Fairfax, VA

Posted May 16, 2015
I have 2 kids at the school. We are a military family, moved here 2.5 years ago and now... We never want to leave. Since the moment we got here we have had nothing but great teacher/staff experiences. I have a 2nd grader and an Preschooler on the spectrum with an IEP. The IEP team (school staff) really has gotten to know our son, it's great to see that someone else other than his parents can see all his positives aside from what he needs help with. My older child in second grade has had wonderful dedicated teachers both years. I have to say, she was bullied once on the school bus, she stood up for herself and has never been bothered again. I suggest you experience the school for yourselves, everyone has a different experience. I have had great experiences and I hope any future Parents at GBE do to.

Posted May 12, 2015
Our problems started very first week with our children being spitted at their faces in the bus and did not end till now. Just yesterday my son was pinched and bullied by another child. We also have witnessed staff bullying kids many times as well. Our kids grown to be angry and stressed out as a result of the mistreatment in GBE.We sort of dismissed negative reviews prior to moving to the area, thinking they were isolated incidents but that was a big mistake on our part; the bullying culture in this school will not change for a long time since the principal herself refuses to acknowledge the problem. We have no choice but to move out since the transfer option is almost impossible. Our children made comments like adults are too angry and they always yell... Both of our kids are wonderful, bright and kind-hearted; everyday they cry not to go to school and their grades gradually went down. It breaks my heart to see them this way.Please think twice before you move in to the boundaries of GBE. If your child is trying to tell you what's going on, please listen and don't take it lightly and keep in mind that it's only a fraction of what's been going on. Good luck.

Posted March 18, 2015
Worst decision as a parent. Sadly, all the negative comments are true. Key points for parents: Principal is very caring and responsive. Unfortunately, despite good intentions, she has failed to change the TOXIC culture. Two Assistant Principals (bad cops) reinforce a FEAR-driven culture. Admin staff is infamous as grumpy and unpleasant. This says a lot. Maybe not fair, but they really do seem to hate their jobs, and, what's worse, they seem to dislike kids. A smile costs extra. The "counselors" are no better. Serve as a resource to help with peer conflict? "Huh, what s that? Your child is the problem." They use a violation system called "Think Sheets". It's like some bad dystopian movie with enslaved kids. Bottom line, go elsewhere. GBE has an inferiority complex with GBW. Maybe there they will treat your kids as they deserve: curious young minds that need creative engagement, positive feedback, and, dare I say, someone to believe in them.

Posted October 21, 2014
My children have attended GBE for three years, and I have been generally happy with their education there. There are a few bad apples, but that doesn't seem to spoil the bunch. I don't get the bad reviews about the principal. I've found her to be caring, honest, and available (except for a health crisis that couldn't be helped). We try to attend events put on by the school, such as the fall festival and Veteran's Day concert, dances, bingo night, etc., and it always seems like lots of people are there. It does seem like the same group of volunteers each time, but that could be because the neighborhood and parent teacher organization are very cliquish. I can't attend the 9:30 a.m. meetings because I work in DC and can't take time off during the day to go. Several of the teachers we have had don't use Blackboard, which I think is very frustrating, especially when my children aren't very forthcoming about upcoming tests/work/etc.

Greenbriar East Elementary School 2

Posted September 26, 2014
There some good teachers but there are some really bad teachers in certain programs at this school. I was very happy to remove my child out of this school. My child has made much progress after changing schools. However, I believe the communicate from former teacher has not helped at her new school. Bullying was a major problem.

Posted August 28, 2014
My son and I love GBE. He is now in the 5th grade and has been in this school since K. He has always had the nicest sweetest teachers anyone could ask for. The staff and teachers are extremely helpful and very responsive to emails or even when you visit on site. The counselor has always been very supportive when I needed guidance with my son in his learning and behavior and as a single mom (who still struggles on how to do things right for my son) I needed direction on how I should proceed. The music teacher was and is wonderful and very helpful when we needed guidance on renting instruments. They provide many diverse activities for the kids to keep them engaged and are very focused on everyone being respectful. I wish they taught a foreign language like Spanish would be all I could say that is missing. The school itself is beautiful, recently renovated, bright, clean, and provides and overall happy environment. I am not sure about the other 2 negative reviews on this site but if you ask for help in a friendly and nice way you get the help you need from the staff. They have always been extremely friendly, kind and helpful.

Posted June 03, 2014
While the community has a great location and Greenbriar has many friendly neighbors the staff especially the nurse who doesn't show any concern..actually the whole administrative staff acts like they hate their job, that your problem is not important and they have the "I could care less attitude." I'm not the only one who feels this way. Be aware before you call because they make you feel like you are bothering them! The nurse says she's not even a registered nurse! Basically you have to be the nurse of your own child and when your kid falls and gets hurt they don't even notify you. Counselors are not even helpful unless it's an issue in the school. So make sure you have your own doctors, nurses, and counselors OUT of this school because this school could care less!

Posted January 19, 2014
School is dull, teachers are never predictable. having moved from CT where my two kids went to the greatest school ever "french town", it has been a terrible experience and a horrible downgrade that I will regret for the rest of my life. As one of the reviews mentioned, I can't imagine how they treat my children when I'm not there, and my fingers are crossed that we can move soon and away from this bad experience. BTW. we are seriously moving just to move our kids from this school.

Posted October 18, 2013
Education- its not bad but my son is bored because he has remembered the last half of last years teachings. (Being the first half of the year is a repeat of the last half of last years.) Kids/staff- Bullying is a major issue. Staff does nothing.. kids make fun of other kids names/ethnicities on a daily basis, the "bus patrol" that is older kids supposed to ensure the safety and well being of the other kids is a power trip for these "patrols", making fun of the younger kids and forcing the small kids to say swear words or calling them names. My son tells me stories everyday how someone has been threatened to get beat up (he was threatened yesterday by a 5th grader who has been bullying him since the first day of school, go figure its mid October and yet to this day an adult has yet to do a thing!) To sum it up, disgusted. This is bully heaven.

Posted August 26, 2013
We've been at GBE for 3 years and I love it! My youngest son has been lucky enough to get great teacher's every year. My oldest son only went one year there, but also got a great teacher. I do a lot of volunteer work at the school and have gotten to know most of the teacher's and staff. They always ask about my oldest son, sincerely wanting to know how he's doing. Mrs. Cohen is a very dedicated principal. If you drive by GBE at night, after everyone else has gone home, you will see she is still there. She always is at the dances and bingo nights along with several of the teacher's. We also had teacher's participate in the Family Fun Run. Coming from a school in CA where it was all about "what can you do for my school" to "what can I do for your child", this is really just amazing! There needs to be more parent involvement though, you always see the same parents every time signing up to help out and then other parents complaining about it.

Greenbriar East Elementary School
13006 Point Pleasant Dr, Fairfax, VA  22033
Last modified Greenbriar East Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Greenbriar East Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top