Posted June 05, 2015
Our children have attended Merritt Academy for two years both in preschool and elementary. It's been a wonderful experience for each of them! The teachers are caring, the curriculum is challenging and the administration supportive. There is always plenty of activities and initiatives going on: field trips, visit to an elderly home, volunteering, etc. The PTO is also very good, they go out of their way to fund new classroom equipment or teacher training. We have to leave FFX due to a professional relocalisation and we will deeply miss the school.

Posted May 17, 2015
The exsperience ever! We love so much Merritt Academy and all teachers team, we will miss so much this scool. Thank you so much Merrit

Posted May 16, 2015
Theachers are dedicated, well educated, responsive to parents questions. Our daughter felt happy and welcomed from the first day. Merritt provides an exceptional education

Posted May 14, 2015
Merritt is always evolving and stay ahead of the curve in their curriculum. Kindergarten-6th: They stand out from other private schools because of the amount exposure they give to children through their STEM initiative, community awareness (through senior home visits and a plethora of field trip opportunity [at least 5-6 per year]), special celebrations throughout the year that support their academics called Hallmarks. Preschool: Is the very well run and organized. Although the previous Director left, the new Directors are supportive and ready to help families. The teachers appear happy and content with their jobs. The program is so focused on the children's best interest. My children never want to leave! It has been a great experience. I would recommend this school to any family. It is a place where children can grow up in through middle school years.

Posted May 12, 2015
Hello- I wanted to briefly address some of the concerns raised in the March 31, 2015 review. Regarding the qualifications of our staff, Merritt Academy strictly meets or exceeds state regulations for preschool teachers, and every member of our elementary/middle school faculty holds a BA, with many holding a MA degree as well. Our average class size in our K-6 classrooms is 13 students, which is well below FCPS's reported average class sizes for 2014-15 of between 21.8 and 23.1. Our preschool classes are staffed at or below the required student to teacher ratios for the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS). Our Administrators, including our Executive Director, Preschool Co-Directors and School Principal all maintain an open-door policy, where we seek to address parent questions, comments or concerns in a timely and complete manner, and to partner with parents in seeking resolution. We welcome the opportunity to answer any questions you may have and look forward to sharing our school with you and your family. Sincerely, Amy Pernick Director of Admissions amyp@merrittacademy.org
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 31, 2015
If you are looking for poor administration, high turnover, unqualified teachers, this is it. Good teachers are gone. Period. Classroom are getting bigger due to mid year enrollments. If the class size is same as public school, what's the point??

Posted September 29, 2014
As a new Merritt Academy family, the teachers and administrators have gone above and beyond to help me and my child feel comfortable and welcomed from the day we registered. Each morning when I drop him off, I feel completely secure in knowing that he will be well cared for, and engaged in fun, stimulating activities far beyond what I am able to offer at home. I also appreciate the detailed communications and photos that his classroom teacher posts, which help me stay "in the loop." One of the things I most appreciate about the school is the sense of community that is fostered here- everyone already knows my child and says "hi" when I walk him onto campus every morning, he has already bonded with his teachers and the administrators were accessible and helpful when I had a question. I am so grateful to have found a school that feels like home, and I look forward to a great year, and hopefully many more!
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 13, 2014
We saw tremendous racial bias against minority students and that's not something we expected from a elementary school. Disturbingly, 99% of the teachers (and principal) pay more attention to Caucasian students and even favoritism in the classroom and stage performances. If you are a minority and do not planning to speak up (if you do, they don't like it, and will avoid you in the hall way), you don't belong here. Find a school in somewhere, where you will be treated fairly. We needed to pull out our son and put in another school. Now, he is very happy and treated same as everybody else. By the way, Executive Director is full of herself.
7 people found this helpful

Posted October 30, 2013
Our granddaughter has attended Merritt for two years although she is only five years old she is in the first grade Merritt offers a challenging curriculum and a gifted program that they tailor to fit the students needs and capabilities Their teachers are dedicated ,well educated and responsive to parents and even grandparents inquires and concerns. Merritt offers numerous clubs and activities such as chess, music ,dance ,foreign language,art and basketball to name only a few . In short Merritt provides a exceptional education .

Posted September 23, 2013
BIG MISTAKE!!! I am very disappointed with the parking arrangement. They should do something to improve this area. All parents need to go to work after dropping off their children. Parking should be easy for them. I am not sure if I want to continue here. I can't be late for work everyday.
4 people found this helpful