Fairfax, VA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 29, 2014
As a new Merritt Academy family, the teachers and administrators have gone above and beyond to help me and my child feel comfortable and welcomed from the day we registered. Each morning when I drop him off, I feel completely secure in knowing that he will be well cared for, and engaged in fun, stimulating activities far beyond what I am able to offer at home. I also appreciate the detailed communications and photos that his classroom teacher posts, which help me stay "in the loop." One of the things I most appreciate about the school is the sense of community that is fostered here- everyone already knows my child and says "hi" when I walk him onto campus every morning, he has already bonded with his teachers and the administrators were accessible and helpful when I had a question. I am so grateful to have found a school that feels like home, and I look forward to a great year, and hopefully many more!

Posted September 13, 2014
We saw tremendous racial bias against minority students and that's not something we expected from a elementary school. Disturbingly, 99% of the teachers (and principal) pay more attention to Caucasian students and even favoritism in the classroom and stage performances. If you are a minority and do not planning to speak up (if you do, they don't like it, and will avoid you in the hall way), you don't belong here. Find a school in somewhere, where you will be treated fairly. We needed to pull out our son and put in another school. Now, he is very happy and treated same as everybody else. By the way, Executive Director is full of herself.

Posted October 30, 2013
Our granddaughter has attended Merritt for two years although she is only five years old she is in the first grade Merritt offers a challenging curriculum and a gifted program that they tailor to fit the students needs and capabilities Their teachers are dedicated ,well educated and responsive to parents and even grandparents inquires and concerns. Merritt offers numerous clubs and activities such as chess, music ,dance ,foreign language,art and basketball to name only a few . In short Merritt provides a exceptional education .

Posted September 23, 2013
BIG MISTAKE!!! I am very disappointed with the parking arrangement. They should do something to improve this area. All parents need to go to work after dropping off their children. Parking should be easy for them. I am not sure if I want to continue here. I can't be late for work everyday.

Posted September 23, 2013
PARKING is the worst thing I am dealing with here. I am a new parent to this school and I did not know parking is that hectic. If I knew it before, I would not enroll my child for sure. They said "quick pick-up", but not that quick. Cars are line up and taking forever. Quick-drop-off?? Funny thing. If you are early (08:25??) they direct the child to go to playground which is up on the hill and need to take stairs. They are not allowed to go to classroom until 8:30. Children are on their own to go to play ground or go to the classroom by themselves. Not personally accompanied by a teacher. Young kids should be accompanied by someone. My daughter is not familiar with school campus and doesn't know how to enter the code to open the doors. I need to park illegally on the street and walk (about one block) my DD to classroom to make sure she is safe. I can't imagine in winter time walking one block and leave my child at playground (she hates cold and easily get sick). I wish they allow children to stay in the classroom if they do not want to go to playground.

Posted August 06, 2013
As the parent of two boys who happily attended the summer program Merritt had to offer, I would like to share my experience as well. With a clear understanding that kids will always be kids, accidents happen even to the best of us, and even I can t defend my boys from all the scratches and bruises childhood has to offer, this school did the best they could and even went the extra mile to make sure I took my kids home not only in the same condition they were dropped off every morning, but also very happy and with stories to share for hours afterwards. The staff is not only professional, but is very well selected and just like the activities they are matched with the right age groups. Compared to the other reviewer, I am very happy my children are kept with children the same age; I truly don t want my kids playing, watching and learning from older kids. I could not afford Merritt regularly, but summer camp is a true saver: from the great hours of operation, to the entertaining program, to the amazing activities and projects they work on every day, not to mention the insanely attractive trips they take twice a week, I even consider myself a very happy camper at the end of each day.

Merritt Academy 3

Posted July 28, 2013
Overall Merritt Academy is an above-average day-care/preschool. Its students are mostly good-mannered and well-taught. Parents are generally well educated. However, during the four years when my kid was there, its quality has significantly dropped, primarily because of its relentless expansion in the last 4 years or so. For each grade, the number of classes more than doubled during the period. Experienced teachers are stretched and many temp/inexperienced teachers have been hired, with high teacher turnover rates. Many new students join the school every year even in the middle or the end of a school year, and so classes become more heterogeneous in terms of academic and social preparedness. Student fighting and injuries have escalated, teasing have become frequent, and my kid learned racial slurs from school. Nevertheless, the school is better than average academically and in terms of the variety of activities offered.

Posted July 24, 2013
My child attended the infant room. We have not been happy with our experience either. A bunch of us parents got together and complained to the director. She did not do anything. The management seems very weak here. We are looking at other day cares too, Winwood is one of them. Their director has since stepped down..

Posted July 24, 2013
Just a word of caution to parents. Most of these great reviews seem to have insider language and sound pretty much the same. Perhaps they are too good to be true? Please Be cautious with this institution ....in addition to poor administration, Bad teacher quality, this academy will also rip you off. I agree with the previous 2 posts....look elsewhere for your child's education.

Posted July 23, 2013
Hello In response to your posting of July 15, 2013 ... are you sure it wasn't you who was the main issue? The rest of the reviews on here seem to be quite high - there had to be something more to the issue and it was probably you, in need of a nanny or to stay home with your own child ... only a suggestion. My experience has been highly positive. My children love to come to school and the teachers have been incredibly involved and informative! It has been a pleasure having my kids here, at Merritt. I am a parent of a toddler and k4 student. Maybe our kids were in the same room. Would love to hear the negativity, in which you have endured.

Merritt Academy