Dumfries, VA
Students enrolled: 1,108

Posted September 16, 2014
I have not had a good experience with this school. I have reached out to the school a few times on a simple request, yet no one has contacted me back. Overall, poor communication...

Posted March 18, 2014
To have the student who is in high school now right about this middle school shows you how much I loathe Potomac middle school. I went before the "change of command". Bullying was always present and there were gangs. The students heavily prejudiced and was absolutely ridiculous at the rate they had handout conduct referrals. These kids just didn't know how to act. Principal seem absolutely nonchalant about the school and the concerns of the students and parents. I hated this school. I do not recommend.

Potomac Middle School 2

Posted May 23, 2013
Showing signs of little improvement since the first principal. My son went to this school and now my daughter. It was a new school when my son was there. Students were misbehaved back then...fights and drugs. Bullying was also present back then. Staff were rude and unfriendly. Discrimination was a big thing in this school starting from the former principal all the way to the students. Now, that there's a new principal and obviously my 2nd kid to go this school, I've seen a tiny improvement. It is better than none at all. Staff are friendlier and helpful. But, I believe they are under-staffed right now....no permanent nurse present. Some of the Kids are still unruly. Fights & drugs are still present. Teachers are okay, though. They always challenge their students academically. Something I like in this school. As for the new principal, she's more into looks and clothing. How the students dress up. Go figure.

Posted April 05, 2013
This school has taken a nosedive since the "change of command" in administration. The teachers are not supported, the students are running the school, and a staff member told me there had been 24 fights already this year. I emailed the principal about a concern I had with my son's teacher and I was never responded to. When I called the school, the secretary put me through to the wrong teacher. I wish where I lived was in different boundaries. The teachers are the only bright spot in this school; each one I have encountered is amazing and goes over and beyond for every child, but they have way too many unnecessary things on their plate. I don't know how my child will get through the rest of this school year - and it's April!

Potomac Middle School 2

Posted March 16, 2013
I just moved to Potomac Middle School from Irving Middle School about a month ago and I hate it. Some students and the teachers are nice but there is too much drama, drugs and other things involved. I have a very hard time fitting in and have been getting bad grades and I seem to miss a lot of school since I don't like it. I love the teachers but I don't like the school in general. I wish I could move back to WIMS!

Posted August 25, 2012
My son just completed his first year @ this school. considering we had just moved here from across the U.S. and he was starting 6th gr. he had a hard time adjusting, however during a quick conversation in the beginning by a chance encounter w/one of the asst. principals (Mr. King) I was put @ ease. He offered to help keep and eye out on my son, but withing a month he had adjusted and all was well. He had 10 teachers during the school year and all but one was excellent. The principal @ the time (Dr. Stephens) was great. She nipped any problems in the bud, very strict, but I never heard of any fights or bullying. Not to say that there were no incidents of kids trying to start "gangs" or hanging out in the restrooms trying to make it their hangout, but she stopped that nonsence quickly! I hope the new principal (Turner) can follow in her footsteps! The staff here is great, the teachers are tough though, they expect the students to start acting like young adults...with brains, which I am all for, though before I got to know them it was intimidating for both him & myself! Sometimes I felt the school was too strict but I prefer that than to be worried about my sons safety @ school!

Potomac Middle School 3

Posted June 19, 2012
Principal Alfie Turner has been "promoted" to be your Principal next year at Potomac Middle. Watch out. Parents should look at the reviews for Coles Elementary, Principal Turner's former school, in order to prepare themselves. She gruffly reprimanded me IN FRONT OF MY CHILD on one of the first days school during the 2011-2012 year because I didn't understand the procedure for picking up my kindergarten child. Another teacher told me she has a reputation for being very harsh and making teachers cry. Heads up Potomac Middle.

Posted June 08, 2012
As a teacher in this school, I can say that I have never taught in a better place. The staff is incredible and well-versed in their content areas, as well as the middle school child as a whole. The administration is incredible and supports the teachers any way they can, especially with discipline. Without the admin team, the students would be a completely different ballgame. I can say I am proud to be part of the staff where teachers, parents, and students work together as one.

Posted September 18, 2011
This school is so amazing I'm a six grade student here at potomac middle school and I love it the teachers are nice,and i love all the clubs and activities.....

Posted May 05, 2010
I believe, that Potomac Middle School is a great and safe school where young children learn. I believe that it is so amazing with all the clubs and activities the students are involved in and still get high test scores.

Potomac Middle School
3130 Panther Pride Drive, Dumfries, VA  22026
Last modified Potomac Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Potomac Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top