachers are always responsive and happy to help with any concerns you may have. My son has been receiving speech therapy at Henderson since he was 3, which has been a wonderful experience. The speech therapist genuinely cares for my son and his progress and has been able to help my son achieve tremendous growth! The school has a great parent volunteer source so teachers are well supported. Love this school!

It's hard to rate the school better than a two when there is so much drama surrounding this school. Every where you turn, moms are complaining about the school's principal and the negative environment. A rating of a "9" is only the test scores and not the culture of the school. While the academics are strong at Henderson, it lacks a positive environment for both the kids and the parents.

Excellent administration and staff with caring and supportive parent base. We are a military family and have been in several different school systems, none compare to the education and support that my child has received since attending Henderson. Their dedication to the kids and their advancement in the community is outstanding and the Principal, Ms. Bevans is truly there for the kids. She takes time to know each one of them by name and make them feel special. Ms. Rocco and Ms. Peterson in the front office are AMAZING and are truly one of a kind. The parent support that you will find at this school whether it is thru PTCO involvement, classroom volunteering, or just day to day at the school is unsurpassed. It is a pleasure to be a HUSKY!

Last modified A. Henderson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.