Bad
Good

My son attended kindergarten through 6th grade. Great teachers every year and we felt his needs were met at all the different stages of his development.

There has been a ton of turnover in the administration (and the staff as a whole) in this building and you can tell there is tension between some of the staff. Quite a few of them are downright unprofessional. Unfortunately, many of the competent teachers seem to be the ones that leave. I have had 2 children go through this school and just feel like it could be so much more than it is. I'm hoping the new administration can get things turned around. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!

We area military family who just moved to the area at the start of the school year. I miss SO many things about the past place we lived, but definitely not the schools! FCPS are great overall and LRES is definitely one of the finer ones. My children's transition to their new school could not have been easier. They are so happy! My only complaint about the school is the larger class size (usually between 26 and 31), but that is not an issue unique to LRES. Fortunately there is tons of support staff within LRES and I believe they are addressing the issue as much as their budget allows. Hoping the county addresses class size in the near future.

My daughter went to this school and was in the Spanish immersion program. Every one of her teachers was great except for a certain 4th grade math teacher who was absolutely horrible. She had no patience for students who didn't quite get what she was teaching. She was very unorganized and the material on her review quizzes were taken from the air without telling the children what to study. She was not a nice person at all.

I have two kids going to LRES. One is in spanish-immersion and the program is good although some teachers are better than others. My other child has had some learning issues. We have had two teachers there that were terrible yet the administration and counselor supported their colleagues rather than the student. One of the vice-principals was a good advocate but there has been a lot of turnover in the principal position. They spend a lot of time focusing on teaching to the SOL tests. The parent-teacher activities at the school are very good.

We are military and moved to the area three years ago. Our two kids LOVED Laurel Ridge, and we have been thrilled with the quality of the education there. There are lots of enrichment activities offered, and the teachers really seem to care

I love LRES. Teachers are great. Principal is super great. School is clean. I pulled my kids out of private school 4 years ago and joined LRES. They love their school. Nothing to complain! Thanks.

I am a long time Laurel Ridge parent. All 4 of my children went were there for K-6. I think this website is a great way to take cheap shots at teachers and administrators at any school not just LR. My experience at LR from the admin, front office, teachers, counselors etc. has been nothing but positive. It's too bad for adminstrators and teachers that there is not a website called "Great Parents.Org" so they could anonymously post their personal experiences working with parents. THAT would be interesting reading!!

I don t like LRES s approach to reading and writing. Phonics takes a back seat to site words, which are memorized after school on flash cards the school sends home. There is no gradual modeling of good writing; instead, children are very soon (early in K) encouraged to write entire paragraphs that are rarely corrected. My child brought home reems of written gibberish, and by year s end she had certain spellings engrained in her mind as correct because that s how she always spelled those words, and no one told her otherwise. Consequences for misbehavior seemed inconsistent, and self-esteem seemed to be encouraged above self-discipline (such that my child actually seemed less willing to accept correction than before entering LRES). She was bullied and spit on by an older child, and I was not informed by a school official (I learned it from her). Her teacher was enthusiastic, parental involvement seems welcome.

Our six years at LRE with 2 children, 3 years apart, have been overall very good. We have had good experiences with all but one teacher, who is no longer teaching there. Of the two counselors, one is far better than the other & one learns this quickly from experience. The few times that we have had a concern that was better addressed by staff other than teachers or counselors, we have found one of the assistant principals to be very prompt, receptive and helpful. The front office seemed to have made more of an effort this past year in making people feel welcome. However, there is always room for improvement. Parents are very involved as volunteers, particularly during K - 3rd grades. In closing, parents who have children at LRE and another elementary school at the same time, always tell me that LRE is much better.

Last modified Laurel Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.