Falls Church High School 3

Posted November 29, 2014
I can't believe that parent just said there was no bullying at FCHS. Sure, the academics are average. My biology class as more students than seats and all the other biology honors are filled up. Still, there's a decent curriculum at the school although there are a lot of Freshmen this year taking up a lot of room and maximizing the student:teacher ratio. But there is bullying. I see a boy in my gym class, I think he has an IEP but he's not in adapted physical education, get bullied. Sure, I won't stand up for him. It's not really going to help me, is it? But don't say that there is no bullying. It goes on more frequently than you know but I won't say that Falls Church has more bullying than other schools. I'm just saying that it's happening and you shouldn't use such a bold statement like "Falls Church has absolutely (capitalized) no bullying."

Posted November 16, 2014
Falls Church is a hidden gem. Advanced students can (and do/my son is Advanced academics, tri-athelete honor roll) excel in a small-medium high school environment; especially because the student and teacher culture is intimate, and NON-CLIQUE, NON-BULLYING... All students work together and help and support each other. Your child won't get lost in a crowd! Solid sports programs, depending on the sport; student with that aptitude attract college recruiters. Truly a hidden and under-rated gem of a school. No crime or drug problems; these kids are mostly good solid kids and citizens. Our son has truly excelled there, and after one week, he loved it so much he flat out refused the thought of moving to a more 'prestigious' (snobby, big, clicky) nearby district. This intimate and personal learning environment is like what smaller high schools used to be; but are so hard to find now.

Posted October 20, 2014
In 2014 FCHS SAT scores trended upward while the rest of the state and the nation trended downward or just held steady in all three areas. This tells you a lot about how well the teachers are doing in this diverse school!!

Posted April 26, 2014
Falls Church High School is a small international public school inside the beltway that is underrated. I have been offered the opportunity for more prestigious jobs at other schools, but I have chosen to stay at Falls Church because the students and teachers are world class. We have teachers from the top universities in the U.S., and a few of us have doctorates. I teach at Falls Church during the day and at GMU at night. If you want a diverse and caring atmosphere for your child with exceptional extra-curricular opportunities, then Falls Church High School should be on your list of schools to consider.

Posted November 20, 2013
Falls Church High School is the best kept secret in Fairfax County. Don't be fooled by what you hear (most people with negative comments have never attended this school). My kids have been at FCHS for 7 years. If you want your child to be at a small school, where everyone knows you and accepts you and wants your child to succeed at all costs, then FCHS is the school for you. I have never seen such kind kids and faculty, with so much school spirit. The class sizes are small, communication from the teachers is amazing (progress reports every other week sent electronically), and the teachers are so accommodating to staying after to help our students succeed. The pride of being a Jaguar is paramount and the sense of community is of no other. I would highly recommend this high school to anyone in this community and feel sorry for those who listen to silly rumors and not allow their children to have such a wonderful high school experience of a stress free community where everyone accepts eachother.

Posted December 01, 2012
Falls Church High School is a treasure! This school has educated all of my children over the past 9 years and did a fabulous job! The band program is probably the best in FCPS with the most dedicated director you will find anywhere. The athletics program provides participation opportunities for any student who wants to be involved. The principal is passionate about student achievement and strives that every student is personally known by someone at the school. The teachers send electronic progress reports to parents every two weeks and they offer a multitude of opportunities for students to receive extra time and attention if they need help with the content. The teachers care not only about their subject matter, but also about the kids. They strive for active and engaging learning experiences that are not strictly boring lectures. This is a GREAT school that is sometimes overlooked due to a long past reputation that is not accurate. The building needs renovation, but inside the teachers, staff, AND students are the BEST! I support this school wholeheartedly! At this school, students get a small-school experience in a very big school system.

Posted February 05, 2012
My kids really need a strong no-nonsense culture at the school they attend. My kids will not do well in an culture/environment that is full of distractions and kids that are not committed to learning. I understand this school has a strong AP program, but what about the kids that are not AP? I am a little concerned about my kids attending this school.

Posted January 14, 2012
Falls Church is a wonderful high school. We have one son in college who received an excellent education that has prepared him for college and life. We have two more sons at FCHS now who could not be happier. They are in Honors and AP classes with their friends and play on 4 sports teams. Because FCHS is a small school, our kids get to play the sport of their choice; kids at other high schools can't always do that! Any negative buzz about FCHS is false, spread by people who may not want their kids to go to an academically rigorous school with a diverse population. Spend 30 minutes here and you know the students, teachers, and administration are the best you can find. (Yes, the building needs renovation, but we are working on that!)

Posted January 11, 2012
Falls Church is an awesome school with great administrators, teachers and students. We are working on updating the building conditions but the children there are doing well despite of needing renovations.

Posted February 18, 2011
This is a very small school in a very large and often uncaring school system. It is like a breath of fresh air compared with other high schools we have been exposed to. The student body is very diverse, yet there are no fights and little drug use. Students find opportunities to excel that might not happen at other bigger schools. I think of one girl we knew whose parents did not speak much English. She was an AP scholar, a top musician, and a 3 sport athlete. She received a full academic scholarship to college. In another Fairfax County school, she would have been just another kid. But Falls Church has teachers, administrators, and a principal who push kids like her to excel and the opportunities are there for the taking. The new principal is a strict, loving mother who wants the best for all "her kids." She is the best thing to happen to this school in years.

Falls Church High School
7521 Jaguar Trail, Falls Church, VA  22042
Last modified Falls Church High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Falls Church High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top