Swans Creek Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 666 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted November 6, 2013

This is a great school my daaughter went to swans creek and now my son that is in 3rd grade, They both love it and learned lots. I really like the teachers and the administrative staff I got possitive feed back and support with any concern that I had. They really care for the children.

Posted November 5, 2013

Both of my children went to this school for 6 years each, so I have 8 years of experience with this amazing school. The administration and staff are very caring, professional and responsive. The building is only 12 years old and recently went through an expansion and was updated with new technology. I absolutely love Swans Creek Elementary School.

Posted November 5, 2013

I have had 3 of my 4 children go through Swans Creek. I love this school. They are professional and caring for their students. Most of the staff choose to stay at Swans Creek for many years due to loving working there. That says a lot. They have an awesome PTA and activities for the students and the community as a whole. I highly recommend this school. The administrative staff is awesome and they really care about the kids. You will not find a better school. They have also made YPT and even the VA Governor's Award for educational excellence in the past 4 years. This is really a great school.

Posted November 5, 2013

My daughter spent 6 years at Swans Creek and I can't rave enough about this school! They are all professional from the staff in the office to all of the WONDERFUL teachers there! I thoroughly miss Swans Creek! Thank you for making the first 6 years of schooling for my daughter to be absolutely wonderful!

Posted January 22, 2013

This is a great school! My children are enjoying their classes, feel challenged and safe, and interact with a diverse population of peers. Teachers and administration are up to date on technology and encourage peer interaction. The office staff and administration is friendly and often seen encouraging and interacting with students and calling them by name. There are also many family activities throughout the year.

Posted July 17, 2011

My child has been in Swans Creek Elementary school since she was in Kindergarten. She will be going into the 3rd grade this year. The principles have been nothing short of wonderful. Everytime I go to visit, I am greeted with a smile by most of the office. I was not too impressed with my daughters 2nd grade year, teacher wise. I only met her one time and that was for back to school night. I dont feel she really went out of her way to get to know her children's parent either. That is why I only gave 4 stars. I love the fact that the children have to do extra reading and math work every month that counts for a grade. Swans Creek helped to foster my child's love of learning. She loved going to school every day there.

Posted April 5, 2011

We are a military family and we have 3 kids attending S.C. This is the 4th elementary school we have attended. I'm very impressed with the proactive teaching methods. Love that they have extra teachers that work with the homeroom teacher on math and reading, the school counseler and librarian are also active participants in the classroom. The art and music programs are really fun and they bring home great projects that belong in frames and not just on the fridge. The P.E. program teaches the kids about achieving a healthy lifetyle and getting them ready for physical tests that are required in higher grade levels. I do work with my kids on their school work and follow the teachers recommendations of extra home activities. "No child left behind" is a joint effort of parents and schools. I appreciate that they have programs to challenge the kids(they are in gifted program) even though there are different learning levels present in each class. Swans Creek supplies our kids a well rounded learning experience. When we have to move again we will all miss this school. We are having a great experience here and my kids love it. Family involvement in school life is critical,it works for us.

Posted May 17, 2010

I would not recommend anyone sending their child to this school. The staff is very rude and the principle and assistant principle should not be running any schools. They do not care about the welfare of your child education.

Posted April 14, 2010

The administration at Swan's Creek is very poor. Our child was threatened by another student and the incident involved a firearm and the school in my opinion took minimal disciplinary action. There are much better schools on the western part of the county.

Posted April 15, 2009

I have had at least one child in this school since it opened. I've never had a problem with the Principal, the administration, or the office staff. In fact the Principal has been extremely professional every time I've ever seen or interacted with him. The PTA is very active, and has lots of events and extra activities that the kids love.

Posted November 18, 2008

this is very good school but we are not satified with principal be cause he was so roud some time he did not have good smile .and good behvear

Posted November 14, 2008

I have a third grader at Swans Creek this year. I think that there is alot of responsibility for the parents to make sure your child is up to date and doesn't fall behind, and for a working parent, it is sometimes difficult to balance. Don't get me wrong, I am all for parent interaction, but sometimes it makes you wonder if your child is getting anything at school. Also I don't see too much parent/teacher interaction aside from parent conferences. Who knows, it could just pertain to my situation only. On the up side, this school's safety program is the best I have seen, most of the teachers are wonderful and the office staff is so very helpful. All in all, I am pleased with the school but there is always room for improvement.

Posted December 23, 2007

Swans Creek has some fantastic teachers! My child was in kindergarten with a new teacher last year and feel that it was the best fit for her. The administration is below average and doesnt treat people or teachers fairly. I would be very cautious when entering this school.

Posted July 15, 2007

I have 2 children at Swans Creek and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the school. My children's teachers have always been very supportive, attentive and communication has been excellent. Most teachers use weekly emails to communicate with the parents (usually a group email saying what the class has been up to and what the next week will hold). The PTA is very active and the social events that they put together are fun and successful, the kids have a great time. My children have had a couple issues with being 'bullied' a bit and the schools zero tolerance for bullying has quickly put those issues to an end. We haven't hit the older grades yet, when we do I'll resubmit a review... But I do hear that some teachers give out quite a bit of homework in the older grades. I'll let you know when we get there!

Posted May 11, 2007

Swans Creek is an exceptional school with incredible opportunities. In addition to the great academic programs, they have an in-house gifted program and a very active PTA. The PTA sponsors many events as a service to the school and the community, including a annual after-school 8-week Enrichment Program providing classes for almost 200 students. The principal and vice principal are involved, approachable and welcoming. All the teachers have high standards and help the kids achieve those standards. The entire school does everything possible to help the students maintain high achievements. Swans Creek has earned the county's School of Excellence Award for several consecutive years. I must add the custodial staff and cafeteria staff are top notch too! I would highly recommend Swans Creek as the school of choice for Prince William County. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Posted October 17, 2006

Swans Creek is a very good school. One of my kids has attended for over4 years. It can be very hard/demanding in some grades depending on the teacher. You can not ignore notes or interim reports that inform you on your childs progress or your child will be left behind. All teachers e-mail you. You Must Be Involved, it's your kid. Lots of activities-math club, enrichment classes etc. The school is very racially diverse. A great school. The office staff don't make the school.

Posted June 1, 2006

If a kid falls behind at this school beware. The teachers dont communicate effectively with the parents and if you are not in constant contact with the teacher you will not know how your child is doing until you actually receive a report card. It was like pulling teeth to have my childs teacher let me know what my kid is or not doing on a weekly basis. She felt that the child should be responsible enough to communicate what he or she was doing at school.

Posted May 12, 2006

Ihave two children going to Swans Creek. I have found the teachers are great. P.T.aA has great activities,and good envolment with parents. the office staff are rude and with the help of the principals they love to gossip. My problem lies with the principal doesn't stand at his word,stubbles on his words, and doesn't make decisions in a timely manner. I beg to differ 'no child is left behind' in this school.

Posted April 3, 2006

My children had a good education at Swans Creek. It has a gifted program, full day kinder. Music program is very active, with choir option for 4th graders and up and band for 5th. Good art program also. Very active PTA providing extra curricular activities and many social events.

Posted May 12, 2005

I think that Swans Creek offers a lot to it's students. It offers START and SYGNET programs. It has an after school Enrichement program offering classes taught by parent volunteers. There is an annual parent teacher softball game. They offer counseling groups. The older kids get to help the younger by being reading buddies. My son loves the school. Parent involvement could be better. It is usually the same parents at all the events.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

104 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students69%

Not economically disadvantaged91%
Students without disabilities84%
Limited English proficient students76%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students64%

Students with disabilities45%
Students without disabilities86%
Limited English proficient students67%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

17700 Wayside Dr