Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I have had two children in St leo's and I feel it was a total waste of money. The education is sub-par where homework is piled on and no teaching done. I find it very interesting that the response from the school when your child falls behind their first response is for you to get a tutor. Even the public school teachers will spend at least two days a week helping their students. They love homework but most of it is busy work and has nothing to do with what should be taught. And God help you if it is not done. The administration only give lip service to the parents and only want your money. I have never been talked down as much as at St leo's by both the teachers and staff. Don't waste your money.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Most of the faculty cannot handle the class load of 32-34 students. They spend most of their time either ignoring the class they are supposed to teach, or screaming the entire team. This school loses half of its staff at the end of each year. They rely on homework to teach for them.

Amount of homework: Disagree

They pile it on, night after night. Regardless if there are tests, or projects- just hours of homework. God forbid you miss an assignment, you get a detention and after 2 of those you get to sit out of the quarterly party. So your child gets to sit in a silent room doing junk busy work while the other students walk around partying.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school states it is anti-bullying, but it does not follow that value. Many parents will tell you the reason their child left is because of bullying from both the teachers and the students.

There is a lot going on at this school- I would stay away. If your child is coming in after kindergarten, GOOD LUCK. The students are cliquish, the parents are clannish, the administration is ill informed and incompetent. Your child will not be a welcome addition to the school, but your money will be. Any issues at the school are generally glossed over, my child has reported physical bullying, verbal bullying, emotional distress, and yet administration cares more about the $$$ than the students. None of the teachers are competent, it's like they could not get into their chosen field so they decided to teach, if your child has any struggles, you will never hear about it from their teacher. Teacher's in middle school have little to no control over the classroom so they resort to screaming during the entire period. The school boasts a blue ribbon, but with high attrition rates from their faculty, and the small mentality and homogeneous personality of their student base, it's better to move or find an independent private school. They don't teach the values they preach. We have been at this school for years, and each year has gotten progressively worse, and every year I sit back and wonder what exactly it is that I'm paying for. Not worth it, the education there is more high stress and high volume than actual learning.

This is a great school. Yes it is tough and the dress code is strict but would you rather have your kids get a good education and associate with other good families or have them looking like punks and behaving like criminals? Take a look around Fairfax high and the choice is obvious. St Leo is well worth the 5k per year that we pay.

The teachers were nice and tried, but first graders should not be expected to do an hour of homework a night. Multiple studies have proven no benefit to homework at that age and yet, St. Leo's piles it on. Apparently in second and third it can be 2-3 hours a night. I pulled my daughter before we experienced that. I found it frustrating that the teacher could not give me a course objective for assignments and that she received more challenging books to read in kindergarten than first grade. They have lots of technical extras like Smart Boards, but I'd rather some old fashioned teaching with set objectives. I definitely didn't feel I was getting $5k better of an education than public which is why we moved to public. My husband and I were both products of Diocesan schools and taught in them as well, so we were disappointed with St. Leo's.

My kids were in Daniel's run Elementary school, I had to move them because one of my son had a lot of troubles, yes St Leo ipis very strict and there are more rules than other school, my kids are doing great the teachers are so professional and the most important think Religion is the best, I'm very happy that they've been educating by good teachers, they are safe, professionalism I give them 10 stars ;) God Bless you guys

This is a great school my kids are happy, teachers are always there with the answers for all the questions they are great ;)

The middle school teachers at this school are extremely biased, they favor The girls over boys, the front office staff are just blatantly rude when they found out I was transferring out of this school, the vice principal kept questioning us about why we were transferring. The students there were great, However there was alot of hatred and discontent towards many teachers though. There are barely any students, about 400. For pre-K through 8th grade.

Last modified St. Leo the Great School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8