9-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

In response to the parent who posted on November 8, let the record show we love our military service families and our veterans! In fact, we began announcing the schedule change on March 4 of the previous year ( JP Weekly Update), and when Veteran's Day came around, we had special intentions at Mass, followed by a student-led assembly in tribute to our veterans. We also have a club on campus dedicated to supporting our military, and just last week more than 280 Christmas cards were signed by students during their lunch periods for delivery this coming weekend to a veteran's retirement home! Oh, and a group was at Arlington National Cemetery on Saturday morning to lay Christmas wreaths on tombs. - Of course, regardless of all we do here, we support family decisions and realize some may wish to celebrate together off-campus. These type of excused absences are completely supported by teachers and the administration. Our thanks to your family for being among those who have served and sacrificed for our country!
December 14, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted April 15, 2016
really bad in math and science. Other subjects are wonderful, and my child who wanted to be a math major now wants to be a language major.

Posted December 14, 2015
- a school leader

Saint John Paul the Great Catholic High School 3

Posted November 08, 2015
John Paul is such a good school. Great teachers and staff work so hard to make sure the kids are happy and succeed. My children LOVE it here. What I don't like, however, is that JP no longer observes Veterans Day. I realize that many public school systems don't celebrate it either but there are many problems I have with this decision. My husband served in Afghanistan for a year. I had to pray so hard that he would come home safely and that everything would be OK. I had to rearrange my schedule so that I could drive my kids to and from school and practices while he was gone. I had to reassure the kedus that Dad would be alright. We wrote letters to him almost every day and Skyped every so often. Last year, they held an assembly on the Friday before Memorial Day reminding us what it is really about. I find it ironic that they do that and then take away Veterans Day. And to cap it off they did not even tell us until I looked at my child's 3-week calendar for one of his classes. We planned a family outing for that day. After learning that we are robbed of this privilege, we planned on skipping and going on our outing. How convenient that my child has THREE tests on that one day we should've had off. I realize that it was announced towards the end of the year that they were going to rob us of Veterans Day but it wasn't made clear that they were really going to follow through with that. We carpool with another family who has a freshman and a another family with a junior and they were not aware of the calendar confusion. I would've thought that they would send a reminder email to parents EARLIER in the year, especilally for new families. . Thank, John Paul for honoring my husband and all other military families. And this, everyone is the thank you we receive for my husband's service. It's sad, really to think about unpatriotic this country is now.

Posted October 26, 2015
My son is a freshman this year, my daughter just transferred as a junior from the local public school. While I understand that no place is perfect, thus far my wife and I have been very pleased with the school. The teachers are always willing to help and tutoring (peer tutoring as well) is readily available if you need it. The football and cheer coaches (the only coaches I encountered thusly) understand that school comes first, and go out of their way communicate this to the kids. The administrators, including the school's priest, have been immediately supportive when I've had a question or issue. My kids have a lot of homework, but it's been manageable so far. I would recommend this school without reservation, particularly to any family (whether Catholic or not) that values a traditional Catholic education. Do I think I'll some issues over the next four years? Of course, that's just life, but from what I've seen so far, it's a great school.

Saint John Paul the Great Catholic High School 2

Posted October 10, 2015
The atmosphere at JP is amazing. It is such a pretty school. My favorite part about it is the chapel which is located in the center of the school. However, good looks don't make a school great. My children have some great friends and teachers there. I truly believe they have learned a lot, but other people need to know the real truth. First of all the bioethics program is really kind of interesting, except the grades your kid will receive. Unless your answer is WORD FOR WORD based on what Sr. Terese says it is FLAT OUT WRONG. The course load and the amount of homework is atrocious. Yes, it is a true college-prep school, unlike public schools, but it is incredible to see how much my kids have to do (even in academic level courses!). But the real thing I do not like about this school year so far is that the teachers don't put in any grades! I'm not kidding. My children have done countless homework assignments, papers, and tests, and only about 1/3 of them have been posted on PowerSchool. It's truly amazing really. You would think teachers would want to get all these papers out of their lives. If it's too much to grade, then don't assign it. All in all, JP is a very pretty, neat, clean, and safe school. The academics are good, despite the amount of excess homework. Most teachers are professional and qualified. I know that my kids will be ready for college (that is if we can all make it out with our sanity). But before anyone else enrolls here, take one more hard look at the other Catholic schools.

Posted September 11, 2015
John Paul is simply amazing! The school faculty truly cares about the students and their development in all areas. Academics are second to none. There are vast opportunities to excel in academics, drama, sports, music, etc. Each year they add more and it just gets better and better. The preparation my children have received at JP will serve them well in their endeavors at college and in life. Judging by the number of families who travel long distances to have their children attend JP there must be something good going on behind those doors. I feel very blessed as a parent knowing my children are in good hands there.

Posted April 02, 2015
I can't think of a better place to attend high school. I have been a part of the school community as a parent since the second year after the school opened. The faculty at the school is involved, caring and willing to help students as needed. Many staff members have moved to Virginia specifically to work at this school because of the school's reputation and ideals. The principal is a strong manager who listens to parents as appropriate but is sensible enough to make the best decisions for the entire school. School administrators have always been available to listen to and address my concerns. The curriculum is exactly what my family was seeking - strong college prep school where the true Catholic faith is a part of each class, every day. My first child to graduate was accepted at all three Virginia colleges to which she applied, with scholarship offers. My second child is graduating this year - he has been accepted to a military service academy, UVA and several other top colleges, most with offers of scholarships. My youngest child will be entering JPHS this fall - I look forward to the opportunity to be part of the school community for another four years.

Posted April 02, 2015
John Paul the Great has provided the perfect high school experience for our children. It provides a true college preporatory program to ensure its graduates have the tools to succeed at the university level. More importantly, it provides a culture where students are encouraged to grow in their faith and to understand right from wrong. Like any school, your child will get out of the school what they put into it. John Paul the Great has many athletic and extracurricular activities that have extremely high participation rates which fosters amazing school spirit. The universities that this year's seniors have been admitted to is incredible: multiple acceptances to military service academies, Princeton, UVA (over 8% of the class has been accepted there), William & Mary, Virginia Tech and many more. If you want a school that will prepare your child for college as well as give them the spiritual tools needed as they enter adulthood, then John Paul the Great should be at the top of your list.

Saint John Paul the Great Catholic High School 1

Posted April 01, 2015
This school is such a joke! My children are almost being killed with the amount of stress and homework that is assigned just before the quarter ends. I know this is high school and that no one can really do anything about it, but come on! My children are almost ready to go insane! My favorite thing about these teachers is that they assign all of the major tests durning the last week of the quarter so that when the quarter closes and the kids get their grades and are dissatisfied with them the teacher says: "Sorry. There isn't anything I can do." This school is a real joke. The other Catholic high schools in the area have graduating classes with better or the same SAT scores and more military appointments and Ivy League school acceptances. I would strongly recommend going to another school.

Posted March 18, 2015
if you are looking for a cheerful, energetic, and safe environment for your teens to develop into adults with integrity who possess the emotional and academic intelligence to make the world a better place, then send them the St John Paul the Great. Two of our three children have thrived there. One is excelling in college because of JP the Great, the other is about to graduate and has been awarded a big scholarship for university. Can't wait to send the youngest next year. The demanding academic and moral foundation available to families at St John Paul the Great makes this not just the best school in the area but the nation!

17700 Dominican Dr, Dumfries, VA  22026
Last modified Saint John Paul the Great Catholic High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12