Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Agree

This year the school is not requiring homework. This is much better for my son who would often do it right before school the next morning.

It depends strongly on the particular teacher you child gets st this school. My daughter, who was in 6th grade last year, had an amazing teacher and case manager. My son's teacher was great but his case manager was uncommunicative and lacking in other areas. The staff is very friendly and helpful but the curriculum is not challenging for my son. He tends to be very bored. Also, the bullying that goes on is not addressed.

We moved here 6 years ago from another FCPS elementary school boundary and three of my children graduated from Bonnie Brae. They were well prepared for Robinson and in fact the last two who did most of their education through Bonnie Brae are in Honor classes at Robinson. I can't speak more highly of the school!

Develops character: Neutral

Since there is no communication I have no idea how this school implements integrity and fairness.

I totally agree with the late reviews. This school is far from what I expect in the neighborhood where we pay $5000 and well above taxes. We were waiting for two months to get a permanent teacher. So the kids fell behind the schedule. We are pressed every year to sign up to SIS system, which has no information what so ever (as a post to other schools where you can see the grades/test scores etc.). There is only one PT conference at the beginning of the school year. When I requested one, never heard back. I was never notified that my daughter was moved out from ESL program because she was tested and supposedly jumped 3 levels so no need for further enrichment. From the above, you can see there is lack of communication from school. The only time you find out how is your child doing is when they bring the reports every quarter. How can you help your child learning if you don't even know they need help?! I actually first rated bad but now after reviewing my summary here I'm changing to terrible.

Any excuse to take a day off for this school!! Now that they have extended the Mondays, they take any day off.. Management implements extra days off.. Not good.

We have had a poor experience in the primary grades this year. Some of the teachers seem to rely mainly on worksheets and "drill and kill" type teaching. It is all teaching to the test, even at this age. The teaching is not very creative or engaging, and the day is long and stressful for the little ones, especially Kindergarten, with almost no play time at all. If your child isn't happy with this approach, they say there is something wrong with your child. They refuse to talk about bullying issues and get angry if you suggest that there is anything not perfect in their school. It pains me to write a bad review of this school since we deliberately moved here because it was supposed to be good. I think a lot depends on what teachers you get and what kind of child you have, but in our case we are definitely disappointed and are considering going elsewhere next year.

It was bad, now it's going towards worse... Every year someone introduces something new in the curriculum. This year is called "Holey Cards" a speed test that ONLY teaches anxiety. We will see where this one is headed to.. This education system is creating guinea pigs out of our children.. NOT happy with this school.

Not great, not bad. My daughter attended kindergarten here and her teacher (Mander) quit part of the way through the year, due to behavior problems during class. The replacement was a nightmare teacher who was harsh to the kids, did not communicate to the parents, and began teaching knee-jerk memorization in an attempt to raise - kindergartners - test scores? My kindergartner was very talented and had trouble finding a place in a school where there is little art, not enough music & movement-based curriculum, as did many of the other kids. Greatschools calls this a good school simply because the socioeconomic class of these parents means kids are in LOTS of supplementary arts, language & sports activities not provided by elementary school.

Our family moved to Burke after our daughter completed kinder in another state. We were amazed at how well BBES was run compared to her last elementary school. First and second grade were amazing years for our daughter, so much so we had a hard time deciding what to do for 3rd grade and AAP. We did end up switching schools for AAP, but honestly regret it. Our youngest is still at BBES and we know she will stay there till the end (we wont make the same mistake twice). The teachers and staff go out of their way to help and have always been available to talk and more importantly listen! Love BBES

Last modified Bonnie Brae Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.