Dumfries, VA

Posted April 28, 2014
The Principal leads with excellence, and as a result every member of the staff strives for excellence too. The school has superb administration, dedicated teachers, special programs such as STEM, and good music, art, PE and drama programs too. Each child is given a chance to reach their potential and provided with the support they need to be the best they can be. Parent involvement is very high with they have many volunteers. The school is a happy, bright, fun place and I am very honored to have my daughter attend such as a prestigious establishment.

Posted April 28, 2014
This school has moved up the ratings ever since Mrs. Bevans became Principal. She is very good, thorough, knowledgeable, dedicated and a true professional. She is always looking at ways of improving and doing better and the students and teachers follow her example. The ESOL and reading programs are superb. I could not ask for better and I look forward to many more years at this school.

Posted January 25, 2014
Excellent administration and more excellence to come. Classrooms are engaging, excellent extra-curricular offerings, high quality performing and STEM program, there something for everyone! There's a place for every student and it's an exciting place to be! The faculty and staff feel more like a family, and much emphasis is given to the student. It's a smaller PWC school, so students are given more individual attention than they would receive in a larger school. The principal and teachers are VERY communicative, with very high standards for both students and staff. The parents are very involved with activities with a large volunteer and support to school...often you will find parents, grandparents and community volunteers. The staff can often be found given back to the community with varies programs. All around excellent school!!!!

Posted September 27, 2013
My daughter has been a student at Henderson since kindergarten and she's now starting 4th grade. Her General Ed and Special Ed teachers have all been wonderful and she loves coming to school every day. Henderson has the excellent Olweus Bullying Program and she has never been bullied. SOL scores for Henderson have been outstanding and I've noticed the school's rating on this website has risen from 6 to 8 since the Principal, Mrs. Bevans, came to the school. She and the Assistant Principal, Mrs. Goddard, are super smart, friendly, innovative and strive to make Henderson the best school for all students.

Posted September 27, 2013
My child has gone to this school for 5 years, my only complaint is it's not a K-8. I don't want to say goodbye when my child goes to middle school. The support and care my child receives along with the positive learning enviroment is top notch! Thank you Henderson Elementary!

Posted September 26, 2013
We have enjoyed being a part of Henderson Elementary. Our 5th grade daughter has just blossomed. She loves school, her Teacher and friends. So we are thrilled with our choice to have her attend Henderson.

Posted April 27, 2013
this school is an excellent school my youngest sibling is going here and he loved this school and teachers i would reccomend this school to anyone the only thing i do not like about it is some kids get bullied and not many teachers help that well

Posted March 21, 2011
My son has attended Henderson for g K-3. Overall, I have been very happy w/ the school teachers & administrators. As an earlier poster from early 2011 said, there are some busy-body parents who do think they run things. If we're talking about the same PTCO leadership - they were voted out for the 10-11 school year. When I noticed my son having continued difficulty in reading, I requested a Student Evaluation. Henderson officials were prompt in scheduling, and offering suggestions. I never felt pushed aside. As it happens, my son is ADD and at no time did the administration push medication. To date, for g3, they (& the teacher - Mrs. Meyers) have been great in working with me to try different things to help my son succeed. He's had a 180 w/ the *help* of medication. I do worry w/ the loss of the new Principal mentioned below (Mrs. Rineshuttle) - the current acting Princ, could be a problem. More extracurriculars would be nice, but since I can't afford anything, it's not a sticking/selling point.

A. Henderson Elementary School 4

Posted January 30, 2011
Henderson is a great school. But it seems there are a lot of parents there who think they run the school. Class size is not the schools fault - It's the county and state government who don't put education first. If you think your child is not being challenged enough then you should take the initiative and challenge them. Your child is not the only child in that classroom.

A. Henderson Elementary School 4

Posted October 08, 2009
Faculty & Staff are friendly, right on top of things and very professional. Our children's best interest is primary. They been rated a School of Excellence numerous times and have implemented an Anti-Bullying program.

A. Henderson Elementary School
3799 Waterway Dr, Dumfries, VA  22025
Last modified A. Henderson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
A. Henderson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top